If You Have To Have E Somewhere.....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hey AlohaBird..
Seems you got your piece of paradise...

Oz doesn't have a biggy population, but we do have some great beaches around, fortunately my kids love the ocean and my daughter thrives in the water.
Oz is a vast country of desert, forrest and beaches, a great playground.

When you find something that works, you hold onto it for what you hope it never leaves you.
And hey
You never take it for granted...because one is at their level of their contentment.
:)

Oh, yes, the Land Down Under is lovely. I have spent some time mostly in Sydney but I have been meaning to get back there for a more complete tour.

All of the Assies I have met in my travels around the world have all been such fun people. Genuinely warm people who know how to cut loose and have a good time. And such handsome men! My goodness.

Yes Aloha Bird honey, I am married to one particular handsome man ....and he is MINE!!!
Even better when its being around with some crazy good natured sense of humour...

One needs a bit of smiles when there is life challenges... its takes less muscles to smile than it is to frown.... so when the skin ages I will aim to have some more skin elasticity as opposed to those with sour faced facial expressions that whine about trivial stuff in life...

:)
that my wisdom for today....

Does he have a brother who is single?

Well, our little tropical depression passed on by. Nothing damaged, just some heavy rain. Today it finally got sunny and I spent the day at the beach.
It feels so good to soak in the water just floating on your back letting all the electrolytes soak in and balance things out perfectly.

And I had a Lomi Lomi session this morning. It has been a really good day

Thank you!

Lomi Lomi is an ancient Polynesian healing tradition.

It's like a hybrid of massage and chiropractic care plus some nutritional guidance.

My healer guy is great. I think I'm developing a crush on him.

:roflmao:

Uh Oh!

But, seriously, it's been so long since I had a massage, it sounds wonderful! My masseuse used to live in Hawaii, so I wouldn't be surprised if she knows about Lomi Lomi.

So happy the storm passed you by this time. :)

We have a hurricane Dolores that is supposed to pass by us. We really need the rain. I hope we get some. It looks like it's going the wrong way. I think we might get some sprinkles. The lawn need watering.

:bjump: :wave: :bjump:

That's my rain dance! Here's hoping it makes it all the way this far north and gets us all wet! :rock:

We have another tropical storm watch going on here and they got serious enough this time to issue a "small craft advisory" meaning tie up your boats and don't expect us to come get you if you get stuck out there.

The water in the channels between the islands can get really rough and this is the biggest hazard with all of these "near miss" storms we are getting this season. The shipping can get disrupted and the twice weekly barge might not come for another week. Store shelves get rather bare when that happens. So people start stocking up. Which can then be a self fulfilling prophesy creating bare shelves in anticipation.

Today I went into town and stocked up the basics like coconut water and filled up the gas tank (gas comes in by barge too). Got some cash out of the ATM. People will always take cash even when the power goes out and cards and card readers become useless.

It's been raining on and off all day but it's sunny right now so I have all my solar powered lamps out charging on the porch.

And I'm doing some cooking ahead like making hard boiled eggs.

If it gets really windy and rainy I would rather just hunker down for a few days and stay off the roads. I have enough books and crossword puzzles to keep me busy if the electricity goes out.

According to what I just saw on the National Weather Service site, it looks like we will have a much better idea by tomorrow morning of which way Guillermo is headed.

How's the storm AlohaBird? Up in eastern WA, we are having wildfire after wildfire. There was one near where I live, and there was so much smoke you couldn't see the mountains! It's kinda hard to hide mountains. :) So far we haven't had any so close that we need to prepare to evacuate, but we are in the midst of a severe drought with several months left in fire season.

The town I'm in is pretty much perfect for someone with e that can't drive. You can walk or ride the bus anywhere, the ambulance response time is something like 5 min, and the nearest hospital is 20 min away. The only problem is if you are rushing to the hospital, the roads are one lane each way with lots of traffic. Oh well! The weather is almost always perfect, and there's lots of ways to stay involved in the community too.

The town I'm in is pretty much perfect for someone with e that can't drive. You can walk or ride the bus anywhere, the ambulance response time is something like 5 min, and the nearest hospital is 20 min away. The only problem is if you are rushing to the hospital, the roads are one lane each way with lots of traffic. Oh well! The weather is almost always perfect, and there's lots of ways to stay involved in the community too.

Nice

I like it. We moved here because of my e. I'll be able to walk to school, and when I graduate, I can walk to the university.

I recently moved from Austin, TX to St. Petersburg, FL. I live downtown. As others have stated similar concerns, St. Pete is a great place to live if you have E because the bus service is excellent and there are tons of restaurants and stores within walking distance of just about everywhere, especially downtown. I live downtown and can take the bus to work and have plenty of restaurants and bars to walk to, several churches, a major bus station (Greyhound bus), and plenty of nightlife if that is your thing. Being Florida, the weather here is generally pretty decent. We just had a tropical depression looming over the area for about 2 weeks or so that caused flooding especially in the Tampa area. Oh, I forgot to mention, there are several major hospitals in the area within a 5 minute drive of my apartment, one of which has a major epilepsy unit. I recently stayed there for about 4 days and it was a generally positive experience, but hoping I don't go back anytime soon.

Emerald, I wish I could send you and all my old friends in California where I grew up some of my excess rain to put out your wild fires. I know how dangerous those can be.

It looks like Guillermo is going on by to the north but we are going to get some high surf, 30mph winds and heavy rains in the next couple of days. It was coming down in buckets last night. It's kind of nice going to sleep to the sound of rain.

Public transport does exist here but it doesn't have the budget to run very often given that there are only 7500 people on the whole island. They do have school buses though out to even the remotest areas.

Another thing I love about this island is that hitch hiking is considered perfectly normal. People aren't afraid to stop and let someone into their car and people aren't afraid to thumb a ride even a girl by herself. A lot of young people use it as a way to get to the beach.

AlohaBird,

I have family and friends that live in Florida, one with in walking distance from South Beach, and the others on the opposite side of Florida about an hour from Orlando on the coast. I always watch the hurricanes near Florida for that reason. They have special "hurricane" building codes for that area, and some have made it to where I live because of their efficacy. (I use to build homes among other things.)

We have had two hail producing storms this year, with wind gusts up to 60 mph. I don't mind the rain, but I hate hail, wind and lightning. I get seizures from the lightning.

We have had a mild summer here in MN temperature wise.

How much annual rainfall do you get in Molokai?

Rainfall totals would vary greatly depending on where you are on Molokai. The east end (windward) is a lush green jungle and the west end look like southern California. I live up in the highest mountains (2000 feet)of the whole place right in the center on the north coast. So my area catches all the clouds and wrings them out.
Very different ecosystems for a place that is only 10 miles wide by 35 miles long.

It was really coming down last night but it has been on again off again today. Hopefully the worst of it is past. The dangerous thing here is the wind (not cold enough for hail). While I have seen a lot of rain here in the past year I don't think I've seen any lightning at all. I wonder why that is.

In California I was used to earthquake building codes, now I see hurricane codes.

Back
Top Bottom