This is a Long one...but i missed you for that hour!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
So the forum is down right now, but I wanted to start a new topic. So here I am typing it all down in Microsoft Word first! :woot:

So I just wanted to relay to you all a few things I have noticed since keeping my diary! *thanks all who suggested it and Meetz for her list*

First thing I noticed is that I have way less seizures when I eat regularly. Some days this week I recorded 15 absence seizures and 2 complex partials. *I seem to have figured out my normal types of seizures.* These are days where I will not eat from 8-5 sometimes longer because im working and busy.

The days that I do eat breakfast at 8, lunch at noon and dinner at 530, I have had on average 4 absence seizures and no complex partials. I think I may have come on to something here. *big grin*

The other thing I noticed is that I Have a really regular sleep cycle. Bed at 11pm and awake at 7am. 8 hours every night. Yet for about 2 months now I have felt that I have been having a really non-restful sleep. I’m out cold for those solid 8 hours, yet feel like I’m more tired when I wake up than when I went to bed. So I thought I just needed a bit more sleep. So I did an experiment

Starting on Monday I added an hour of sleep a night. So Monday I went to bed at 11pm as usual. Tuesday was at 10pm. Wednesday was at 9pm and Thursday was at 8pm. I felt no different waking up, and still did not feel an better. In fact the night where I only had 8 hours felt better than this morning when I had 11 hours. So here is my questions:

Is it possible to have absence seizures while sleeping?
If so is it possible to not notice?
Is it possible to have complx partials while sleeping?
If so how do those “look” as im not walking around and never remember waking up?

My theory is that if it is possible to have seizures while sleeping that my fiancée or I would not notice when we are in bed sleeping, Is that I have them a lot more at night. And the more I sleep the more I can potentially have, so getting more sleep is nto helping, but actually adding to the issue.
Any thoughts? Maybe even tips on how to fall asleep better. I have a new bed, only drink one cup of coffee in the morning and the occasional pop at dinner. Usually I stick to water or juice. I see a chiropractor every thurday night from a car accident on Christmas eve. I went from 3 times a week to once a week in a matter of almost 10 months. Someone told me to get my thyroid checked?
Sorry for the long posting! *grin*

It is

possible to seize in your sleep...........I am proof of that. ALL of my seizures are nocturnal, or sleep seizures.

Yes, your thyroid needs to be checked, but so do your other hormones, such as progesterone and estrogen. Progesterone is a natural anti-convulsant.

A couple of other things. Avoid caffeine at least 6 hours BEFORE you go to bed. Drink some herbal teas like chamomile to help. Also, calming CDs, will help. And, melatonin can also aid in the sleep problem, because some of us do not reach REM sleep (like me) because we don't make any.

Just a few hints.......

Take care!

Meetz
:rock:

*chuckle* I'd say make sure that you don't eat heavy meals before going to sleep, and make sure that if you do have a snack, that it has protein in it. When I eat before going to bed, it's a piece of toast and a boiled egg. Since you notice that you have more seizures when your eating is erratic, you might want to get your blood sugar levels tested. If you know you are hypoglycemic especially. If you have any relatives that have diabetes, have your doctor check to see if you are hypoglycemic and switch to a diabetic style diet. Limit consumption of sweets and carbs. Avoid sodas. Eat 6 times a day. I'm not talking huge meals, but small meals that would fit on a dessert plate. You know, a couple whole grain crackers and string cheese. Or a yogurt. Believe it or not, that will help you keep your blood sugar even and has been shown to help people lose weight. It'll also help keep your mind more focused. :) Hope this helps.

Thanks so on my list to ask is this:
*magnesium def
*melatonin def
*diabetes
*hypoglycemia
*hypoxia (if i cant breathe i have one. though i never got back my results from my breathing test so not sure if i am asthmatic*

If you are on meds, those could be contributing to the unsatisfying sleep. Lamictal makes my sleep lighter and more restless, and after 8 hours I feel lousy rather than rested.

Also, since you've isolated a potential dietary trigger, I would focus on that for the time being. Try to implement a system of getting regular nutrition throughout the day, and then see if after a few weeks/months your sleep has improved. It can take a while for the body to recalibrate, especially since the metabolic/hormonal/electrochemical systems are all interrelated.

Oh! And don't be surprised if you have a change in seizure frequency around your period. :) Hormone fluctuations can trigger seizures. :)

lol well i did have my period last week and noticed a few more than usual. i'll see if that happens next moth too.

Back
Top Bottom