Have you written a will?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mantis

Pillar
Reaction score
Obviously, this is a very morbid topic but I do think it's a sensible one. By clicking this thread you should have been prepared anyway. Next year I'll finally have surgery to "cure" me of my temporal lobe epilepsy after waiting many years. The chance I'll either die or be incapacitated is very low, but then again so was my epilepsy. I might only be twenty-eight but the odds of dying from SUDEP is much higher for young adults.

I know a lot of people would write this idea off as "over the top" or that I'm taking things too seriously, but when people write wills I believe the odds of them dying in the next year (unless written because of a terminal illness) are lower than somebody with epilepsy (or having the surgery and SUDEP risk, but don't quote me on stats) so I think this is a perfectly reasonable thing for even somebody my age to do.

I don't have a lot of money, but my valuables are enough to clear any debts with some extra cash for my parents. I'd also like to pass any online assets and access to those (yet to be determined, but there are a few I know) who may be interested in continuing the websites I own. Fortunately in the UK there are some free will-writing services for those with disabilities. The same might be available to those in other countries.

If you've done this, how was your experience? Was it quite an easy thing to do? Did you choose to have some of the money sent to epilepsy charities? (I might do that for some of it, but there won't be much.)

Last edited:
I have no money, and a lot of debt :( I'm working now in hopes to pay off that debt but a will seems useless to me, only because I have nothing but junk to give. The most valuable thing I have is my $3000 truck and even that is in my husbands name haha.

If you have anything to give, or anything of significance you don't want to leave up in the air, I think a will is very important and a wonderful idea. I've taken a lot of law classes that show the importance of a will even at a young age.

I wonder if I could put my enemy in my will as the person responsible for my debt?! Hahaha >:D

No I don't because I keep putting it off. So far I've only bought some life insurance and set up a small annuity.

Obviously, this is a very morbid topic but I do think it's a sensible one. By clicking this thread you should have been prepared anyway. Next year I'll finally have surgery to "cure" me of my temporal lobe epilepsy after waiting many years. The chance I'll either die or be incapacitated is very low, but then again so was my epilepsy. I might only be twenty-eight but the odds of dying from SUDEP is much higher for young adults.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no "cure" for epilepsy. Yes I did have a will written before I had my FAILED brain surgery, thinking it would "cure" me of my seizures. Sadly, it only made my epilepsy worse, plus depression!

Mantis said:
I know a lot of people would write this idea off as "over the top" or that I'm taking things too seriously, but when people write wills I believe the odds of them dying in the next year (unless written because of a terminal illness) are lower than somebody with epilepsy (or having the surgery and SUDEP risk, but don't quote me on stats) so I think this is a perfectly reasonable thing for even somebody my age to do.

People die at all ages for different reasons. I know a family who lost their daughter at 15 years old because of SUDEP. I lost two cousins in their teens because of muscular dystrophy. I almost lost my son because of extreme asthma. He had to be hospitalized several times because of it.
Accidents happen every day to "normal" people!!
When my father had a stroke at 69 years old, my parents did not have a will drawn out yet. That was so foolish!! Had my father died that same day, there would not have been a will and the family would have to go to court to get it all straightened out--- who gets what. Fortunately, he survived another 15 years and we, the family, helped my parents get the will drawn up. Everyone NEEDS to have a will!!

Mantis said:
If you've done this, how was your experience? Was it quite an easy thing to do? Did you choose to have some of the money sent to epilepsy charities? (I might do that for some of it, but there won't be much.)

Yes, it was an easy thing to do. I wanted any $$ that was left to be used on my two children (who are now grown). That is still where I want it to go should/when anything happen(s) to me.

Last edited:
I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no "cure" for epilepsy. Yes I did have a will written before I had my FAILED brain surgery, thinking it would "cure" me of my seizures. Sadly, it only made my epilepsy worse, plus depression!

Exactly, hence my use of quotation marks! Epilepsy's like a little demon. Even if the surgery works out, it will just put that demon in a prison. There's no guarantee he won't figure out how to pry the cell door open in the future.

When waiting to see my neuro on Saturday (who finally confirmed my surgery) in the reception area there was also a man with temporal lobe epilepsy. The difference was that he had epilepsy surgery a year ago and it was a success. He was just going for a check-up. Told me about how he was able to at last do another 180 on his life and get it back in order.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, and I'm afraid the same might happen to me. Life's a gamble I guess. I've had chronic depression for a long time with anxiety and agoraphobia and I have no idea what I'll do if the surgery makes it worse. My neuro says there's a 2/3 chance of success with most of the remaining 1/3 being reduced seizures but not seizure-free. Smart guy, he is. I always learn a lot from even a brief conversation. :ponder:

No will yet. It's at the bottom of my "To-Do" pile. Not tht fond if lawyers I guess...

Even if you don't make a will, you should put together instructions explaining which things go to which people. That will provide guidance should there be a need (god forbid) to divvy up your estate.

When waiting to see my neuro on Saturday (who finally confirmed my surgery) in the reception area there was also a man with temporal lobe epilepsy. The difference was that he had epilepsy surgery a year ago and it was a success. He was just going for a check-up. Told me about how he was able to at last do another 180 on his life and get it back in order.
:ponder: I was seizure-free for a year, too. The seizures came back with vengeance after 14 months.

Mantis said:
I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, and I'm afraid the same might happen to me. Life's a gamble I guess. I've had chronic depression for a long time with anxiety and agoraphobia and I have no idea what I'll do if the surgery makes it worse. My neuro says there's a 2/3 chance of success with most of the remaining 1/3 being reduced seizures but not seizure-free. Smart guy, he is. I always learn a lot from even a brief conversation. :ponder:

Yes, life is a gamble.
I hope any doctor treating something as complicated as temporal lobe epilepsy is smart, otherwise we would be wandering down the path to destruction.

I haven't written up a will yet I keep putting it off. The only thing I have done is put down whose to receive my insurances and my investments. I really have
no excuse not to have the will done. I have decided that most of the stuff I own is going to charities. Wishing you well and May God Bless You

Sue

:ponder: I was seizure-free for a year, too. The seizures came back with vengeance after 14 months.

How long ago was it when you had your surgery and what kinds of tests (and the amount of them) were performed beforehand? From what I've learned epilepsy research and technology have come a long way in the last decade or two, so I believe the odds of success are significantly higher.

Back
Top Bottom