Hand, please come back.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
In December, I had my video EEG done. Roughly 24 hours after my Dilantin was stopped, my left had went numb and tingly, as if I had been sitting on it. The nurses in the unit wondered if it might be a precursor to a seizure, because I hadn't had on in the unit, yet. Sure enough, the next day, they came fast and furious, and the numbness remained until the day after my Dilantin was restarted.

Just before being discharged, one of the neurologists came to talk to whoever chose to stay, and since he was the one that would review the data, I wanted to explain why it might have looked like I was always shaking or rubbing my hand. He thought it was bizarre, but explained that a far-fetched guess would be that there's an area close to the right temporal lobe that affects (?) a nerve that runs into the hand... and could be related.

This weekend was particularly stressful, so it's no surprise that I had 10 seizures between Sunday and Monday, even though I'm now on Dilantin and Phenobarbital. Interestingly, my left hand went numb yesterday afternoon again, and now about 18 hours later, it's still numb and tingly! It's driving me crazy. Thankfully, my follow-up appointment is on Tuesday, so I don't have too long to wait, but does anyone have any input, or anything that I can try to do in the meantime?

Thanks all!

Well, the only thing that went numb or tingling during my VEEG was when i had the seizures... it started out with an offish feeling, followed by my left hand and foot going tingling/numb... that feeling would then spread to my upper body, all the way to the face area, where the last thing i recall of the seiuzre, is the roof of my mouth feeling like a million needles were attacking it. Once the seiuzre was over, the numb/tingling feeling went away. Then in may 2011, when my last neuro was trying to wean me slowly off of keppra, i went from 3000mgs down to 2500mgs, before i had to stop due to a reaction with the Lamictal he was trying to get me on... I had the tingling and numbness in my left hand and foot again. It wasnt til I was put back to the 3000mgs of Keppra XR that it went away. So all in all... those were the times I had the tingling or numb feeling. Now I think it was due to being off the medications or not having enough medications at the time.

Thanks Kristin! The Dilantin and Phenobarbital have been the easiest for me to tolerate so far, and while I've had a little success in seizure control, I just wonder if it'll go away with a higher dosage?! I did speak to the Neurologist's nurse yesterday, and she said we'd do blood work when I'm in next week, so I'm sure I'll find out something then. Just weird... and annoying!

Oh yeah, i remember having to stay on the 2500mgs of Keppra for three weeks, before I went in to see the neuro again. During that time, I had the tingling and numb stuff going on with my left hand and foot. It drove me nuts! When I finally got word that they didnt want to add another medication, i asked to please be put back to 3000mgs of Keppra xr. thankfully they agreed and within a couple of days, all that had gone away. So for me, the higher dose made it better! :)

Back
Top Bottom