Keppa vs generic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been on the brand name Keppra for almost a year now. It is hard to say if it is doing much, because my seizures are generally months apart anyway... I was taking 1000mg twice daily, but after my last seizure, the doctor upped it to 1500mg twice daily. After my last appointment, he gave me a new prescription, but switched it to generic. I don't know his reasons for this, but the pharmacist called him to confirm, so I know it wasn't an accident. I was just wondering if anyone has switched from brand name to generic, and if so were there any different side effects? Any input is appreciated. I am not looking forward to running out of the brand name that I have left... Thanks.

SeizetheNight

I've never had that happen, nor have I had issues with brand name vs. no name.

IMHO though, It might be worth trying just to see if the generic controls your seizures any better.

Usually the generic is problematic for people with epilepsy because inconsistencies in the levels of active ingredients lead to less consistent seizure control. I would call your doctor to find out why he specified the generic -- that seems very strange.

I take Keppra and my epileptologist had to call my pharmacist and tell him NO GENERIC for me because it lowers my seizures threshold because of the reason that Nakomova mentioned. Here, if it isn't written on the script that the patient needs name brand only, then the pharmacist automatically issues the generic.

Generics ARE problematic for people like me, whose seizures are difficult to control.

Generic keppra was the devil for me!!!!!!!! Been off of it about a month and I'm still having ongoing issues. Horrible side effects that were no where near normal. So listen to your body. I hope you don't have the issues I had.
My co-worker/friend is on the brand name and she didn't have the issues I had so there might be a difference.

Good luck to you

My doc didn't switch me to generic, but when the generic came out, the pharmarcy did. I gave it a try, but after a week, I was having seizures in my sleep and having migraines that lasted all day. I called my doctor and he said it was an error on his part. He had signed on line that allows generic because before then, there was no generic. His office notified my insurance company and called pharmarcy to get me brand name.He has brand name only on all my prescription now. He explained that most people with epilepsy do not do well on generics. The key to seizure meds is keeping patients on a constant level. That is why taking your meds on regular schedule is so important. The generics allow a level of meds to be between 80-120% of the active ingredients and fill in can also verify. The whole idea of generics is against the theory of seizure meds. There are a few people on here that say do they do ok on generics, but it is a real gamble and most neuros agree that gamble is not a good thing. Some insurance companies will force patients to try generics. This is a big issue.

Thanks for the input! I ended up calling my neurologist to find out, and he said that the military will no longer be giving out brand name keppra, and it will soon be completely off their shelves. Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait and see if this generic is any different. I know that I am not looking forward to it, especially after doing a little research. My seizures have always been months apart (even without meds) so I find myself wondering if the risk is even worth it.

SeizetheNight

SeizetheNight! :)

Hello! I've been taking generic Keppra (levetiracetam) for 3 yrs now, w/ no noticable difference in side effects. 1 day when I was ordering my Keppra refill, my pharmacist suggested I try the generic version, with the suggestion, "If it doesn't work out, or you don't like it, you can always switch back to Keppra." The biggest difference is the cost/price. With Keppra, it was $100 to $110 a month for me to pay; with levetiracetam, it was $75 to $85 a month the 1st yr, & now it's only $12 a month. Ultimately, cost may be the explanation as to why the military is switching you to levetiracetam. And always remember, hopefully your neurologist is optimistic enough to discuss other much, much newer medications such as Vimpat & Banzel with you if you're uncomfortable with trying generic Keppra. Take care, SeizetheNight!

Back
Top Bottom