Just called my nuero

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penny

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
As I think the up in my meds a couple weeks ago is whats making me sick and making me sleep so much( I sleep about 18 out of 24 hours). I lay around the rest of the time. They upped my lamital another 300mgs a day. I don't really think that's to bad probably as I have been on 400mgs for years as a mood stabilizer without ever having a problem. However I they upped my Topamax 200mgs all at once when I had only been on 200 mgs already for maybe a month or 2 already. So, I'm thinking that might be it. The sleeping, not eating, depression and so on. I just hope he does something. My appt. is not until 2-25.

Hi Penney,

I got my neuro to take me off Clonazepam which always had me so tired.I'm still on Tegretol 300,300,300 Phenobarb 90MG bed Onfi 5MG 2x day Topamax 200MG 2x day. I'd tell your neuro about the depression and see if you could get in sooner.Let him know about all the side effects your having.My neuro always wants to know when I'm going through depression.

The Topomax (Dopemax) can make a person really tired and make a person lose weight quickly, too. I now take only 200 mgs, but at one time I was taking a higher dosage. It made me sooooo spacey and all I wanted to do was sleep. Plus I lost about 20 lbs. in about a 2 1/2 month time frame. The depression needs to be addressed.

I got a call back from his nurse about a hour and a half ago she asked me some questions. I forgot to tell her about the depression but she asked a lot about the Topamax. I didnt have a lot of problems taking 200 mgs it was the uppage of the Topamax to 400mg. She was going back into a couple more appts with dr but said she will talk to him and get back to me. I have had her call as late as 7 before.I just ate 1/2 a bowl of mini wheats so hopefully that will help for supper. :)

Got the call a while ago. He is cutting back the Topamax 100mgs 2xs a day. Hope this helps. I have a feeling it will. :)

How fast did he ramp your up on the topamax?

My dr went slow and I still had problems with that medicine. I was soooo sleepy and had a permanent brain fog, the worst part was the visual disturbances.

I hope you feel better soon. ***hugs***.

Topamax can make you feel really, really depressed. That can bring on insomnia, not eating, and all the rest. I'm glad you called your Dr., and I hope the new dosage does the trick.

When he had ramped it up, he had ramped it by 100mg 2x day, so 200mg as much as he decreased it by. He left the lamictal as high as he had ramped it by though as I didn't think that was a problem. I had been on lamictal at 200mg 2xs a day for years as a mood stabilizer by my psych. Neuro had done blood test and I was not at theroputic level so he upped it to 350mgs 2xs a day. I was having break thru seizures so something had to be done. So hopefully just this will work. I'm having problems sleeping tonight. :) After sleeping so much its welcome tough. I'm used to taking my meds at 7 so I'm sure that's why.

Hoping the depression lifts soon. I will let you know. My next door neighbor and I are going to walk to Mc Donalds together in the morning just to have coffee (or hot chocolate) and we talked about a few mornings a week just to get out. Its only a 10 minute walk from our place but it might help us feel better.

Thankyou all for your help. It sure does help to know from others that what you are experiencing is so normal.

CathyAnn, with your visual problems did you see things out of the sides of your eyes . Mine is my left eye. I see a flash of something. It kind of scres me when it happens but its nothing. Just wondering.

Night all! :)

I was on one med, I'm sorry I don't remember which one because I've been on so many different ones, that all I did was sleep while I was on it. Like you I could have probably slept 3 days strait. I didn't want to eat either, just sleep. It took everything just to get out of bed to take a shower, my family basically had to force me to.

When we called the neuro and told him about it he took me off that med and I was up and moving again after that. I know that I was on Topamax at one time so I don't know if that was the one causing the problems or not.

He cut the Topamax in half again to 100mg 2xday. I had done good on it before so he wanted to see if I still would. His nurse called me the next day. She wanted to ask me about what anti seizure meds I had been on in the past incase I had any break thrus from this.

I did have a seizure Sunday night. After the stressfull weekend I had along with no sleep its no wonder. I hadn't called them but the Dr.s nurse called me Monday morn to find out how I was doing and to let me know DR. wanted to increase my trileptal to make sure I was "better covered". I am getting more energy and fill so much more "with it". The depression has lifted almost totally. Its so nice not to be sleeping life away. It's GREAT!

My body seems to be tolerating this lower dose of Topamax just not the higher dose. I was told to call though if I had more problems with it.

I hope you find the right mix of meds to control your seizures AND minimize side effects/ It can be tricky being on more than one, but it seems pretty likely that the Topamax increase was behind your recent fatigue and depression. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom