im not sure this is normal and im a little scared

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gr33nr0se

New
Reaction score
hey everyone,
i had a generalized tonic clonic on friday and im just wondering if exhaustion is supposed to last this long. it is monday and i feel like all i want to do is sleep. the same thing happened when i had my first tonic clonic. IS THIS NORMAL? :e:

My first T/C seizure was like that. It took 2 or 3 days before I could talk, then another couple before I felt normal.

I just slept because that's what my body (and mind) told me it wanted to do.

I don't think there's anything that unusual about how you feel after a T/C.

Yup. It can definitely take awhile to get your full strength back. Have you been eating and drinking at normal levels, or are you still catching up?

im still catching up, but im getting there. i almost have my apetite back. :) that was really helpful. my mom has been bugging me to ask as well. thanks guys

Sorry about your seizure and the exhaustion. I've only had one tonic/clonic, but I remember feeling like I had run the Iron Man Triathlon for the following week. Even my usual simple partial motor seizures leave me feeling wiped out and overwhelmed for up to 2-3 weeks; a simple trip to the grocery store can make me want to curl up in a ball and suck my thumb:eek:

Last edited:
Yup it's

normal. I have to sleep for 18 to 24 hours after one........and then eating. HA. I can't for several days because of the way that I've butchered my tongue. Every bone and joint in my body hurts--and if I've broken one--yippee skippy, it's off to the doc to get that fixed.

So YES, you're perfectly within the normal range. :) And feel free to keep asking those questions!

thanks everyone that really helps. i was worried about it but my mom kept bugging me about asking. im glad she did though because i feel alot less weird haha. i just wish i could stop falling asleep in class. ive missed alot of school this year and got sent home a couple times due to seizures and i just made up the work. falling asleep in class makes it really hard to listen. hopefully after the sleep deprived eeg tomorrow... i'll be on medication to control the seizures and things will start to get back to normal.

Have you

considered homebound instruction? Your parents CAN step in, and ask the school for this. They can also ask for an IEP or a 504 plan, in order to help you get your school work, and health back in control. Your doc will have to help you out with this a little bit, but talk to your mom about it. Talk to the doctor, and your school counselor as well. Trust me, it's worth a shot.

Having an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) does not mean you're stupid--it means that you are allowed adjustments of whatever type that will help you. Some kids who are emotionally disabled for example, may have a "hot pass" to leave a class to calm down. Others who are diabetic, may have permission to override a teacher's note to a sub about no one leaving a class if they are having a sugar crisis--and need insulin, a drink or whatever. Those are just a couple of quick examples.

Seizure-prone kids who have IEPs may be allowed to come into school an hour late (maybe their seizures occur only upon waking), have homebound instruction because the lights in the school trigger them, or some other adjustment.

There's all sorts of things that can be done with an IEP. 504 plans are similar, but they're not quite the same. An IEP will follow you into college--until you're 21.

Whatever you do, DON'T let the school corporation tell you that they don't do IEPs. They're REQUIRED to by federal law.

thats a good idea haha but i have had an iep for a while now. i go to an out of district school and i have ADD. but my parents are adjusting my iep for longer time on tests due to frequent absence seizures. that is a really good point though

gr33nr0se,

Both simple and complex partials make me sleep all day sometimes, and I don't feel like myself for a couple of days. I think tonic-clonics would affect you even more.

Are you on medication yet? If so, the medication can make you really sleepy. If you are so sleepy that it is affecting your school, be sure to tell your doctor.

What I'm hoping for you is really good seizure control. Then things will get back to normal for you!

Hang in there. It's going to get better soon.

gr33nr0se,

Both simple and complex partials make me sleep all day sometimes, and I don't feel like myself for a couple of days. I think tonic-clonics would affect you even more.

Are you on medication yet? If so, the medication can make you really sleepy. If you are so sleepy that it is affecting your school, be sure to tell your doctor.

What I'm hoping for you is really good seizure control. Then things will get back to normal for you!

Hang in there. It's going to get better soon.
thanks endless,
im actually having a 24 hour ambulatory eeg right now. i stayed up until four and got up at six... miserable haha. i haven't started medication yet but hopefully really soon. thanks for your suport, it makes me feel alot beter :)

When things like this happened with Rebecca, I would try to find causes of lack of energy and seizures. The body when healthy should be able to bounce back. Work on finding reasons that the cells lack energy. Usually the cells are not getting proper nutrition. Or another reason might be that the liver is overburdened and sluggish.

Sounds normal to me...when I had my first ever seizure back in June of this year (tonic clonic), my husband was WORRIED because I would not eat or do anything else except sleep for about 3 and a half days after it!

Okay, I am definitely older than you are, but 2-3 days is pretty much the norm to recover after a tonic clonic from what my neurologist has told me and from what I've learned on the boards in here. My meds also tend to make me tired, I have gone from needing about 8 hours of sleep to really wanting about 12 hours though this is pretty much impossible due to the work schedule I have.

I am glad to hear that your school and parents are working with you and that you will be given extra time to work on tests and assignments. I hope that you find the right medicine for you and that your medical team is able to get the seizures under control.

Back
Top Bottom