Keppra Bad for Bones Too?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

Has anyone heard of this with Keppra? My doc put me on Keppra and took me off Dilantin because Keppra was supposed to be easier on your bones. But, i just got another bone density test (after being off of Dilanitn for 2 years and on Keppra for a year) and the results were worse.

I've been exercising and taking Calcium and Vit. D supplements religiously. So, I looked online and found this link.

http://www.internalmedicinenews.com...older-antiepileptics-for-bone-protection.html

It basically says the Keppra was worse than Tegretol on bones. Has anyone heard anything like this or does this sound credible?

Ive been on Keppra for 13 years now and my doctor hasnt told me about anything Keppra being bad for the bones. I was taking Carbatrol with the Keppra, and he was mostly concerned with me getting off the Carbatrol, and keeping me on the Keppra.

Honestly, just because a doctor hasn't mentioned it, doesn't mean much to me. My doc has missed so much over the years that I'm looking for a new one.

The date of the article is January 2012. It also notes that the claims that Keppra was easier on bones was based on that its mechanism of usage is different than tegretol, dilantin, etc., and other drugs that are more known for bone loss. No actual studies were done to prove that it was actually easier on bones (of course the docs never mention that one).

The article cites a recent study that seemed to show that despite the different mechanism of action for keppra, it still showed bone loss as great as the older drugs.

Just wondering, since its so new, if the article looked like credible research, or if someone might have heard of this elsewhere..

thats news to me, been on keppra for 2 years now mainly the dilantin was giving me the feeling of having arthritic pain in my joints...

Thanks for the article Dignan, that's interesting to know. I think with a lot of the newer meds, there isn't a lot known about long-term side effects. They are brought to market with minimal testing on humans. We are the guinea pigs for what might happen down the road. I keep looking for research that examines the long-term side effects of Lamictal on vision, but I haven't been able to find any active studies -- and there definitely ought to be some.

The Keppra article includes the following comment:
There are no clear guidelines for bone health monitoring in patients on AEDs. "What we recommend is when you start the drug, [get] a baseline, and then [monitor] every 3-5 years. Vitamin D levels should also be checked and supplemented if deficient," he said in the interview.

That's about the size of it.

I agree Naka, I just wish more docs would just flat admit if they don't know something instead of pretending like this can't happen. I've heard docs say "Impossible.." when I've asked this very thing about Keppra in the past.

I don't mind a doc that doesn't know and admits it. That is someone I can work with, as long as they are committed to helping and really trying if a problem arises. It's the ones that act like the sum of all knowledge rests with them that pisses me off the most.

I have been on Keppra XR 500mg (very low dose) for 4 years. Within 2 years I went from having no bone loss to being Ostiopenia with arthritis in my spine. I was told that Keppra has the least amount of side effects so I don't have too many options.

I don't mind a doc that doesn't know and admits it.

For me that’s one of the signs of a good doctor. Not a hell of a lot is know about epilepsy and a doctor that “has all the answers” is clearly lying in some instances. Personally I think it’s ego driven. No one likes working with another’s inflated ego. They will never listen because of their narcissistic personality.

I much prefer a “I don’t know, but let’s look into it.” That makes me feel like I’m working with my doctor, that we are a team. As does it allow room for dialoged.

Lastly, in an effort not to hijack this thread, I have been on Keppra for 3 years and never had a bone density test done. I do get killer heartburn and eat antacids like they are going out of style. I’d like to think that cancels the effect of Keppra. If my hip shatters, then I thought wrong….

Well this thread has kind of freaked me out. I hope that my level of physical activity that I've had all of my life will help me out (I think there were only maybe two years in my whole life since I've been able to walk that I wasn't actively doing some type of exercise).... I'm on Keppra right now. It scares me knowing that I'll probably have to be on these medications in the long term with all of these negative side effects. I think if I could get off of them and find every one of my seizure triggers and avoid them I would...

P-Funk, I found that taking anacids on a regular basis, can cause B-12 deific.

P-Funk, I found that taking anacids on a regular basis, can cause B-12 deific.

Looks like I might need to up my B-12 intake because this heartburn isn’t going anywhere!!

:gob: (B-12 vs Heartburn)

Be careful, you can take to much B12 also.

This is such a wonderful game of do this and watch and SEEE.

Back
Top Bottom