Getting hit in the face a trigger?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
I got hit in the face today by my strong and fun loving toddler!
He was playing with my lips and we call him BamBam (from the Flintstones? Anyone else remember that show?)
So he did a BamBam on my face and down I went sliding to the floor and safely bringing him down to the carpet with me.
I did a simple partial for awhile and then it escalated a bit.

Does this happen to anyone else?
I hope people don't get hit in the face very often, that's for sure!
It's only pain in my face that seems to do it. Pain elsewhere is no problem.
Not that I should be proud of this or anything! Tee hee.

Just curious.

I havnt had that happen to me before. But maybe someone else can chime in with a similar experience.

Well I can say that being hit in the face never made me feel more likely to have a seizure. When I was fully healthy and did spar full contact, I never felt unusual. Recently my cousin had a kickboxing match and he was showing his punching techniques and got me right in the nose. It was a light hit but it still really shocked my system. Maybe that could be a reason, it seems like any shock to the system can spark something in the brain.

LJ, when I was 7 I took a baseball to the eye in little league. I remember looking out the window while my dad drove me to the eye doctor. I felt like I was looking at a train model. Everything was miniature. House seemed to be a quarter of their size. I remember asking my dad “how do people fit inside of them?”. After being diagnosed with TLE, I realized it was a Micropsia Simple Partial. Actually I realized a lot of unexplained things from my childhood we simple partial seizures. Thus, the beast has been with me from the beginning. I take comfort in know, I didn’t do anything to cause this…

When I'm struggling with fighting my seizures I have to tell my kids not to hang on mommy's head. My son likes to climb on my head sometimes. My neck is very sensitive at triggering my seizures because of a muscle spasm that I have that pinches a nerve in my neck. So for the most part I can't have them do anything to my head that puts further pressure on that nerve. I wonder if you got a little whiplash or something.

Hmm... I took a combatives class (a couple actually) that included boxing... One of the times I took the class was after my first seizure, and I didn't have any issues. Or at least I don't remember having any issues?

Thanks guys for all of the responses! I guess if affects some people and not others.

RunningGirl...combative classes sound very empowering!

Cordero...the neck issues make sense. So many nerves hanging about there.

P-Funk...it's amazing how many things from childhood make sense when you think about it. It all probably started so long ago. I looked at a public school report card that my mom gave me recently when they moved and one of the remarks said that I often appeared to be daydreaming. Hmmmm. Baseball to the eye? Ouch!

Muay...a shock to the system makes sense. Your poor nose!

Thanks for responding Kristin!

Well getting hit in the face can be a form of a head trauma, the head traumas I've had, have mostly been to the front of my skull, 4 out of 7 of them and 3 of which resulted in bleeding and or stitches. Whenever you get hit in the face, it rattles your brain, since the face is part of the skull that is connected to the top of your head and brain.

Whenever Jon gets any sort of bump to the head, he'll often have a seizure. I don't think he's ever been hit in the face (hard), but he's an active boy with no sense of danger, so often gets bumps to various parts of his head.

When he was a baby and learning to sit up, he'd sometimes lose his balance and fall over backward or to the side, and even tho it was on carpet, that would trigger a seizure. We had to surround him with pillows and foam until he got better sitting skills.

Back
Top Bottom