I have random tonic Clonic status. does that mean never alone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janus

Veteran
Reaction score
With epilepticus status some times. Does that mean I can never be alone? Do I need to be around people all the time.

That's a tough decision, and a personal one. In one sense, yes you should always have someone nearby since status epilepticus can be fatal. On the other hand, that's not always an option -- or a preference. I recommend that you:

A: Ask your neuro's opinion (and continue to discuss treatment options that could address your refractory seizures).
and,
B: Get to know your neighbors, your local EMTs, and your local ER. Is there a family member or friend that can check in on you regularly?

Hi Janus,

I had absence status seizures for awhile where I would be out of it for 3 min. to 2 hrs. I found out it was the Neurontin that I was taking that caused the status seizures. I continued to go to work each day but there were days when I stayed home. I let my co workers know what was going on and my employer had my husbands phone number in case I had to leave work. It all depends on how you feel regarding going to work, I tried not to let it stop me but I did have hard days. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I have simple & partial seizures. The complex partial seizures occur w/o any aura, making them very dangerous. I'm on 400mg Topamax & 300mg Zonisamide/day, but I still get 1-3 breakthroughs each month.

I don't know a lot about the various seizure alert devices (watches, etc.) but do any of them have the ability to remotely send an alert to someone that you are having a tonic-clonic seizure?

I have complex partials and tonic clonic's. I am alone quite a bit, things seem to never happen while im alone though.

Thanks all. I will talk to the doc about this one. I forgot to say. I take 1500 depakote, 200 lamotrigine.

I usually only have partial seizures, simple and complex, but I do have a grand mal thrown in there at times. I almost never have an aura letting me know the seizure is coming on and I have no problems with being alone.

As said it's a personal decision though and ask your neuro about it. Do you think feel comfortable being alone or not and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom