Help please! Vision loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Does anybody loose their vision during seizures? As in very blurred not black spots?
My daughter has had constant blurred vision between her episodes for 2 weeks now. It gets very blurred when she has an "episode" (we don't have a concrete diagnosis of seizures) for about an hour. But it's STILL yet to return to normal which is scaring me! Could the seizures have done permanent damage?????

What kind of meds is she on? When I was on Depakote (to much) as a teenager and young adult I saw double all the time.This is the time to take her to the dr. or to the hospital and have blood levels done. no one deserves to live like that.

We have just returned from one week at Princess Margaret Hospital in Perth where the conclusion was "she is making it up" grr :(
Her teacher is freaking out that is star student is failing to complete the simplest tasks at school.
What bloods would they do?

She is on cloberzam but it's not the meds, she's on the meds because of these symptoms and the only thing they found on her tests was benign focal epilepsy.
Courtney was telling news yesterday and went blank for about 10 seconds. Then got confused & said "where was I?" and carried on. Shortly after that her vision went very blurry, she had a "body zap" and sharp pains in her arm & she fell asleep! This is the child who has NEVER slept in the day.

Has anybody else had vision loss?? :(

When my seizure activity is higher it is harder for me to focus. ie - I can't read text in books and often on websites. I'll look at it and try to force my eyes to focus but its like double vision blurry. Very frustrating.

My seizures come in clusters, for example, sun night 8/19 - tues night = 10 seizures. I had 2 more thurs day and off and on that even, 1 on sat. Today I am able to see good and yesterday was the day that I call the first good day after the storm. All last week tho the vision problems stayed consistent during the seizures.

And that's pretty standard for me.

It's like getting the flu or drunk...you feel like crap/can't focus and it slowly shakes itself off of you. At least for me.

For me seizures = problems with vision, course I have severe migraines I'm sure that doesn't help.

She is on cloberzam but it's not the meds, she's on the meds because of these symptoms and the only thing they found on her tests was benign focal epilepsy.
Courtney was telling news yesterday and went blank for about 10 seconds. Then got confused & said "where was I?" and carried on. Shortly after that her vision went very blurry, she had a "body zap" and sharp pains in her arm & she fell asleep! This is the child who has NEVER slept in the day.

It could be the side effects of the med that are causing blurred vision. And when she went blank for those 10 seconds, it sounds like a simple partial seizure. I've been on different meds, and have had blurred vision before. Here is info about clobazam:

SIDE EFFECTS: Drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, headache, constipation, weight gain, fever, cough, drooling, trouble sleeping, or nausea may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: slow/shallow breathing, mental/mood/behavior changes (e.g., agitation, nervousness, confusion, memory loss), muscle weakness, loss of coordination, shaking (tremor) of the fingers,vision changes (e.g., blurred vision, double vision), slurred speech, decrease in sexual interest, painful urination.A small number of people who take anticonvulsants for any condition may experience depression, suicidal thoughts/attempts, or other mental/mood problems. Tell your doctor immediately if you or your family/caregiver notice any unusual/sudden changes in your mood, thoughts, or behavior including signs of depression, suicidal thoughts/attempts, thoughts about harming yourself.A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist

Blurred vision is also associated with several kinds of epilepsy, including occipital epilepsy. Did she have any CT and MRI scans done while at the hospital? If so, were any lesions or calcifications present?

If the clobazam isn't helping, a different med may need to be tried. You might also want to look into a Modified Atkins or gluten-free diet to see if it helps.

It could be the side effects of the med that are causing blurred vision. And when she went blank for those 10 seconds, it sounds like a simple partial seizure. I've been on different meds, and have had blurred vision before. Here is info about clobazam:

I read up on the meds as soon as they were prescribed & wondered why theyd give her drugs with dbl vision as a side effect when that was the symptom!

Blurred vision is also associated with several kinds of epilepsy, including occipital epilepsy. Did she have any CT and MRI scans done while at the hospital? If so, were any lesions or calcifications present?

If the clobazam isn't helping, a different med may need to be tried. You might also want to look into a Modified Atkins or gluten-free diet to see if it helps.

We eat Paleo which is similar but higher protein. We try to avoid gluten.
Her MRI & ct were clear except for a 9mm cyst in the centre of her brain which they said categorically was NOT causing these issues.

We have a 24 hr EEG booked for October 4! (long time:( )
The first 2 EEG's detected focal epilepsy in the top of her head but I'm so sure she is getting secondary generalized aswell from the back which causes the vision problems

Has anybody else had vision loss?? :(

I've had quite a bit more "floaters" over the past year... but when I have a full tonic-clonic I'm totally out of it
my vision prior to the seizure can tend to lose focus

I read up on the meds as soon as they were prescribed & wondered why theyd give her drugs with dbl vision as a side effect when that was the symptom!

All medications DO have side effects. Some folks may be effected whereas, others may not be.

because I didn't know what you were talking about: from Wikipedia "Paleolithic diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats, vegetables, fruit, fungi, roots, and nuts"

have you considered maybe food allergies? nuts, fungi, fish are often considered allergy type of foods

The paleo diet is no processed foods, chemicals, grains & minimal dairy.
High fats low carb and moderate protein.
Grains raise insulin levels in the blood that's why no grains. And many people have problems digesting gluten which can smash up the nutrient absorbing villi in the small intestine so we avoid gluten also.
Courtney would only eat fish once a fortnight and nuts about the same. The only thing she is allergic to is mollusks.
Mushrooms we might have once a week.

One of the seizue meds that I'm on will cause blurry/double vision. This happenes to me around once a month and it will sometimes last for an hour or longer. It's going on right now, not very bad though, and it's been happening for about 3 hours. Sometimes it will be so bad that I can't walk strait unless I close one eye. Usually the only way that I can make it go away is to fall asleep for awhile, when I wake up my vision is ok.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom