Gritting Teeth

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tinasmom

New
Reaction score
Nicole does a lot of tossing and turning at night and grits her teeth alot. Could this possibly be seizures? We have a video baby monitor and we are not seeing any of her usual seizure activity. I was wondering if anyone else has had this with seizures.

I think you would have to have a 24-hour (or sleep time) EEG to determine that. A lot of people grind their teeth (bruxism) and toss and turn at night. It's not necessarily seizure activity.

Nicole does a lot of tossing and turning at night and grits her teeth alot. Could this possibly be seizures? We have a video baby monitor and we are not seeing any of her usual seizure activity. I was wondering if anyone else has had this with seizures.

I grind my teeth, it's actually called
"teeth grinding" and you should bring
it up to the Neuro. It's part of the
Reflex / Gelastic seizure (along with
laughter, crying, teeth grinding, startle,
etc).

Need references? Talk to my mom and
my sister and my ex and my son and...
they will tell you how it drives them up
the friggin' wall! It doesn't last very
long, but it's not good for the teeth.

Personally, Orthodontic Plates are a
waste of money, I would grind those
plates down in a week!

I still have those nocturnals, but a Neuro
I had taught me how to sleep
right - which is different than a normal
people's sleep. But it does work, and the
teeth grinding, laughter, crying,
and the epileptic episodes were reduced
a lot - but I do have episodes now and
then.

So keep a diary, journal, or a log.

If yours has a video - RECORD IT!

Brain -

Thank you for the info. Our monitor does not have the capability to record, but I will start to keep a log. I hate to say this, but it is very annoying to hear her grinding her teeth so much and so hard. My husband even told me that he had to turn the monitor down last night because he could not get to sleep. He said that he hated to do it but he needed to get some sleep because he has issues sleeping. He is a below knee amputee and has constant pain in his stump when he is trying to sleep.

I will talk to her Neuro about this.

The moment you hear her grind her
teeth; do what everyone else does
to me ...

Turn me over to my side. I'm at the
worse on my back or on my stomach,
and when they turn me on the side,
they never wake me up because I'm
sound asleep. It helps a lot if you
record (log) the time and if she was
in what position too.

Don't worry, you won't wake her
up.

Actually, she is mainly on her side and it seems to happen when she is tossing and turning alot. As for waking her up, she is a light sleeper and wakes up very easily. One night, I checked on her before I went to bed and when I pulled her blanket up, she woke up and thought it was time to get ready for school.

Actually, she is mainly on her side and it seems to happen when she is tossing and turning alot. As for waking her up, she is a light sleeper and wakes up very easily. One night, I checked on her before I went to bed and when I pulled her blanket up, she woke up and thought it was time to get ready for school.

Interesting!

Let me know what the Neuro says!

Her next appointment is next month and by then I will be able to present a log with this info.

Teeth grinding

My first tonic-clonic seizure that we are aware of was when I was 20. However, my mother used to talk about me grinding my teeth as a child. I was also on a fishing trip shortly before my first sz and my buddies said I was grinding my teeth really bad.

I have often wondered if I had nocturnal sz when I was younger and it was never discovered. I shared a bedroom with a much younger brother in my teens who would not have noticed anything unusual. I also used to wake up with headaches that may have been postictal. Who knows?

My first tonic-clonic seizure that we are aware of was when I was 20. However, my mother used to talk about me grinding my teeth as a child. I was also on a fishing trip shortly before my first sz and my buddies said I was grinding my teeth really bad.

I have often wondered if I had nocturnal sz when I was younger and it was never discovered. I shared a bedroom with a much younger brother in my teens who would not have noticed anything unusual. I also used to wake up with headaches that may have been postictal. Who knows?

Make a note of this and discuss
this with your Neurologist on your
next appointment.

I grind my teeth, it's actually called
"teeth grinding" and you should bring
it up to the Neuro. It's part of the
Reflex / Gelastic seizure (along with
laughter, crying, teeth grinding, startle,
etc).

Need references? Talk to my mom and
my sister and my ex and my son and...
they will tell you how it drives them up
the friggin' wall! It doesn't last very
long, but it's not good for the teeth.

Personally, Orthodontic Plates are a
waste of money, I would grind those
plates down in a week!

I still have those nocturnals, but a Neuro
I had taught me how to sleep
right - which is different than a normal
people's sleep. But it does work, and the
teeth grinding, laughter, crying,
and the epileptic episodes were reduced
a lot - but I do have episodes now and
then.

So keep a diary, journal, or a log.

If yours has a video - RECORD IT!

I can act as a reference here :) If you are looking for a night guard to protect your teeth, I would recommend checking out TotalGard. My college friend suffers from seizures and grinds his teeth hardcore, during a time of exams. Exams bring on a tremendous amount of stress/anxiety for all of us, which also contributes to my friend's seizures. I would definitely recommend googling "TotalGard" .. they make affordable and durable night guards. :banana:

Dave

Teeth guards wouldn't do any good with
my teeth now .. sorry, but thanks for the
post that may be worthwhile to others.

Dilantin and T/C's have pretty much destroyed
my teeth ... anyone have those wind up teeth?

:bigsmile:

I used to have pretty severe night time tooth grinding. I didn't even know about the seizure association. I guess it makes sense, though. My husband just told me it went away about the time I switched off of the Tegretol onto the Lamictal. Did a search, apparently a temporal lobe association.

That's what my dentist said was causing my back teeth to crumble. My daughter DID suck her thumb at night, until an awful night 9 weeks ago when she drew blood by biting into it during a seizure.

Back
Top Bottom