Keppra and Testosterone

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
I found this article, which says in research studies that Keppra has been shown in increase total and free testosterone levels in men.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2010.02732.x/pdf

This confuses me, since after I've been taking Keppra, I've experienced the exact opposite. I know each drug can affect each person differently, but if this is true, then I now I REALLY don't know what the heck is going on with me..

Anyone know anything about this or have opposite reaction like me?

(if this needs to go in the research forum, then I apologize)

Thank you for the post! I have the same reaction! For the first time in my life, the libido is downward. My docs just say, well, that's your age (I am 44 in September) I do not buy that load of crap as I am super fit and healthy. I talk to many men about this too and it seems to be the keppra. I found that taking quality mineral supplements (especially ZINC) has made a huge difference. My guess is that keppra affects the mineral/zinc absorption or something like that.

Have you spoken to your neurologist about this or some other type of doc? My neuro won't deal with any libido questions, he says its not his area (even when I suspect the drug may be involved).

I was ready to try and switch off Keppra till I saw this article. Not sure what to believe..

In your case, are you stable enough to possibly switch to another AED and see if it makes a difference? Did you always take Keppra? If not, what did you take before and did you have similar issues?

Yes, keppra has worked for me all these years. I tried moving to lamictal back in March and started having random Tonic clonics in public on occasion so back to keppra cause we know it works. I am eager to try something else, i also am not sure if it was the lamectal or what. But I need some support before i try any changes again.

So then your problems in this area with Keppra weren't there immediately after you started taking it, but rather they developed over time?

I felt like I was affected from the get go with this drug. I took a Dilantin/ Neurontin combo for 15 years prior and had no issues like this whatsoever. Don't know if you ever looked into those drugs..

Like you, I workout and stay fit, so I feel like I'm doing all I can do on my own. I'm 40 and had docs say some of the same stuff to me, which I don't buy either.

What type of zinc supplement do you take?

I did not try neurontin but was on dilantin in the beginning for a while. And Dilantin messed up my teeth/gums something fierce. But did not notice an effect like this from keppra until i had been on it for some time. (maybe a year?)
I take a zinc-oxide in a pill that makes a big difference with libido issues when i add it to my regular multi-vitamin. Zinc Gluconate may be easier for the metabolizing and that works too. I do know that you can over due it with the mineral zinc and have it be poisonous, so i watch for signs and have not seen/felt anything like that and i average
200% RDA every few days , on top of the regular multi that has 'enough' in theory.
Because zinc is so important for cell repair and neuronal growth it concerns me that i seem to be so impaired of this nutrient.

The keppra effects me the same /and other ways too.I had to stop all my anti-depressants ,the keppra was getting me more depressed and more seizure issues. I also have plaque-phsoriasis over a large part of my body,but that's been discounted as an issue from keppra,BS. To me , a doctor should try to listen and learn from their patiants instead thinking that they know everything....every-body expeiriances meds in different ways. We are not just one . We are all one of many differences...

rich, i am confused; did you say keppra workes for seizures but bade you more depressed and so you had to give up other meds for depression? I am curious.

lol, The Keppra makes me depressed and the anti-depressants made it even worse. I had gone into a deep depression and even more siezures. We stopped all the three anti depressant and now on T3, a thyroid type for moods. seems to working (Liothyronine).

I'm a female and have done informal research into a lot of things hormone related. One thing I remember seeing is that if a male has too much testosterone your body can comvert it to estrogen. I would suggest possibly looking into some sort of estrogen blocker. I believe some body builders use them. I know because of other issues that the vitamin shoppe sells test supplements containing estrogen blockers so the may sell something containing just the blockers. Not saying that this is the issue but it may be worth checking into.

lol, The Keppra makes me depressed and the anti-depressants made it even worse. I had gone into a deep depression and even more siezures. We stopped all the three anti depressant and now on T3, a thyroid type for moods. seems to working (Liothyronine).
Rich I know the keppra definitly affects my mood as well. Iv'e been taking it since I've been 13 and when I first started it I had incredible keppra rage. That is mostly diminished since I have gotten older I am 27 now but I still find myself at times with sudden spikes in rage/anger. As for the libido thing I never had an issue with keppra and my libido before but that may have been since I was going through puberty when I first started it. But even last year I was fine then in march 2013 I had 2 more resections and the surgeon also did something to my frontal lobe and since then I have had 0 desire for sex , I have to forced myself to get aroused and I don't even like to be touched really as in like hugging or holding hands. This is a real problem for me since I know I didn't feel this was previously. I also tried taking DHEA 100 mg's x2 day but that didn't seem to do much for me.

For depression I would recommend taking sam-e or 5htp instead of SSRI's might be something you want to talk to your doc about. Best Regards

I am very interested in trying something else for depression. It has been clinical for me and long, long lasting. It started before my E. I also have a brain injury and need to beware of effects on that. Thanks for your input urza3277

Janus,

I'm dusting off this old thread to ask if ever had any hormone labwork done with regard to some of the libido issues? If so, I'm curious if everything came back normal and if you have any old tests from before keppra that you can compare to?

I've had some tests done and they say everything is normal, but I never had detailed stuff done before before (because no complaints) and therefore no reference to compare against.

That said, my DHT level was very slightly low, but again everything else looked solid.

Just wondered about your experiences.

Dignan, I have had bloodwork done re; hormones and they said everything is normal. this was at my request as i had symptoms of testosterone deficiency. That was the only test ever for me so nothing to compare to. I still find supplements of minerals and some vitamins effective in healing the signs of hormone loss. Mostly Zinc and B-vitamins.
I also have been weaning off of keppra and moving over to Lamotrigine. So now only 500 Keppra at bedtime. But that has been no help so far. I know i am 44.75 years old now and the doc says it has more to do with that, but i do not believe him.. what's up with your results?

Like you, I've felt that my symptoms sounded like testosterone deficiency, but all my labs came back normal. So, normal in fact that they tell me there is nothing to treat. The only test i had that came back a little low was DHT (and when I say a little low, I mean like 1 point south of the normal range) and that was written off.

My total testosterone level has gone down about 150 points overall the past few years since the med change, but my levels while taking Dilantin before were actually at the very top end of the normal range or even a little high. My theory (which no one believes based on known Dilantin actions) is that the dilantin may have actually spurred testosterone production (in response to aromatase induction and increased SHBG caused by dilantin use) and perhaps my body got used to producing and operating on high levels of testosterone. Then, when I came off, my levels are still considered solidly normal, but maybe my body isn't used to "normal" and therefore my symptoms surfaced as a result. But, that is just a guess. Of course, all of this goes against established Dilantin theory, so docs aren't much help. And, my levels didn't really go down any till I had been off dilantin almost 2 years, while my symptoms started a month into tapering off of dilantin, so that may mess up my theory.

I am considering going back to Dilantin as a test to see what happens, because I dont know what else to do. I had hoped to hear from you that you noticed some improvement after weaning off of keppra, and I'm hoping you do notice that over time. I've had some memory and brain fog on keppra as well.

Like you, I exercise, so I feel pretty in tune with my body, and the change was so fast that I don't think it was just normal aging. I've seen several different types of docs about this with little luck and sometimes differing opinions. To go into that here would take forever, so if you want to discuss the specifics about what doc did or said what, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Thank you Dignan, and that is a cool name by the way. There are factors for me like anxiety that alters everything in that area. I am super concerned though. no one want to live live a eunuch and never enjoy life as normal. I can only deduce that the meds are directly related to this. And it must be stopped! I hate to sound dramatic but i'm dyin' here! The docs all tell me, "well that can happen with most drugs for E. but what is the alternative?" I just don't by that.
I also have been eating more sugar as well. that may play a role? I guess we just have to pay attention to our bodies and find the right med/dose for us. I know that sounds like a cop out. live and learn right?

I'd be surprised if sugar had anything to do with it. I think its all med related too, just wish they had a greater understanding of how it all works with the meds, brain, and body, but they clearly don't so we're left to experiment and hope we don't make things worse by changing to a med that doesn't work for us.

I'm assuming you are going to continue tapering off of Keppra. Let us know how it goes and if you notice any improvement in how you feel.

Back
Top Bottom