Keppra for absence ??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KimHen5

New
Reaction score
Hello! We're having an issue with absence seizures, which is a new development for my daughter who is 11. She's been on 1000 MG Keppra twice a day for a few weeks now. Her t-c & myoclonics have significantly decreased (YAY!!) but now we're having some pretty significant absences with no apparent triggers.

I personally witnessed 5 yesterday, 3 lasting 30+ seconds. The day before she had 4 that I saw & she's had a couple of odd things accompany them. I know when having an absence that you can continue an activity you're already doing, like walking, etc, but she's doing new things that she wasn't when it started. One time was during lunch when she had a French fry in her hand, started an absence, then leaned over & tamped her fry on her sisters plate across from her & stubbed it like she was putting out a cigarette. When she snapped out about 30 seconds later she didn't remember any of it.

2 hours later (these are all almost exactly 2 hours apart!) in the middle of Walmart she started one then leaned over & grabbed my purse strap & held on to it for about 30 seconds & let go as soon as the absence ended.

What are your thoughts on this? I've heard Keppra isn't particularly effective in stopping absence, so should we try another med? Is it common to do these types of things for absences?

I'd love your input so I can have a bit of insight before I can call the neurologist tomorrow. Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom