Job Limitations?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

morgan381

New
Reaction score
I have always known I wanted a job in the medical field. I am back in school and was just accepted into the RN program at my college...I start in August. My fear is that I won't be able to get a job as a nurse because of my E. I know there are laws about discrimination, but lets be realistic: they can always say someone else is more qualified. It's not like I can hide it either, since the meds will show up on a pre-employment drug screen. Am I fooling myself? Should I persue something else? :crying: I've just spent the last two years busting my butt in school to maintain a 3.9 GPA while still taking care of my family. I get scared and discouraged. I've made it this far because I'm just so darn stubborn, but now that I've reached this point I'm terrified. Any advice?

Good Luck on becoming a nurse. I hope you make it. You just need to have faith in yourself. Again Good Luck.

There really shouldn't be any issue as long as your seizures are controlled and you are able to do the job without placing patients at risk.

I go with the saying:

Whether you believe you can or you can't .... you are right.

Thanks, you guys. I'm over myself now...guess I was just having a pitty party. The seizures are well controlled and when they do occur, they are accompanied by an aura, and they're only partials. If I take the PRN meds, they usually stop. So, I don't think I'd be a danger to any patients. ;P

I checked with my friend the RN

She said that where we are on Canadas West Coast there was no problem as long as the seizures are under control. She also said that there was no discrimination that she saw but if you want to know for sure to consult the nurses union. They'll give you a more accurate response as to what challenges might await.

Good luck!!

Thanks...I wouldn't have thought to do that. I'll do some digging and see what I can find out. Thanks again.

In drug testing they are looking for specific ILLEGAL drugs. I believe in the US the law states that an employer cannot discuss any disabilities until AFTER they have offered you a job. My wife has been an RN for many years, she works with a few other nurses that have E.

Morgan the best thing you can do right now is THINK POSITIVE , for The Act Towards Disabled People is in effect. IF The Employers go AGAINST it You can take them to court for going against not only you but The Disability Act ITSELF & The Courts aren't so happy about that happening NOW THAT THE ACT IS IN EFFECT . it's sealed in writing NOBODY can do anything against you , (UNLESS) you yourself make a mistake at work & it's not one that can be fixed. Then they have the right to either put you on a write-up or you'll be supervised until they feel you're better off on your own again . But more than likely nothing will ever happen IF you're taking your medication the way the DR says to take it & not miss a dose.But please don't worry about it for I never seen it happen yet through any of my friends I had & known before I moved. Take it easy & just relax - DAVE

In drug testing they are looking for specific ILLEGAL drugs. I believe in the US the law states that an employer cannot discuss any disabilities until AFTER they have offered you a job. My wife has been an RN for many years, she works with a few other nurses that have E.

I do know that drug tests are looking for Illegal substances :roll: The thing is, that I had to take a 10 panel tox screen in order to be accepted into the RN program. The hospital sent the restults to me and I then have to take them to the college. On this particular test I was screened for : amphetamines, barbituates (phenolbarbitol), benzodiazepines, cannabinoid, cocaine, opiates (codine, morphine, etc), phencyclidine, methadone, propoxyphene and creatinine. All negative except creatinine. As it turns out my meds (Keppra & Lamictal) show up. Now, I have to provide (within 3 days) proof that I am using these drugs within the limits of the law--in the form of a letter from my doc, or a copy of the label from my 'scrip.

//even legal drugs can be used illegally\\

I'm not worried about being good enough...I'll be a great nurse. I'm concerned that the drug screen will require further explanation, then when the explanation is done, the possible employer will have reservations...and hire someone else based on that prejudice. All the employer would have to say is that the other person was more qualified or 'a better fit', etc. How would I prove any different? and I don't think it would be much fun to have a job that required me to take my current employer to court in order to get....talk about uncomfortable.

If the drug screen requires futher explanation then I would just be honest with them. Tell them that your seizures are under control and you take meds to keep them that way. I would think they would be understanding, especially because they are in the medical field.

I quit my job because my boss took away nearly all my job duties, saying that she thinks I have brain damage from hitting my head so much. That was a bunch of bs. Ive thought about getting a job in the medical field just because I think they would be more understanding then most other employers.

Good luck!

Think positively. They are so short of nurses these days they can't afford to treat applicants like that. But also remember that there are many ways to use your skills in the medical field.......................

Think positively. They are so short of nurses these days they can't afford to treat applicants like that. But also remember that there are many ways to use your skills in the medical field.......................

LOL...they'll take me because they don't have a choice...hahaha

I do know that drug tests are looking for Illegal substances :roll: The thing is, that I had to take a 10 panel tox screen in order to be accepted into the RN program. The hospital sent the restults to me and I then have to take them to the college. On this particular test I was screened for : amphetamines, barbituates (phenolbarbitol), benzodiazepines, cannabinoid, cocaine, opiates (codine, morphine, etc), phencyclidine, methadone, propoxyphene and creatinine. All negative except creatinine. As it turns out my meds (Keppra & Lamictal) show up. Now, I have to provide (within 3 days) proof that I am using these drugs within the limits of the law--in the form of a letter from my doc, or a copy of the label from my 'scrip.

//even legal drugs can be used illegally\\

I'm not worried about being good enough...I'll be a great nurse. I'm concerned that the drug screen will require further explanation, then when the explanation is done, the possible employer will have reservations...and hire someone else based on that prejudice. All the employer would have to say is that the other person was more qualified or 'a better fit', etc. How would I prove any different? and I don't think it would be much fun to have a job that required me to take my current employer to court in order to get....talk about uncomfortable.
IF THAT COMES ABOUT ON QUESTIONING OF THE DRUG SCREENING HAVE YOUR DR WRITE IT ALL OUT FOR THEM , THEN THEY HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO LET IT GO . ATLEAST IT HELPED ME BACK WHEN I HAD TESTING DONE . DAVE

drug tests

i've been through quite a few drug test for work since being on meds and the nice thing is that on most forms that you fill out at the time of testing they ask if you are taking any prescription drugs, just list what you are taking and have your scrips with you for them to view and there should be no problems. :hello::hello:

With a GPA of 3.9, it sounds like you definitely know your stuff. That's awesome! I would think that anybody in a medical field would understand your circumstances. Maybe they can give you regular hours rather than a swing shift to avoid sleep deprivation. They probably want to make sure you're not taking illegal stuff from their supply cabinet.

If you have time in between semesters, can you volunteer at a local hospital to get your foot in the door? People you will work with may put in a good word for you. It's usually a case of who you know rather than what you know. Look at how the colleges are putting less emphasis on SAT scores. They're looking at the whole character of potential students and reviewing their outside activities like volunteer work. Can you teach CPR or use of automatic external debrillators to the community along with the American Heart Association at a hospital facility?

If your seizures are well controlled, there's no reason why you cannot work there. If anything else, coworkers are probably more understanding of your condition. I work in an office. Some people react well from knowing about my epilepsy. Some people have no clue what they should do and others just kind of go with the flow. There are dirt bags everywhere who discriminate. It's just human nature. I converted one in the past year and we're pretty good friends now.

I'm employed at the same place for at least 15 years.

Last edited:
I know what job limitations are like. I've turned down for several jobs cause of my epilepsy.

Hi Morgan! Yes, you can have a career in the medical field. :) My sis-in-law was diagnosed with E while in med school. She didn't end up becoming a surgeon (understandably) like she wanted...but she is a doctor. :) So yes...it's doable.

Back
Top Bottom