Hypoglycemic seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday as I was preparing to spend Christmas Eve with my family, I was in a hurry because my mother called and wanted me to pick up my father from dialysis. I had so much to do with getting presents together and baking some brownies, I really had to get things together fast. And in doing so, I had forgotten to eat after I had injected myself with insulin for lunch. So by the time I did get everything in my car and get on the road, my glucose level had dropped, but I'm the type that doesn't always feel it. Sometimes I'm shaky and start feeling faint, but yesterday I didn't. Anyway, I went into a seizure instead. Someone called 911 because I had plowed into a fence. When the paramedics arrived and I could speak, they checked my glucose level and it was down to 40, it should be up in the 80's. So they kept be for observation for several hours to make sure my glucose level stayed up within the normal range.

At least the police was nice enough again and called my son for me. He was there within 15 minutes and my daughter came soon after. When I was finally released, my kids and I had our own little Christmas Eve at my apartment and didn't get to spend the time with the rest of my family. At least my kids are very understanding. They grew up witnessing many seizures. And at least I didn't get any sort of traffic ticket. The Dr. at the ER put on the report that the seizure was from a drop in my blood sugar, not from E.

But shit, another seizure and another crash. And I am scared to DEATH to drive again. If my car is fixable, I may sell it. I don't won't to kill anyone.
SHIT, I HATE MY LIFE!

Hope the rest of you HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

It's too bad all of that happened, especially on Christmas Eve. I'm glad no one was hurt and there were no legal issues. I can't imagine having both diabetes and E. I've had diabetic family members and worked in a dialysis center for years, and from that I would say that I would rather have E than diabetes. I hope things get better for you! Carry on, and may 2014 begin better than 2013 is ending!

I really do feel for you

Sorry you had to go through all that while you were driving.

I don't know if it's any consolation but I've never been able to drive & probably never will. In some ways you're lucky to have been able to drive at all.

I do think you're extremely responsible though to be more worried about hitting someone else than you are about hurting yourself while driving. I think that says a lot about you.

:hugs:

Cint,
So sorry about your seizure but I am glad you weren't hurt.
I hope you had a better day Today.

Sending you some Aussie hugs :hugs:

I'm glad no one was hurt and there were no legal issues.
:agree: I've had enough injuries due to seizures!

I can't imagine having both diabetes and E.

I wish it was only my imagination. It's very difficult to keep them both under control. Sometimes, one goes ballistic!!

I wish it was only my imagination. It's very difficult to keep them both under control. Sometimes, one goes ballistic!!

From what I know of diabetes it's almost impossible to keep it under control unless your body wants it to be under control. I've met lots of brittle diabetics who do everything they can to control their sugars and it just doesn't happen a lot of the time. Just like those of us with refractory epilepsy. We can only do so much, and then just hope for the best and learn to cope.

:cry:
oh cint i am so, so sorry to hear. on christmas eve of all f'ing days. can't imagine.
i remember waking up in my car too (not a fence, was in a ditch), and the feeling that comes with that reality. and you just got your license back! dammit!
thinking of you...

Oh Cint, no fun on Christmas Eve. :( But you can have a do-over any time -- Christmas is a moveable feast. Hope you're feeling better now.

:hugs:

Oh Cint, bless you, so sorry you had this at Christmas! But, as Nakamova said, Christmas is a moveable feast! Last year we had to postpone Jon's (New Year) birthday for a few months, because he was too sick. (But we just celebrated it last night in style with a sugar-free cheesecake and strawberries!)

So glad you have your children to be with you. And sending you cyber hugs and wishes for a seizure-free New Year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom