How do you deal with SWIMMING?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Blondie47

New
Reaction score
Hello

My 13 year old has been seizure free for onyl 4 weeks now. She was diagonosed in October 2008.

We have a pool and she has always been my water baby! Now, sadly the pool looks like trap to me. And she knows the dangers too. Our epi doc made that very clear to her. My other children are enjoying the pool and it is depressing her. It is our first time dealing with the swim issue at home- she is exempt from swimming at school.

My rule is a lifejacket, and of course, 1 to 1 supervsion until she is seizure free for a year, then I will relinquish the life jacket. This is not going over well with her and she won't go near the pool.

How do you all support your teen and keep them safe on the pool issue.

Oh that's a tough one. Making rules for teenagers can be hard enough without E in the picture. I think you're doing the right thing, even though it's not easy for your daughter. Is there a different activity that you could offer during this difficult time to make up for the loss of swimming and help distract her? Movies? Get-togethers with her friends? Something weekly to look forward to?

Best,
Nakamova

you might wish to read my post below your's in the "kitchen", "Extreme heat & epildpsy".
Loopy Lou & RobinN have posted sound advice for us living with E. The pool is not off
limits, read their advice and you shall witness your child's wet cooling smile from your pool, how cool.

I would always have someone watching the pool. Even if you have to pay someone to sit and watch for signals of trouble. Being a swimmer myself it would have been difficult to stay out of the water. A seizure could easily look like waterplay. I know for a fact that I would not have worn a lifevest. Someone with lifesaving skills, or a very loud voice to call someone with lifesaving skills needs to be scanning the water at all times. There is a fine balance of being prepared, and hovering though.

I hope she can continue to swim. Exercise is extremely important for her health and emotional stability. My daughter is a competitive figure skater. There have been a few that want her off the ice. I have been adament that Rebecca be allowed to continue to skate. It is the one place that she is free. Make adjustments, and I am sure she will be fine. My daughter does not wear a helmet, nor would I ask her to. If there is any feeling off ill health, we take precautions.

What a sense of freedom on has when in the water. As my son said early on, "You can't put her in a bubble, Mom."

I went looking online for a lifevest that would have a full range of motion and not be a complete fashion disaster. Here is the best I found
waterskis.com has a Hyperlite Side Entry Wakeboard Vest Life Jacket

Maybe you could find better but it will take some searching.
I was not allowed to post a link.

My boyfriend's parents got a hook that if he were to have seizure in the pool, someone can use it to bring him to the shallower end of the pool and keep his head above water. They also have one of those red spongey floats that life guards have & blue floats that he can easily be pushed on top of. I'm not a great swimmer, so I'm trying to get better at swimming so I can help if he does seize in the pool.

if she has been doing well ... I personally - as a person with epilepsy - would go swimming. I would NEVER go alone but My mom and I delt with it my whole life (so far) and she never held me back. your daughter can't be " punished" for having seizures. she probably won't say it because she knows that you just care but she may feel that way. at her age you need to find out how she feels and talk to her about it. and really listen. when i was about 10 I went to an Epilepsy camp ... we went rock climbing. it was so much fun. it is imprtant that she is able to do things in a safe way but also in the way she wants to do it.

Melpier,

OMG- is she thinking that I am punishing her?

I am just so scared that something will happen.

Blondie,
I just think you need to talk to her and get her thoughts. she will need to start making these decisions on her own soon enough she is a teenager. unfortunately that means she won't "stay under your wing" much longer. she needs to know what and when she can and can't do things. she knows her body better then you do . I was only trying to make sure that she is telling you her true thoughts and feeling and not just trying to make you happy.
Have you told her about this site? she may get something out of it. If you do have her find me. i Hope i didnt worry you too much . just trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom