Let's talk about vitamins.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BIGMAN131307

Veteran
Reaction score
I've been thinking about giving vitamin therapy a try soon. But before I start I'd like to know which ones seem to help the most people. I would also like to know some brand names to try
or some decent generics. Where do you buy your vitamins? Drug store, grocery store, health
food store, etc??

I did some digging around here and found the following vitamins mentioned.

magnesium
thiamin
vitamin B6
zinc
Antioxidants
Omega-3
B Vitamins
Multivitamin Supplements
5-HTP
potassium
calcium

Are there any others? What foods naturally supply some of these vitamins? Those that tried vitamin therapy, how soon have you notice any changes? Has those changes resulted in Rx AED dosage lowered or eliminated completely.

I'm sorry for all the questions. But the last few days have been hectic. Between having 2-4 CPS, and digestion problems my head is spinning in pain. If I was feeling better, I'd probably find this info. myself. But alas google hates me right now. :(

Well, this would be a book in process, to nail all this information down into a thread here.

My recommendation, would be to do a google search on the particular vitamin, read up on it. Look at the side effect, and recommended RDA. You might need more than what is recommended. You can search for the foods that the vitamin is found in, but occasionally when we are ill, we need the supplements. You would have to be eating bucket loads of food to fulfill your daily requirements.

I buy a lot of our vitamins and minerals at Whole Foods these days.

I think vitamin therapy needs to be done in conjunction with nutritional changes.

vitamins I would add to your list to research are:
taurine
COQ10
Vit D
Vit E

I've been thinking about giving vitamin therapy a try soon. But before I start I'd like to know which ones seem to help the most people. I would also like to know some brand names to try
or some decent generics. Where do you buy your vitamins? Drug store, grocery store, health
food store, etc??

I did some digging around here and found the following vitamins mentioned.

magnesium
thiamin
vitamin B6
zinc
Antioxidants
Omega-3
B Vitamins
Multivitamin Supplements
5-HTP
potassium
calcium

Are there any others? What foods naturally supply some of these vitamins? Those that tried vitamin therapy, how soon have you notice any changes? Has those changes resulted in Rx AED dosage lowered or eliminated completely.

I'm sorry for all the questions. But the last few days have been hectic. Between having 2-4 CPS, and digestion problems my head is spinning in pain. If I was feeling better, I'd probably find this info. myself. But alas google hates me right now. :(

Hi Bigman,
If you are feeling bad and having the digestive problems check out the posts here on the GARD, Atkins, and Gluten Free diets. B6 can be risky, too much can cause some serious problems and I've read it can interfere with dilantin, if you take that. Before taking any vitamins, check with your pharmacist about possible interactions with any meds and also do your homework to find out the safe dosage. I just posted an article on the gluten free diet at Suite 101:

http://epilepsy.suite101.com/article.cfm/drug_resistant_seizures

Also do a search on "taurine" "epilepsy". That amino acid was one that helped put a stop to my seizures. But don't just start popping supplements without being very well informed about them and knowing how to use them safely.
My vote would be to look into one of the diets along with taking supplements if needed.
:mrt:

I'm not a fan of pac-man. So popping pills willy-nilly isn't my style. :) Well the only AED I currently take is Trileptal. I also take two meds. for my digestion problems. Levsin to reduce stomach spasms to help the digestion process. The other is Lomotil to reduce diarrhea.

I've been trying the G.A.R.D. for almost a year. The diet has helped some overall. But not as much as I would have hoped. I feel a little better than I did before. So I may or may not stick with it completely. I haven't decided on that yet.

My overall goal is to locate / create a vitamin regimen to coincide with my AED. This vitamin therapy needs to be helpful for reduce/eliminating CPS seizures. After I start this therapy, I will track the progress extensively. I will stay with my AED throughout. If I see a reduction of seizure activity I will stay with the established regimen longer. Perhaps after a year or so of reduced activity, I could have my AED dosage lowered.

I'd like to have a list of all vitamins useful for CPS treatment. The most successful ones mainly. But the others are also welcomed.

