Lamotrigine keeping me awake

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Brighton

New
Reaction score
Since my lamotrigine dose has been upped to 100 twice a day my sleep quality and length are massively impacted. Neurologist said this and keppra were clean drugs compared to valproate which I was on when I was younger. I am therefore tempted to try keppra before going back to valproate. Any advice ? What used to be called grand mal seizures is what I get- was 12 years Med and seizure free then one 4 years back and one 2 weeks back I am sure caused in part by lack of sleep from Meds. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey brighton --

My sleep was terrible when I first was ramping up onto lamotrigine, but once I was on a stable dose of it for a month or so, that side effect went away. I sleep fine now. If you can, give it a little more time to see if your sleep quality improves as your brain adjusts to the increase.

If it's already been three or more months at a stable dose, then the sleep side effect may be more problematic, and it's worth considering a switch. Keppra comes with its own lovely side effects (particularly mood-related ones), but everyone is different so it might work out for you. It works differently than lamotrigine, and has a shorter half-life, so there's also the possibility that it won't provide the same level of seizure control. Again, YMMV, so the Keppra could be worth a shot if your current sleep issues persist and make the lamotrigine a no-go.

Hey brighton --

My sleep was terrible when I first was ramping up onto lamotrigine, but once I was on a stable dose of it for a month or so, that side effect went away. I sleep fine now. If you can, give it a little more time to see if your sleep quality improves as your brain adjusts to the increase.

If it's already been three or more months at a stable dose, then the sleep side effect may be more problematic, and it's worth considering a switch. Keppra comes with its own lovely side effects (particularly mood-related ones), but everyone is different so it might work out for you. It works differently than lamotrigine, and has a shorter half-life, so there's also the possibility that it won't provide the same level of seizure control. Again, YMMV, so the Keppra could be worth a shot if your current sleep issues persist and make the lamotrigine a no-go.

Thanks for quick response. Don't know how long I can take it plus am worried tiredness will bring on seizure but may be I should keep trying.

Brighton,

Just adding to Nakamova's response:

Keep up with your vigilance on sleep. My son had insomnia with Lamictal. We thought it would settle down when he reached therapeutic dosage, it did not. He also began to have more seizures on Lamictal and we had to discontinue it.

Individuals respond differently to medications. It did not work for my son.

-Best,
Suman

Lamictal/lamogritine is a bad drug for some. It is a bad drug for me. Neurologists only know what they're talking about if they've experienced it for themselves.

If you're having problems with this drug, it's up to you: continue the dose or not. Note the side effects, etc. If they're unbearable, insist that you go off it.

There are no clean drugs.

Brighton,

Just adding to Nakamova's response:

Keep up with your vigilance on sleep. My son had insomnia with Lamictal. We thought it would settle down when he reached therapeutic dosage, it did not. He also began to have more seizures on Lamictal and we had to discontinue it.

Individuals respond differently to medications. It did not work for my son.

-Best,
Suman

Cheers

Explains why I get dreadful sleep.i been on it for years not been able sleep for year so take zolpidin then that don't work on its own so take double and untold on top if I lucky I get 4or 5hours.If don't sleep make e and migraines worse and taking unprescribed amounts not to good either.i wish someone told me this when first went on it.i get screamed shouted out bc keep others awake I don't but I easy target to blame

Back
Top Bottom