Keppra withdrawal anybody

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been on keppra for about 8yrs and me and my epileptologists made a decision to go off of it started monday and im either having glithes which I have been doing pretty good or withdrawals any input since I havent weaned off a drug I have been on for a long time in about 10yrs.tried it in feb. Withdrawal was too much tried phenobarbital.

What kind of symptoms are you having? Im on Keppra XR @ 3000mgs a day. When I was taken off the Keppra abruptly for my VEEG last year, I experienced some withdrawl symptoms.

Feel kinda like comin off my pills in veegs just not as bad no t/c s lot of glitches and spacing out at times.but happier

I got off my keppra cold turkey. Everyday seems to be a little bit less hectic. I don't know if it's the keppra or if it's just me. I would feel like I do coming off any drug, mentally shot, things just don't seem more like a dream. My anxiety seems to be calming down. These drugs are weird, I got off of most pretty quick and easy. Some were a real pain. Best wishes and I am glad you are at least feeling happier!

When I was abruptly taken off of Keppra for my VEEG last year, I felt really spacy, and then came the dizzyness... I just didnt feel like myself. I remember feeling off... I guess thats the best way to put it. I was also taken off of Carbatrol ER abruptly too at the same time. So I dont know if what I was feeling was due to both of the medications at the same time, or if one or the other was causing the affects.

From what my e dr. says dizziness not a side effect of keppra I dont doubt the other one though when I was on it for a week it was worst than food poisoning

It was probably a combo of the two that was affecting me. I recall the first day being ok... then it was that first night, that I felt weird. From then on, Its kind of spacy as far as things to remember with seizures coming and going...

Yes awful mental changes coming off and more seizures..... slowly got to normal after about 3-4 weeks.

I had a really hard time weaning off Keppra. With each reduced dose the dizzies would come (interesting that your e-Dr says being dizzy isn't a part of it. It was for me but the brain is a weird and wonderful thing) and increased seizures for a few days but then my body would thank me after it adjusted to the new dose. They reduced it every 2 weeks. In the end I upped the reduction to once a week because I was tired of the effect it was having on me and just wanted to be rid of it but that was quite the ride. But that was just me! I hope your body adjusts easily.
I am way happier being off of it and my hubbie says it is like getting his wife back.
Again, that's just me. Glad you are feeling happier too!

Back
Top Bottom