How many of us have SEEN one firsthand?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
I was just thinking something funny.

How many of us have actually witnessed a full blown tonic clonic seizure?

How odd it would be, I imagine.

I'd certainly like to think I'd know what to do, lol.

But, I've only known ONE person with E that presented that way and even that is loosely.

Just generally curious...

i have, watched a lady have one while i was working in a soup kitchen serving food once, everyone freaked out. so it wass a matter of calming everyone down, and getting an ambulance called, then going outside to quietly relax and have a seizure myself.

I have been with my Son for way too many T/Cs.....

they do stop scaring the hell outta you after a while.....once you know what to do..

keeps asking me to film it, but I never think of it, comforting him (just being there and gentle and making sure in safe comfortable position) just takes over...

I have never seen one in person. It would be very interesting though! I have watched a few on YouTube.

I haven't seen one in person either. My friends all have though :(

what a great question

I have not

I'd like to think I would know what to do, but it's tough to imagine what they really look like. I've tried to find good videos online but online videos have the tendency to all be filmed by the person least likely in the world to win the academy award for best director.

once I was in a mental facility a couple days where a girl would have 'episodes' that may have been types of seizures but not TCs, more like psychotic seizures or something. But there was staff there to deal with her.

If I really saw something I figured was a TC and didn't freak out and was able to understand what was going on, my reaction would be to just sit there with them, if they didn't have a medical bracelet I'd call 911, and when they started to come to I'd just keep telling them I have epilepsy and it looked like they had a seizure and that everything is ok, and ask if they want 911, and mostly just be there quietly with them, telling them I have seizures...

I used to do volunteer work with my local Epilepsy Foundation, so on several fund raising occasions, I have seen others have seizures, CP's and TC's. I also saw a young man go into a TC at a Barnes and Noble store once. Fortunately, there were others with him.

I've seen a friend have tonic clinics. I went to henshaws residential college for blind and visually impaired people in Yorkshire. Every time he seemed o get one in my room. I had to act quick moved things out of his way so he couldn't hurt himself then said hang on I'll get help and ran down the corridor to the staff they were up there in a flash. As soon as I said he was having a seizure they were right there. Obviously I got another friend to stay with him til staff got there. He kind of nearly landed in the recovery position once.

I have'nt seen one ever. but want to. I've asked my family to try to video me while I was having one. They all refuse to. plua I'm sure that's the last thy say it wouldn't be right.
I want to know what I look like-must be pretty freaky for them.
I think about what would I do if I witnessed one in person? I don't think I would know what to do..
great question

great video
further proof supporting my phobias of seizures in public
if I came to in public with some stranger slapping my face like that, that b***h would have a crushed trachea as soon as I could move my arms
good thing she 'called 911', because she'd need it.
but I'm glad that it instructed many more people like it seems to have hopefully done.

I wondered the same thing once but I am sure everybody here would know what to do and be calm, I think you would get angry at the way some people react and what can be said at lest I did. A girl in front of me one Sunday had a seizure and for the first few seconds I just sat there and watched then I got angry at her mother and a few others. You just seem to be very calm I think.

It's nice when you know the person and what their condition is. My brother, and two cousins had seizures before I hit puberty. I was the healthy one. The situation has changed.
My brother and one cousin had generalized epilepsy. One of the cousins did not have epilepsy, so if seizures occurred, it was due to hypoglycemia or other physical triggers that needed to be acted on quickly. If you are uncertain of the cause and outcome of those blasted seizures I'm not sure that being calm is that easy to do.

I have never seen one' Epilepsy is not uncommon. We need more awareness and maybe the younger generation should be educated within the schools system as to what it is and witness some videos of actual seizures so that if they witness a real one they are not going to be freaked out and will know what to do.

My husband's seizures came on suddenly, in adulthood, with no known cause. The first ever happened at the end of February, with a second at the end of March (coincidentally, both have occurred at exactly the same time of day -- 1:30 p.m. -- about an hour after he ate for the first time in the day). He hasn't had any in April, thus far, but the month is young.

The first seizure happened while in a meeting with his student government (less than a dozen kids), from a sitting position, falling over onto the floor. It seems to have been a classic tonic clonic, pretty severe, lasting 2-1/2 minutes with tongue biting and peripheral injuries to his thumbs (I think he now has permanent nerve damage from the incident, with continuing sensitivity on the back of his thumbs; he wears braces at night to give him support and to prevent him from grasping his thumbs). The remarkable thing about that seizure is that the student secretary had a tape recorder going, because he was taking minutes. The entire seizure -- including the onset of the epileptic cry, the crash of the chair onto the hard floor when he falls over, the students calmly calling 911 within a few seconds and dragging the tables and chairs out of the way, someone going to get the nursing program instructor down the hall who comes rushing in, and his postictal state when he is heard whimpering from the pain in his thumbs, then seeming to be responsive with nonverbal feedback to the instructor -- was recorded. I was able to listen to it, with my heart in my throat. However, he does not recall any of it. The first memory he has, post seizure, is the doctor in the ER asking him questions, to which he had no idea of the answers, which occurred 30 minutes later.

