Lamictal/Lamotrigine XR?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Anyone know or have experience with Lamictal XR? I'm currently taking Lamictal and it makes me really sick. I think I would have better luck with an XR. Is there a generic XR released yet?

Thanks!

The extended release form of Lamictal isn't available yet as a generic. (the drug company likes to hold onto those patents as long as possible). I haven't tried the XR, I'm on the generic lamotrigine and it works for me.

Hope the XR works for you.

I was on Carbamazepine XR for 20 years with no problems. Husband and I are trying to have a baby and wanted me to be on something safer. I think my body isn't used to getting this much medication at once. I'm throwing up and getting really nauseous. I have tried taking it with food but it only temporarily makes me feel better. I'm at my last straw. They are having me do another Lamictal trough level at the end of this month. Thy just upped my dosage cause my last trough level was slightly low (3.8).

Can you split your dose through out the day? I only take 100mgs so I take 50 in the morning and 50 in the evening.

If my doctor ever gets back to me (because I think I need to move up in dosage) I'll probably be taking 50 in the middle of the day as well. Unless we move up to 200, then I'll split it 100/100.

I'm currently taking 200mg 2x/daily. Since I've been throwing up I'm going to call my doctor and see what they think I should do.

Actually the generic form of Lamictal XR was just released the to the public last month. I found this out yesterday only because my mail order pharmacy wanted to substitute and increased the price of the brand name from $200 for 3 months to $400 for 3 months. I wish I knew someone who had experience with it.
I did try the generic form of Lamictal before I started Lamictal XR and I had cognitive side effects which is why I think my Dr. put me on the XR since there was no generic equivalent. I am nervous about trying the generic again but I am going to give it a shot for financial reasons.

Good to know the XR is in the generic form now -- hope it does the trick for you.

Actually the generic form of Lamictal XR was just released the to the public last month. I found this out yesterday only because my mail order pharmacy wanted to substitute and increased the price of the brand name from $200 for 3 months to $400 for 3 months. I wish I knew someone who had experience with it.
I did try the generic form of Lamictal before I started Lamictal XR and I had cognitive side effects which is why I think my Dr. put me on the XR since there was no generic equivalent. I am nervous about trying the generic again but I am going to give it a shot for financial reasons.

This is a weird question, but where are you from? I know that it was released in Canada but I wasn't sure about the US. The only articles I find say that it was approved by the FDA and were "working on an immediate release."

How long have you been takign it? I had nauseu isitially but it got better with time. I am takking 400mg and split it 200mg in the am 200mg in the pm.

Do you guys get your levels checked? I"m having a difficult time deciphering the one page I found discussing lamictal levels. This isn't something my doc has mentioned AT ALL.

I've been on it since October. I've been on monotherapy with it for a about 6 weeks

Do you guys get your levels checked?
Lamictal doesn't have a target therapeutic dose, so you'd only get your levels checked if you were having problems with seizure control or side effects. And you might get them checked during and just after pregnancy, when increasing or decreasing estrogen levels can affect the clearance of Lamictal from your system.

There's a suggested range, but the therapeutic dose is highly individualized. In other words, whatever works, works. So for me, that happens to be 150mg/day. For someone else, that might be 400mg/day. We'd have very different target levels. So as long as you're stable at whatever your dose, there's no pressing reason to check the levels. Some neuros do like to check the levels routinely (annually) as part of a CBC, but if nothing has changed in your situation or overall health, it's basically optional.

I feel like this is a stupid question: does anyone know the actual measurement for a trough level? The doctor said it Gould be between 4 and 16. But, 4 and 6 of what?

I found something, I think it was on Medscape, that detailed which levels were thought to be toxic, but I couldn't find what an ideal therapeutic level was. It's probably a little different for each person.

I feel like this is a stupid question: does anyone know the actual measurement for a trough level? The doctor said it could be between 4 and 16. But, 4 and 6 of what?
The trough level is the level of med in your blood at it's lowest, right before you take your next dose. Ideally the blood test is taken at this time rather than after you have dosed. It varies from person to person, depending on your metabolism and your dosage. There is no perfect trough number, just a suggested range -- and some folks are fine below that range, while others are fine above it. I think my last Lamictal level was 5 -- and the suggested range was 4.0 to 18.0 mcg/ml (which means micrograms per milliliter of blood).

I really can't believe my doctor hasn't asked me to come in for level checks. That seems so wrong now.

I really can't believe my doctor hasn't asked me to come in for level checks. That seems so wrong now.

It does seem odd to me as well, but if you have been controlled they may see no reason to check it annually. You can always call and request it though

Back
Top Bottom