HOPE -- My heart runneth over.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
This past weekend, my 15 year old son and I had the honor and privilege of going to an annual Winter Family Retreat with Epilepsy Toronto.

The weekend was jam packed with activities, including skating, cross country skiing (both of which I haven't done in years, and only ended up with 1 bruise!) :rock:

Most activities were for children and adults alike, however, we did have two guest speakers, during which the kids went off to do something else. A Dr who specializes in memory (I could have listened to her for hours! 1, because it was very interesting 2, because I could relate to so much of what she was saying 3, because I've forgotten a lot of what she's said! :roflmao: Another seminar with a Neurologist who's just completed his fellowship at the hospital where I had both my surgeries, and is hoping to open another epilepsy clinic in the west end of the city. Much needed!! He discussed stigma, issues with medications, and other things I've forgotten, but thankfully, the presentations are going to be sent to us. Additionally, he decided to do a more informal chat with us women afterwards to discuss issues related to women with epilepsy. Wow, did we ever fire off some good questions, and leave him with homework!! He may have regretted making that suggestion! :ponder:

I made a lot of great connections; we laughed, sang, cried and fell in the snow together! But something extra special happened.

While the adults were in one of the seminars, the kids were in their own workshop, with an Art Therapist. I really wasn't sure how he'd feel about going there, as most of the kids were much younger. I figured he'd be helping the younger ones, and making the most of it, anyway. It's what he was doing while we were out skiing! Just the type of kid he is. :) As we were getting ready to go, he presented me with what he'd made in that workshop.

2my9tm8.jpg

Instant :crying: My son has seen me with seizures at 1-3 years of age, then again at 13-14 years old. The fact that he recognizes that some days, all we need is HOPE warms my heart, and makes me feel so proud to be his mother.

:clap: Terron. You are my star.

Last edited:
I'm glad you had a great weekend, and you have a wonderful memento to show for it. Very cool!

Awww. You'll have to excuse me, I've got something in my eye...

Seems I always do these days, too, Nak. As he handed it to me, he looked at me, and said, "oh mom, don't..." He stopped, knowing it would be a pointless request, and far too late to stop it :)

It sounds like you enjoyed yourself a lot which I am glad to hear and only one bruise. I bet that neurologist is thinking of you after all those questions :roflmao: the poor man.

That is some drawing Terron has done, goes to show how good Mum is and Terron. He realizes just how hard you have been having it and thinking of you.

Back
Top Bottom