And, because I was able to hear the initiating cry, I recognized it when I heard it in March, at the onset of his second seizure. I was around back, planting seeds, while he was up front, talking to someone by the driveway. Suddenly, I heard the familiar sound and knew exactly what was happening. I ran like the wind and found him in the clonic stage. According to the witness, my husband, in mid sentence, apparently had stumbled backwards and fell over the split rail fencing, into the yard, as the seizure commenced. He was already on his left side, with bloody spittle coming out of his mouth, his eyes wide open, sweat pouring out of his head, and again, clenching his thumbs beneath his fingers as he shook. Once I slid onto the ground, I laid his head on one leg while trying to ease him away from the rose bush that was biting at his back and calves. Then, I carefully pried his thumbs out of his grip. Luckily, this prevented him from further injury. I went ahead and called 911, because judging from the witness description, I was afraid he might have hurt his neck or back.

While we waited for the EMTs to arrive (I live in a rural area, on a farm), he stopped the clonic phase and started to roll around a bit, so I helped him sit up. He immediately fell asleep in that position, with his head dangling forward. I noticed he was not able to breathe well, so I tried to get him to lie down again. Before long, he became agitated, then somewhat aggressive, eyes wide open and staring (lights on, nobody hom look) and gritting his teeth, while trying to pull me down to the ground with brute force. That was scary. Then, he turned onto his stomach, in an attempt to get up on his hands and knees, all while cursing and spitting nonsensical words out. I mean, it was total gibberish, except for the "F" word, he got right every time. If it wasn't such a serious moment, I might have laughed. When the witness got concerned and reached out to help me, my husband grabbed the guy's arm and tried to pull him down, too.

After a couple of minutes, he calmed down and laid down. Not long after that, the EMTs arrived and lifted him onto a stretcher. I rode along in the ambulance and could overhear the attending personnel, asking my husband questions, to which he replied fairly coherently. He knew his wife's name (me), could spell it, definitively thought he was at the college instead of home, responded with a chuckle and, "that's a good question," when asked what day of the week it was. Once again, however, he recalls none of this. The first recall is the same scenario, of the doctor in the ER asking him questions, about half an hour after the event.

It IS scary to witness a loved one go through what appears to be a traumatic experience. However, I forced myself to remain calm and made sure he was safe. I suppose he could have hurt me without realizing it, but I was able to quickly retreat from his reach. I don't understand that part of the seizure causing aggression, as I haven't read much about it. However, thanks to the many resources out there, and, particularly, groups like this with people who share their own experiences, I was able to get through it okay.

So far, he's doing okay on his meds (low dose 25 mg Lamictal, as we're new to this and in the process of working up to a therapeutic level; 500mg x2 Keppra, in the interim). I do notice that he's a little pale, however. Otherwise, no noticeable side effects yet. On both occasions, it took him a full week to recover to his old self. Occasionally, about twice a month, he has these spells that last about 30 seconds, where he's unable to focus and loses his train of thought. I don't know if that is a different type of seizure, but the last one he had, he was in the middle of lecturing and was able to power through it. He said he never stopped talking and managed not to alert the kids to it. Apparently, he's fully conscious of it happening. He's told me he has had two of these types of episodes, days apart, prior to each of his tonic clonic seizures. So far, since the last seizure, he's had one such episode, so I'm on the look out.

If he has another tonic clonic, I think I will be more prepared, both during and after.

I have dealt with this disorder a long time but have never witnessed one first hand until just last week during my hospital adventure. the guy sitting at the table in front of me had a seizure not a t/c but let out this loud sound I saw his body go stiff and I knew exactly what was happening. It only lasted a few seconds but a couple hours later when I saw him again he still looked dazed and confused.

I have wittnesed two tonics,one in my house which i dialled 999 for as the person had never had any type off seizure before.

The second on was just a guy on the street,his mates were a bit freaked out.I ran over,put my jacket under his head and held him best i could.It wasn't a long seizure.
Having the knowledge myself kept me calm in both situations,but i can see why people who are not educated freak out.Over here we have tv adverts for strokes,heart attacks,dementia yet iv'e yet to see an advert for epilepsy-makes you think why? It's quite sad really.

I used too work in care so have seen many I was 18 when saw the first cried my eyes out if im honest

Back
Top Bottom