Increased # of seizures from increased AED dose?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My neurologist was telling me about one possible side effect of increasing the dose of AED's (or at least Tegretol) is an increase in the number of seizures. I am assuming he meant this is only a temporary side effect while the body adjusts to the increased dose. I did have an increase in the number of seizures I had immediately after I went from 1200 mg of Tegretol XR a day to 1400 mg/day. Does anyone here know how increasing the AED dose can increase the # of seizures? And has anyone else here experienced this? About a month after increasing my Tegretol XR does I started taking Keppra in addition to the Tegretol XR. For the first week I took 500mg BID of Keppra. Then for about a month I took 1000mg BID of Keppra. And then finally I was raised up to 1500mg BID of Keppra after having an unexpected seizure.

Last edited:
I've experienced increased sz. with increased doses of Mysoline & Keppra.

I've been on tegretol while taking both those drugs but its dosage was upped so many years ago I don't remember if my sz increased then.

This happened to Rebecca, when she was on Trileptal which is a form of Tegretol.
This along with a rash, sore throat, and itching... I wasn't willing to wait to see if it would get better.

YES: you can experience increase of
seizure activity if you are BEGINNING
a titration of an AED ... this phase is
often called "honeymoon" phase.

HOWEVER - if you have been on the
AED for a period of time, and you started
to have an episode like once a week, and
the Neuro / Epi decides to titrate it up
to xx mg a day, and then you're beginning
to experience more episodes. You should
call your Neuro / Epi and let him/her know
after a period of a few days, the seizures
have increased since he/she have titrated
you up, then they will titrate you back down
and possibility may try to titrate you down
one level and see how you fare from that
level. And go on from there.

Make sure you keep a log and progress
chart. It's true that your body "can"
develop a tolerance or resistant to any type
of medication (it does not have to be an
AED) so careful monitoring is necessary.

I always have more seizures whenever I up my dose of any seizure medication. They upped my dose of Topamax and I had 3 TC in a row, and was having several complex partial seizures.They had to lower it and now we are stopping it completely and starting me on a new drug...

Oh Boy Brandi. You are having a wild ride.
Do you know what they want to try next? How are you doing with school?

I'm on Lamictal now, but it's too low of a dose to stop any seizures. My doctor told me that I will be having a lot of seizures in the next few weeks until we get the dosage right. I'm being weaned off Topamax, but since it was lowered it's not stopping the seizures as well as it was before.
School...ugh..well..I did great on my exams (which was a huge surprise) and if I didn't do well on my exams I would've failed out of two classes. I took Ohio Graduation Tests (a test in which you must pass or you don't graduate[hence the name;)]) I got accelerated in all 5 categories! :woot: Yet, I can't pass a class to save my life...strange...

Last edited:
I was just wondering this myself, I told my hubby that I was pretty sure that I had read and heard from several, that this could happen. My neuro increased my Lamitical up 100mg Thursday and yesterday and today I am having partials, three already this morning.

after I started Lamactal i had a weird seizure where my head dropped everything was spinning I was awake but in a daze like i was going to pass out and it felt like i couldnt breath nor could i raise my head Or move it lasted about 3 min the bad thing was i was taking a bath... i really thought i was going to drown in the bathtub...
had other problems while i was on lamactal too..... I think it made my seizures worse if that was even a seizure?

Love angel

Back
Top Bottom