Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 06:43 AM
New Here

i stopped taking my meds

Hi again guys thanks for makeing me feel welcome. ummm i just needed some advice 2 months ago i stopped takeing my meds be cecause i wanted to see how much they affected me i know i should of told my doctor but i was didn't think it would be anything too serious after the 1st month of not taking meds i started to feel alot more in control of my life i felt more energetic and felt more happy and my emotions also seemed not to go out of control like i didn't get extremly angry or really upset. then i started to have more hallucinations and at first i thought that was okie as long as i didn't have the grand mal fits but for the second time this week i've had another seizure but this time this one felt different after wards i felt more sore as was disorenitated for longer so i'm afraid that the seizures are getting worse have anyone else experienced this b4 if anyone can give me any input that would be great.

reguards stephen
Old 10-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator / Grandpa

Though some people have done just fine without meds, they have done it in coordination with their doctors. In my opinion, I would never recommend quitiing meds without medical supervision.

Get back to your doctor SOON.

At the same time, continue to research this site and others for alternatives. There are quite a few available with different success for different people.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Stephen:
Hi. I'm encouraging you to make an appt w/ your neurologist or primary care M.D. before you end up in the ER. At the start of my epilepsy, I also stopped taking my meds because I hated the side effects & I didn't feel in control of my life when I did manage to take them. I was taken off Phenobarbital because it was the cause of my angry outbursts. My best advice is to work with your doctors to find a medicine or treatment that works for you. You're welcome to look in the CWE Library for more info. Take care, Stephen ~Best Wishes, Ann
Old 10-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Your Host
Recent Blog: Oh poop

Thanked 2,285 Times in 815 Posts
Hi Stephen, I think it's obvious that you are experiencing seizure activity since you dropped your meds. You need to do something to get the seizures under control.

Suggest you have a look:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/...ed-years-1458/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/...ramp-down-675/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/...epilepsy-1254/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/...s-advice-1255/
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator / Super Mom

Send a message via Yahoo to RobinN
My daughter is med free Stephen. The quality of life for was not acceptable on meds.
We had in place though many nutritional changes. Quite radical for her, but a much healthier choice.

I have researched vitamins and minerals for brain support. Much of the information is here, and this too has helped. My journal has pointed me in directions that seem to be helping her. Right now I am looking at blood sugar levels, liver and adrenal health.

Working with your doctor is a good idea. Though they must be open minded about alternatives. If they are only have an anti-epileptic drug approach, you won't get much help. IMO

Keep searching for the cause.

Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Robin's Challenge

Knowledge is power and knowledge shared is power multiplied.
-- Bob Noyce
Old 10-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Hi Stephen, and welcome to CWE. Feel free to ask questions, vent, or chime in. Now..as to the purpose of your post.....I totally agree with Ann. You need to go in and see your doctor. Tell him exactly what you did, and what happened. Also, check out the alternative treatments link here....see if he or she is willing to let you try any of the alternatives. You might be surprised....
Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

Hi Stephen,

I also went off my meds for well its been since april or march I was just put back on them yesterday because i started having simple partial seizures back to back ..... SO if your having seizures take your meds..

hugs
angel
Old 10-15-2008, 08:47 AM
New Here

thanks i went to the doctors and am seeing the neroloigist soon and am goin to ask him about different meds it's a difficult choice either i feel like crap all the time and have less seizures or feel good and have more my gp told me that if i dun take the meds my fits could get worse and more and more often so atm it dosen't sound like much of a choice thankyou to everyone for replying

reguards Stephen
Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator / Super Mom

Send a message via Yahoo to RobinN
The only way you will know for sure is by keeping a journal.
I have found that my daughter has less seizures off the meds that she was given. However, I have approached this with alternative therapies.

Neurofeedback - Rebecca's Story

Robin's Challenge

Knowledge is power and knowledge shared is power multiplied.
-- Bob Noyce
Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

Atkins diet

I think the atkins diet helps we have a group on this forum for help with the diet
Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

I agree with seeing your doctor. I've always been on meds as well. I've NEVER been a morning person, but that's something I can live with if I don't have horrible seizures.

If I wake up early in the morning and feel great, I know that's definitely a bad sign 'cause the meds could be at a low level. If I'm my usual dead head self, that's a good sign. I eventually function afterward without seizures.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator / Fantastico
Recent Blog: Kindness is

I agree

with the others.......you REALLY need to talk to your doctor. Whether you go back on the same meds, different meds, or try alternative therapies, it's obvious that NO meds at all, with no help of any kind isn't working for you, unfortunately. And heaven knows I wish it were..........

Check out the links that the others provided. There is a TON of information on this site. You'd be AMAZED at how much difference a diet can make in terms of control for one's seizures. I wish I were joking about that, but it's true.......

Take care,

Meetz
Old 10-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

I tried it years ago, as a teen. I did feel so much better. A week later I was having seizures. I know it is hard trying to feel just right. But I agree with Ann. When You go to your doc. Be open about everything. Or go to one you feel you can. There are other options with meds to.