Last edited:
If you have digestive problems, you possibly need to heal that before you would get any benefit from supplementation. If you have leaky gut, or the intestinal wall is inflamed the supplements won't be absorbed properly and you will be flushing the vitamins down the "john".

I have also learned that it is important to heal the liver pathways of toxins, to get the complete benefit of the vitamins and minerals.

If you have digestive problems, you possibly need to heal that before you would get any benefit from supplementation. If you have leaky gut, or the intestinal wall is inflamed the supplements won't be absorbed properly and you will be flushing the vitamins down the "john".

:agree:

Most vitamins people take just go right into the sewer system because their digestive tracks are in such a mess that these vitamins are never absorbed and assimilated properly. Focus on healing your digestion first and foremost. You may find that diet control works even better when your digestion is in order. If your digestion doesn't work well without the medications you're taking, then it's not going to handle supplements well.

Try to incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. They're easy on the digestion and contain lots of vitamins. I do hope that you're able to find a balance between nutrition and medication so that you can lower your dosages over time :)

Try to incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. They're easy on the digestion and contain lots of vitamins. I do hope that you're able to find a balance between nutrition and medication so that you can lower your dosages over time :)

I'd much rather do that anyway. If I can get the vitamins through foods, that would be great.
But I still need to know which vitamins help reduce CPS activity. A list of foods that supply those vitamins is also needed. I do know a few of the obvious ones, but other sources are probably out there.

Besides food is always more affordable than vitamins.

I'd much rather do that anyway. If I can get the vitamins through foods, that would be great.
But I still need to know which vitamins help reduce CPS activity. A list of foods that supply those vitamins is also needed. I do know a few of the obvious ones, but other sources are probably out there.

Besides food is always more affordable than vitamins.

All of the above plus read about and consider trying either the gluten free and\or the SCD diet. Also, maybe you'll want to ask your pharmacist for a list of nutrients depleted by your meds and if it would be safe to take those supplements with the medss. You may also want to ask your pharmacist what you can do to minimize any drug side effects by using supplements.

But I still need to know which vitamins help reduce CPS activity. A list of foods that supply those vitamins is also needed.

My son has CPS and I recently researched what foods supplied the vitamins he needed. I prefer not to supplement with pills because it can be tricky to regulate. All I did was type "foods containing Vitamin Name" in my search engines to come up with these lists. Here's the list I made for my son. I only copied down the foods my son enjoys, so if you research for yourself, you may find more options than I've listed.

Folate: Spinach (1/2 cup gives you 33% of daily requirement), broccoli, melon, oranges, and strawberries are good sources.

B6: Avocado, Bananas, and Cabbage

Choline: Tomatoes, bananas, oranges, corn, cauliflower, and broccoli

Niacin: Spinach, almonds, carrots, celery and seeds

B1: green peas, spinach, romaine, tomatoes, eggplant, corn, asparagus, sunflower seeds

Vitamin E: Almonds, apple, asparagus, avocado, hazelnuts, mango, spinach, tomato, walnuts, sweet potatoes

Vitamin D: pure sunshine (try to get at least 30 minutes a day or as much as weather permits in the winter months)

Vitamin C: Is found in just about all fresh fruits and veggies. One of the easiest vitamins to get.

Vitamin A: This is also easy to get plenty of if you incorporate fresh fruits and veggies in your diet.

I also recommend researching the type of medication you are on and if it has any side effects regarding your vitamin/mineral balance. For instance, Trileptal and Lamictal can cause sodium deficiency. Phenobarbital leaches calcium.
Therefore, since I'm on Lamictal and Pheno, I drink Gatorade and take extra calcium, in addition to drinking milk and eating cheese.

I also highly, highly recommend getting a good juicer. I am admittedly not a big veggie fan. For me, making a juice out of 1 apple, a bunch of carrots and a HUGE handful of spinach is an easy way to get added vitamins. Not to mention my fav--orange and strawberry juice. Mmmm...
I have the Jack LaLanne juicer, so I get some fiber along with the juice.

my son had simple partial seizures and migraines as well, our pediatrician put him on 200mg day vitamin B6. worked like a charm for about a year, mostly on the migraine side of it though. i was concerned about the dosage but was told by 3 different pharmacies that it is a water soluble one and what ever his body didnt require and use would just be pee'd out. at the time , he was on no other meds.

