Just vomited 10 min after taking my AED should there be concern?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

400ex

New
Reaction score
I take topamax, I was brushing my teeth and for some reason my gag reflex kicked in and i threw up right in the sink. the color of my puke was the color of my topamax, but I didnt see the pill. Should I be concerned? I called my doctor to see what I should do.

I would think about 10 mins would give enough time to dissolve. Can anyone shed any light before the doctor calls back? It'll probably be a while...

I've had a lot of nausea on my meds, too (trileptal). I was told if I threw up an hour after I take my dose, no worries. Before that, depending on the time, some will not have been absorbed. Your doc will need to tell you what to do.

I did the same thing recently about the same time after taking my tegretol but had not problems. I was cautious all day though.

Some quick questions:

How sensitive are you to changes in dose?

Do you take your AED more than once a day?

What size is your dose (i.e. is it in multiple little pills or one big one)?

How easy is it to take a partial dose (i.e. do you need to cut a pill in half to do so)?

Some quick questions:

How sensitive are you to changes in dose?

Do you take your AED more than once a day?

What size is your dose (i.e. is it in multiple little pills or one big one)?

How easy is it to take a partial dose (i.e. do you need to cut a pill in half to do so)?
I am very sensative to changes in my dose, I take topamax 2 x a day and my dose is 200 a day.

Topamax is a pain to break in half...

I have a feeling I wont get a call back from my doctor anytime soon :(

My guess is you will be okay on the amount you managed to absorb, but since you are sensitive to dose changes, be extra-careful (if that's possible). Do your best to relax and maybe take your evening dose a little on the early side. Hope the doc calls back soon!

I called back up and asked the woman on the phone to ask the doctor for me or put me on the phone with him asap. I told her what happened she understood, she asked him and she told me he said to take another pill.

I took another pill and 20min later. It has been about 30 min since taking the pill, I feel no side effects.

I was on an empty stomach when I took my pills early this morning...Maybe that slowed down the effect? Maybe that I took Metmorfin along with it? Maybe that I took a teacup sized sip for 2 pills at the same time?

Who knows, but I feel absolutely fine.

Thanks for the speedy replies

Last edited:
I have also thrown up about 45 min after taking my last dose, it's been 1.5 hrs since throwing up now.
I took my last dose(900mg 2/day, 1.5 600mg pill) on an empty stomach about 6 hrs after my last seizure earlier today(it was a mild one) and am at home.
I tried calling the hospital but they referred me to the medicine store(forget the english word) after an hours wait. Then after waiting almost another hour on the phone they say that they are not sure. So I'm gonna take about half and then try and sleep and hope for some advice encase this happens again.

Back
Top Bottom