I am going to go the natural way.. any advice ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vapour

New
Reaction score
Hi.

Some may have been following my threds closely.. I am not sure.

Anyway, I am doubting at this point UCLA psych are going to take my case on, which means I wont be able to afford medication (I have Bipolar as well as epilepsy...and pretty much take the same meds for both)

Hope this makes sense, I wont be able to get into Neurology there for about another 5/6 months as they are just now dealing with januarys referals and I did mine round about April (before I got my current Neuro) and who knows what will happen with the Neurology also lol

So...

I am wondering what diets have worked best for anyone here that does the diet, I am wondering if there is anything else besides diet and relaxation techniques...

Im also a little scared... well...quite scared...do you think diet can work alone ? if it doesnt work ...and Im having more seizures than now...what happens if you leave it untreated ? does it progress ? can it kill you ?

I am praying that a diet will work, I do expect an answer from UCLA in the next week .. maybe just over a week.. Im guessing they will have another meeting this thursday *sigh...and it really doesnt look like they are willing.

ER is really not an option for me I cannot go back there, so something other than meds if I cannot get them has to work.

ANYTHING .. ANY suggestions for alternative ways to treat epilepsy is welcome on this thread, I dont care how crazy it is.

thanks

I would recommend you be very careful!

I honestly think you should try implementing diet & more natural methods while still on your meds. Once you feel your seizures are under control then slowly taper off the meds.

I would also recommend seeing a naturopath. I'm seeing one right now & she seems to be very well informed on ways to deal with seizures other than chemical AED's.

There are 2 books you might want to read first if you haven't yet, http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f40/treating-epilepsy-naturally-5484/ by Patricia A. Murphy
and http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f40/epilepsy-new-approach-7189/ by Adrienne Richard & Joel Reither, M.D.

Good luck & please keep us informed.

Last edited:
I'm finding out that diet is *not* the be-all or end-all for seizures. I stay with my diet(the GARD), but my seizures they are a-changing. Frustrating.

Ill just have to pray that UCLA do take me in psych, and that I can get there with Neuro ASAP...I do want it all under one roof. In the meantime I will have to research diet and alternative things if its the only thing I will have to turn for a while. Went to the diet section (didnt see it before) and got a bunch of stuff written down.

I don't call it a diet, but nutrition. Finding what your body needs takes a LOT of patience. I think it also take a lot of time for your innards to be healed enough so that you see results. Someone told me this weekend that they knew someone that had been admitted to a mental ward, and it took a special doctor taking on the case to realize that it was a blood sugar situation causing the mental imbalance. I posted a video somewhere on CWE about a young girl that also told a similar story.

Patience, knowledge, patience, trials, patience, journals, patience, dicipline, and a belief all help.

I have

to agree that you need to be very, very careful, Vapour. Nutrition--really good nutrition is your best bet. If you want to pick a specific DIET, which I think you've picked the GARD by now, make sure you've researched them all well.

The two books that EpilEric mentioned are great books. I highly recommend them as well.

And KEEP AN E JOURNAL. Keep track of everything. I have a list of things to keep track of, if you aren't already.

I wish you the best of luck.

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

diet

I had a fantasy about being 30 years younger and having access to the internet with E.
I started with this journey over 40 years ago, what I refer to as the dark ages. Not quite burning at the stake era but down right ignorance. I digress! We are lucky here in the sense that modern technology has given us an out for online communities such as this one, and advice from non medical professionals who live with this disorder. It sounds like you are taking the bull by the horns, and what a journey this is for us trying to figure out what makes us tick, or not. I have cut out so much processed foods, which is a good start for the general population, especially us!! Good luck with your journey in finding out solutions to this on going mystery we call our brain. :pop:

I agree gigi - had it not been for the internet, I am not sure where we would be. Would I have gone to the library and read med journals? I doubt it... I would have trusted the docs knew it all.

It is the only way my daughter has done so well. Nutrition, neurofeedback, therapy and an event calendar. It made the sun shine again for her.

Vapour - good luck keep a positive outlook.

Back
Top Bottom