keppra and the depo

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jonsey

New
Reaction score
Please any advice will be greatly appreciate. My daughters epilepsy is down to her menstrual cycle . Im million to one sure . But this was and to some extent still being ignored by the doctors . Amy is now on keppra along with lamactal and the depo . Since being on keppra she has had two small seziures both with a break through on her time of the month . The first one she did miss her am dose and breakfast as well . Im after any advice if anyone has tried or on meds for epilepsy which is down to your periods .
We are hopeing to get a hormone test , im phoning the Doctors tomorrow with this request

Ps

Can keppra interfear with the depo :ponder:

Keppra shouldn't interfere with Depo-Provera, no worries there. Lamictal levels can go down when estrogen levels are high, so sometimes that can be a factor...

If you think she may have seizures linked to her cycle, one possible treatment is the drug clobazam (Frisium). It's taken along with the usual anti-epileptic drugs, but just on the days when she's at a higher risk of having seizures.

good morning Nakamova

Nakamova, do you think its not a good idea to reduce the lamctal . Amy is on 300mg of lamactal atm . She has reached 1000mg keppra. Last friday amys epilepsy nurse wants her to start reducing lamactal by 25mg every fortnight. So eventually she wil only be on keppra .

Im going to speak to Amys gp this morning and i will take your advice about clobazam

Thanks again for the advice, its very much appreciated

It's tough when evaluating 2 AED meds at once. If the Lamictal wasn't completely controlling her seizures, and her seizure control has gotten better with the addition of the Keppra, then it's either (A) the combo of the 2 meds thats doing the trick, or it's (B) the Keppra alone that's doing the trick. The only way to find out for sure is by reducing the Lamictal to see what happens. It is definitely preferable if you can get seizure control using the fewest meds possible, so I hope that's the case with Amy.

Another thing to ask about is the use of progesterone cream -- it also can be used with catamenial (estrogen-related) seizures.

You are talking about depo provara, birth control, the shot that you have every 3 months right?

I started taking depo provara before I had epilepsy. I had horrible PMS so the main reason I started taking it was so I didn't have a peirod. I stayed on it even after I was diagnosed with epilepsy and still never had a peirod.

I had a hysterectomy last year and haven't noticed any changes in the ammount of seizures or types since I've stopped taking the depo.

Last edited:
Good morning Valeriedl
Yes Amy has this every 10 weeks tho. There was a big improvment once she started on the depo, only having seziures when it was either coming to the end . Unfortunatley this is the trigger and Amys gps are ignoring this at present, but not for long the whole hospital will no by the time im finished with them .

She is on keppra now along with lamactal , she has had two since starting keppra , shes been on this med 2 months now

She was only taking lamactal before

I'm wondering why she is having a peirod while on it? Is it only happening when the 10 weeks are up and it's time to get another shot? As I said I never did, even when it was time to get my next shot. I take keppra and lamactal also and never had any problems with it.

Morning Valeriedl

She has the depo like clockwork , every 10 weeks. I no you cant have it any early . So maybe im looking at the merina (i think i have spelt that wrong ) . like the months previous when only on lamactal Amy could go months (eight is the longest) . One month she would complain of the usual complaints , backache , tenderness , you no the usual things , spotting then seziure . Maybe it was just a rough month or it was because it was coming to an end (the depo)

Back
Top Bottom