I have been placed on light duty at work

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been placed on light duty at work. The reason they gave me for being placed on light duty is the fact that I have lost my driver's license and my job requires me to be able to drive.

There is a big problem though: there is another employee who has a different job title than mine who is also required to be able to drive. This other employee has lost their driver's license as a result of getting a DUI. This other employee has been allowed to continue to do their regular job duties, minus the driving. My employer was even given a note by my Dr. saying I can perform all of my job duties except the driving and that will only be temporary.

The real reason I have been placed on light duty is the fact that I had a seizure at work and my employer is scared %$#@less of getting sued if I have another seizure and hurt myself.

Has anyone else ever gone through this at work before and is there anything I can do about it?

You have a physical disability that your employer HAS to accommodate. Your coworker has a temporary suspension of his/her license due to one bad incident unless he/she is alcoholic or addicted to some drug(s).
I think I have gone through the opposite of your incident. For 20 years I did not drive. Social work events outside my building office did not include me unless a really liberal coworker gave me a ride. My workload at that time was pretty heavy.
I started to drive a few years ago. Reactions really varied from congratulatory ones to ones that were really downright negative. Some of the people who were negative about my driving now reflect a more positive attitude and actually allow me to drive them to social events.
What a wild ride!
Again, like you, because of fear of liability, my workload was cut back after I Started to drive. I'm not sure why they had that stupid mentality because I could have filed a lawsuit for their discriminatory practices long before I started to drive. People sue like crazy and take employers to a Federal or State Board of Labor Relations. That gives them bad publicity. It might hit news and any of your future employers might not want to touch you.
It might be wise to lay low, take it easy and let the seizures get back under control again. Once you regain the license, you might want to keep it secret until you feel comfortable telling them about it. Your coworker will probably screw up again and lose his license again by that time. And then YOU will be replacing him behind the wheel again. Image is everything to an employer. I hate to say it, but it's true.
I took on line college courses in my free time.
Get your rest, try to practice good stress management, and try to stay healthy. Good luck!

Last edited:
If you think your normal workload is not a contributing factor to your seizure activity (stress related), you might try sending your boss a memo (in writing) to the effect that you appreciate their efforts to accomodate your needs, but you feel that you can handle the regular workload (minus the driving for the time being). Keep it short (don't explain things) and positive.

Back
Top Bottom