"If any problems, go to emergency" - is this typical??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

masterjen

New
Reaction score
I had 7 nights straight of nocturnal events which I assume were partial seizures but were of an atypical type for me. Contacted the nurse after the 6th night to report this but no return call (turned out she was sick but her voicemail didn't say this). Called again after the 7th night and still no return call by noon, so went to emergency. I was absolutely fine when I went, and felt a bit funny going because of that. All I wanted to do was speak with my Dr., either by phone or brief appt. Out of desperation and frustration with not being able to get a hold of anyone I went to emergency and the seizure clinic was contacted to say I was there. The nurse consulted with my neuro., and then came over to ER to tell me what to do (increase med.). She said next time something like this happens and I can't get through to her, just go to ER. Huh?! All I wanted was for the nurse or doctor to call me back! Is this typical for everyone else here, too - where you are to go to ER in non-emergency situations just because you can't get a return phone-call?

If I were having a serious problem like you were and not getting a reply from the neuro then I would have went to the ER. I probably wouldn't be having a seizure at the time I went to the ER but if I wasn't getting any answers for about what was going on and if anything needed to be done about it then I defiantly would have went.

Did you have a number for the office he worked in or just a direct number to the neuro?

I have both but I always call the office number because someone usually answers the phone and I can give the message to them or leave one on the voice mail. I may have to call more than once and leave a message each time, for a day or two, I get a phone call back from someone in the office. It might be another dr, dr assistant (I think that's what he's called) or sometimes my actual dr. If I did keep getting the voice mail, after I've called several times for several days, I would have went to the ER.

Something similar just happened to me.

I was going to be three months seizure free on December 9, but I ended up having 7 altered and unconscious complex seizures between Nov 27 and December 8th and was experiencing simple partials from head to toe all day and night.

I was scared having so many in such a short period, so I decided to go to the E.R to make sure I was o.k, i.e CT scan and blood test, and the reason I did that was because both my neurologist and doctor told me in the past, that they couldn't help over a phone conversation, and the only way to see if there might me something wrong is again, with a CT scan and blood test.

I was crossing my fingers that I might get an EEG, but I guess E.R's don't give those way like that. My CT and blood test came back fine, but I was there for over 5 hours....I won't be doing that again. I just have to deal with my seizures, until my appointments with my doctor and neurologist.

To me one of the most irritating things about dealing with seizures is knowing when things change suddenly with the way you have seizures......you just have to deal with it until your next doctor's appointment, because the E.R can't really do anything about it.

I've been told the same thing by people. But to me, given the fact that I know my condition and how "things tick" with it. I'd never go there on my own power unless I had more than 1 on a public street or in a public building.
To me, The E.R. is for actual immediate current life threatening situations. If I'm not currently in a seizure, and nothing else is wrong I'd feel better saving that bed for a heart attack or stroke or cut artery that just got carted in. If I'm hauled in because of some well-meaning but misinformed citizen who instantly calls 911 then there's not much I can do except inform the Dr. that this is far from new for me and to just please call someone I know & let me sit in the lobby until they come.

I was crossing my fingers that I might get an EEG, but I guess E.R's don't give those way like that. My CT and blood test came back fine, but I was there for over 5 hours....I won't be doing that again. I just have to deal with my seizures, until my appointments with my doctor and neurologist.

To me one of the most irritating things about dealing with seizures is knowing when things change suddenly with the way you have seizures......you just have to deal with it until your next doctor's appointment, because the E.R can't really do anything about it.

The times I've been to the ER is when my seizures turned status (twice). I was there for several days and don't remember much, but they did schedule an EEG, but not while I was in the ER. They did do a CBC and CT. The ER isn't the place to deal with seizure disorders. They have plenty of other things to deal with too, and most of the time those in charge in the ER don't know enough about epilepsy like a real neurologist does.

The nurse consulted with my neuro., and then came over to ER to tell me what to do (increase med.). She said next time something like this happens and I can't get through to her, just go to ER. Huh?! All I wanted was for the nurse or doctor to call me back! Is this typical for everyone else here, too - where you are to go to ER in non-emergency situations just because you can't get a return phone-call?

Why didn't you just go into the clinic and ask to see your neuro even if you didn't have a scheduled appt? That is where you are to go.That is what I have done in the past when I have many break-thru seizures and she (my epileptologist) usually fits me in the same day.

Why didn't you just go into the clinic and ask to see your neuro even if you didn't have a scheduled appt? That is where you are to go.That is what I have done in the past when I have many break-thru seizures and she (my epileptologist) usually fits me in the same day.

Here in Canada, it doesn't seem to work that way. So, just dropping in on my neuro. isn't where I'm to go. As I found out. While my sister in law drove me to the hospital (where my neuro's clinic is) my Mom phoned the clinic to say I was on my way (she managed to get through to someone where I was unable to) and was told to tell me to go to emergency.

I'd be curious to hear from other Canadians, if they have ever had luck just "dropping in" on their neuro.

I would've called my neuro he always calls me when I call him the same day during weekday.He wants to know what's going on with me and he has changed my meds and has had me see him as soon as possible.When I'm having a lot of seizures he's the same same day he's had me come in to see him.

I'd call him let him know what you expect of him I wouldn't go to the E/R unless I had hurt myself or gone status.

Here in Canada, it doesn't seem to work that way. So, just dropping in on my neuro. isn't where I'm to go. As I found out. While my sister in law drove me to the hospital (where my neuro's clinic is) my Mom phoned the clinic to say I was on my way (she managed to get through to someone where I was unable to) and was told to tell me to go to emergency.

I'd be curious to hear from other Canadians, if they have ever had luck just "dropping in" on their neuro.

Jen we (myself and our pediatrician) have both had a lot of trouble getting ahold of our neuros so i totally feel your pain. I think the issue is our Neuros are so overbooked and run off their feet that they encourage patients to go to the ER so that you can be seen by someone (either your neuro, or the on call neuro) to make sure there isn't something more going on and to address what needs to be done.

That said, if something happens with my daughter that i need addressed in a similar manner to what happened to you (and it does), then my instructions are to get ahold of my pediatrician (which in our world is the closest thing to a neuro in town). If i can't get her, i am to call the pediatrician on call, and failing that, head straight to the ER (the ped on call is kind of the same thing as the ER for us, but it just allows me to skip the ER hassle and have her seen upstairs right away). So yes i guess here in Canada (and BC), i would say heading to the ER for medical attention if you can't get your neuro is not uncommon.

When I lived in BC I found it depended on the neurologist, they were either fantastic or awful, none seemed to be in the middle. The last one I had before leaving the province was fantastic.

The one that I just stopped seeing here in Ottawa had a great receptionist that even if it took a while, she'd always get back to me. I have to admit I was a bit impatient once or twice though. From what she said if it took a while it was because of patient overload.

Back
Top Bottom