What has cured me of thirty years of migraines (which are now classified in the seizure family) is ionic magnesium.

My daughter takes chelated magnesium to help with seizure control, and to keep body functions normal.

B vitamins are all I use to control my many different types of seizures.

In over 38 years of having seizures I have never used any Antiepileptic Drugs to control my seizures. Antiepileptic Drugs have no positive effects on my seizures; I know this from Antiepileptic Drug trials that I have undertaken. I have a very RARE type of Pyridoxine (vitamin B6) Dependent Epilepsy. The exact course is still unknown. What this means is that if I take less than... approx. 350 mg/day of Pyridoxine my 'many different types of seizures' will return. If my B6 was to be stopped today, my seizures would become more severe, I could become mentally impared or worse due to status epilepticus. After much research that I did into the B family of vitamins and with my doctor's consent, I included a multi B complex tablet to my already prescribed daily dose of B6 when I was 19 years old. This has stopped an aura that I was experiencing almost every morning.

I do not use any special diet: It would be impossible to extract 400 mg/day of Pyridoxine (the extra 50 mg is to boost my seizure threshold in case of illness) from a diet. I would need to eat just over 588 medium sized bananas a day, each containing 0.68 mg of B6... and that's just B6. Then there are the other seven B vitamins that I use.

Vitamins can interfere with some Antiepileptic Drugs.

It has been found that A high dose of vitamin B6 can cause Peripheral Neuropathy.

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Andrew

Last edited:
I do believe additional vitamins help but I think you have to add them to a healthy gut. It seems the path, to me, is to heal the gut, balance the diet and then deal with the meds. Id hope :) a healthy, properly running body would need less meds than traditionally prescribed.

just my thoughts
joan*

Also P.S... For those that think they are GF.. you may not be as free as you think. Ive been going thru this and am really SHOCKed where they hide glutens. Im starting to see glutons, like I do sugar substitutes, just unhealthy for human consumption!!

What glutens hide in:
shampoos
toothpaste
vitamins

Just to name a few. Just FYI

joan*

OK I need some more insight on the vitamin issue.

I located a couple of multivitamins that I may try. But I have been seeing mixed reviews of these type of vitamins. Most say these vitamins act like beer. You take them, then in a few hours you flush them out.

Some people suggest taking organic vitamins. But I don't plan on spending $$$$$ just on vitamins.

So what do you think of these multivitamins?

One A Day
Centrum

Are either of them worth my time and money? Or would I just be flushing my money down the drain with them.

Do any of you purchase vitamins online? If so which ones, and where? Have you had any problems with them?

I would appreciate all the information I can get from people with experience with the vitamin supplements.

Most vitamin supplements largely pass through the system. The form/binding of various vitamins in the supplement can affect how well the body can absorb the nutrients, but you are going to end up pissing away most of the supplement no matter what.

One doctor told me that the best vitamins are the ones that you have to take 3 a day (or so). He actually recommend women prenatal vitamins for everyone. Avoid any one a day formulations. You have a better absorption rate with the lesser dosages in several pills than a single mega dose in one pill.

That said, the very best vitamins come from food. If you have the time/inclination, get yourself a good vegetable juicer and start juicing veges/fruits.

Sorry if I repeated myself - I didn't re-read the whole thread to see what I posted before.

If your digestive tract is so messed up you are having to take meds for it, you might consider doing some research on enzymes which helps to break up the food so your body can absorb it.

http://www.enzymestuff.com/digestion.htm

I don't put much faith in the multi vitamin craze. I say, figure out what the issues are and target that. Can't say I do the pac-mac version, but I do have my daughter taking many vitamins at the moment to increase the healing process. Once healed I do believe we can then consider the foods being enough. For now, the body is in need of a boost.

Back
Top Bottom