Heart Rate?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bee91

New
Reaction score
I'm kind of wondering if low heart rate can cause seizures...anyone know for sure?

I went status yesterday :( and while I was hooked up to the heart monitor, my heart rate was dropping into the low 40s. But my heart rate has gotten down to even the low 30s! :eek: It does that from time to time. And I know with out proper blood flow to the brain, bad things can happen...is seizures a possible side effect?

I'm kind of wondering if low heart rate can cause seizures...anyone know for sure?

I went status yesterday :( and while I was hooked up to the heart monitor, my heart rate was dropping into the low 40s. But my heart rate has gotten down to even the low 30s! :eek: It does that from time to time. And I know with out proper blood flow to the brain, bad things can happen...is seizures a possible side effect?

My Cardiologist says it can go both ways, High and Low HR
can trigger seizures! And I've gone SE and back-to-back, but it's really
difficult to know if it's a result of having had a tonic clonic seizure and
you didn't come back in a timely fashion where you lapsed into a cardiac
and/or respiratory arrest, or you just lapsed into a very high or low
HR or BP (blood pressure) or both - and either way, not enough blood
and oxygen gets into the brain can trigger seizures, or it could be both
of them in conjunction (together) - it could be a lot of things going on,
and it can be a complicated issue altogether for a lot of reasons. And
the Doctors will have to monitor everything closely.

I am SO sorry that you went status!

:(

I hope you're feeling better!

feelbetter_l.jpg

Last edited:
See this thread here and then there's another
thread link in that thread that Bernard posted
as well - that's in tune with what you've posted.

About SVT

It wasn't that long ago I nearly went
SUDEP and my son and
his soon to be fiancee saved my life in the nick of time.
I nearly died in my sleep!

I hope they can figure out why the heart rate was fluctuating so much. Sorry to hear about your seizures. :(

Hi Bee,

Hope you are feeling better! I have a question for you..did you have your heart rate problem at night or during the day? I am curious, because I have always had the same issues and was looking for more info. I basically wake up from a deep sleep..shocked awake. I feel like I am barely hanging on or breathing. My heart barely beating. Then it eventually goes crazy and beats extremely fast..yet I still feel shallow. I also get different seizure things..eyes blinking, numb, twitchy, tingly,cold etc. It is a horrible feeling. I actually stumbled onto that info. about SVT and it sounded similar to the way I felt. Keep me posted and I hope you are doing well. Mine are complex partial,left temp. lobe. I'd be curious to know what symptoms you have too. Were you born in 91? You are as old as our son. We also have a daughter that'll be 14 in Nov.
Take care!
Michelle

Hi Bee,

Hope you are feeling better! I have a question for you..did you have your heart rate problem at night or during the day? I am curious, because I have always had the same issues and was looking for more info. I basically wake up from a deep sleep..shocked awake. I feel like I am barely hanging on or breathing. My heart barely beating. Then it eventually goes crazy and beats extremely fast..yet I still feel shallow. I also get different seizure things..eyes blinking, numb, twitchy, tingly,cold etc. It is a horrible feeling. I actually stumbled onto that info. about SVT and it sounded similar to the way I felt. Keep me posted and I hope you are doing well. Mine are complex partial,left temp. lobe. I'd be curious to know what symptoms you have too. Were you born in 91? You are as old as our son. We also have a daughter that'll be 14 in Nov.
Take care!
Michelle

Thank you everyone. This all answers my question! :)

As for your question, I usually do have the problem at night or anytime I am resting. I don't think, but I'm not sure, the seizure had to do with the low heart rate since I have had a history of bradycardia. But yeah, I usually have an even lower heart rate when I'm sleeping. I also have left temporal complex partial seizures. Yeah...I have had some of the same problems as you...that's strange...maybe it has to do with E?:ponder:

See this thread here and then there's another
thread link in that thread that Bernard posted
as well - that's in tune with what you've posted.

About SVT

It wasn't that long ago I nearly went
SUDEP and my son and
his soon to be fiancee saved my life in the nick of time.
I nearly died in my sleep!

I'm so sorry, Brain!! Are you doing alright now?

(((((((((((Brain))))))))))))

I feel a lot better, but I still feel kind of post-ictal...it's the longest I've ever stayed this way, which creeps me out a little...:eek:

my heart rate goes really high when i have a tonic clonic and takes anbout 30 minutes or so to ruturn to normal sometimes longer just depends maybe even and hour or so even when im really relaxed, and no longer seizing.

Have you been tested for Sleep Apnea yet? There is a connection between the two and Michelle discribed what it feels like being awaken from an episode.

You might want to suggest to your doctor to have a sleep study done.

I basically wake up from a deep sleep..shocked awake. I feel like I am barely hanging on or breathing. My heart barely beating. Then it eventually goes crazy and beats extremely fast..yet I still feel shallow. I also get different seizure things..eyes blinking, numb, twitchy, tingly,cold etc. It is a horrible feeling.

Isn't that why they do the heavy breathing at the beginning of the EEG?

I know increased heart rate is one of the things I'm supposed to look for when determining if I had a seizure. Come to think of it though, I've been interpreting that both ways - ie Increased heart rate causes seizures, seizures cause increased heart rate.

I do have sleep apnea, and most of my seizure related problems were initially attributed to sleep apnea. I don't use my c-pap though, because i sometimes had bad seizures at night, and I don't think its safe to be flipflopping around with the cpap - I'm worried that the machine will be jerked off the stand and the water will spill out, rather than having the hose disconnect

Don't have facts to support it, but think it is a two way street.

The seizures could definitely be causing a lower heart rate as they interfere with the body's core functions. Remember most of us stop breathing during the worst of our seizures.

On the flip side, with your history of Brady, the loss of O2 the brain could also be a trigger for you.

Either way, I am SO GLAD you are getting better. :rock:

We still need someone with cool shades around here. They just don't go with my graying hair.:roflmao:

Hey Bee

I hope you get to feeling better soon.........we need you around here! Please take care of yourself.......hopefully the doctors can figure this thing out for you.....

Hope you're getting better, Bee!

I am getting a sleep study now from the earlier post. I do know I snore! I woke myself up.

I know they have those wedges that can be placed on a bed to raise the head. Apnea is caused by relaxation of neck muscles. And a different sleeping angle may open the airway more.

Back
Top Bottom