Longterm solo travel overseas- thoughts/tips?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

flats88

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. After years of feeling like nobody really -gets- it, I finally realized I should join a forum. I'm think I waited so long mainly out of denial. I will be the first to admit I'm still in denial about 30-40 percent of the time.

Anyway, I experience primarily absence seizures. Once in a blue moon I will have a grand mal, which is generally precipitated by bad choices (drinking + lack of sleep + stress = the perfect brew for a grand mal).

My main question for this post is about travel. I am 26 and will be taking off at the end of the month on an extended backpacking trip through Western Europe. I will mainly be staying in hostels, but I will also couch-surf where I can and I also have some family in the south of France.

As a woman I'm anxious to travel alone as it is... Not to mention the fact that I have a history of generalized anxiety and panic attacks.

I suppose I'm just looking for advice. Have you done big trips abroad such as this? What are things you wish you'd known before leaving?

Thanks.

flats88

Welcome to C.W.E. unless you have E nobody really does understand but you will work through it. About your question, I hope you enjoy yourself especially couch-surfing, being honest with you I would be worried about the travelling alone part even if you did not have epilepsy and it does not matter whether you are male or female. You need to bring enough medication for the trip and a bit extra because you do not know what could happen, you could get delayed somehow, miss some connection or something. You should get a letter from your doctor saying you have epilepsy and the medication you are on, what you take in the morning and night or whenever you take your medication just in case something should happen, God forbid.

It would be no harm warning an SOS bracelet because not everyone speaks English but these bracelets are reconised just about everywhereand keep something in your purseor wallet as well saying the same. Considering you plan on going across europe it might be an idea to apply for a European medical card.

There is an internation epilepsy association you can contact for help on all this, I know that but just cannot remember the name or phone numbers. I will have to try and find them for you.

The most important is you enjoy yourself and be carefull things are not always as they seem.

Hi and welcome!

Good advice from Fedup above. If you are on medication, bring all the pills you'll need plus an extra month's worth to cover you if there are unanticipated delays. Make sure to store some medication in a separate location in case you get separated from your primary luggage. You might also ask your doctor about providing you with a small rX of Ativan or Lorazepam -- this can help if you are having extended seizures and are nowhere near a hospital.

It might be worth discussing the ativan/lorazepam option with your doctor for treating the occasional anxiety attack as well. It could also help to make a habit of brief "meditation" breaks two or three times a day. These don't have to be anything fancy, just 5 minutes where you close your eyes and try to focus on quiet diaphragmatic breathing, with longer inhales than exhales.

If you don't already keep a symptom diary, it's a good idea to start. The diary can be useful for tracking your symptoms, gauging whether they are progressing in any way, and looking for triggers that you might potentially avoid. For instance, if you realize that flashing lights are problematic, you might give the dance clubs a miss. :)

Epilepsy aside, you might plan in advance to have regular check-in phone calls with family or friends, and can give them a rough idea of your itinerary as you go along.

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks for your advice. I definitely plan to take a letter from my doctor as well as more than the amount of medication I will need in case I get stuck. He has already discussed recovery medications with me in case I need them, as well as something for panic attacks should I need that.

As for anxiety I've been working a lot on that leading up to my departure- going to yoga 4-6 days a week since January which I think has helped a lot. I think you're right that I should set aside some time for mindfulness, especially since I might end up thrown not having my usual time for yoga.

I'm contemplating planning a yoga getaway somewhere in my trip to look forward to... maybe Spain? :ponder:

I have not heard of this so called 'european medical card'. I will look into it. I was told by my health insurance company that I would be covered overseas in case of emergency.

I think the most difficulty I am having with all of this is perhaps coming to realize that I won't be able to travel like everyone else in my 20s, and will have to perhaps be more cautious. For now I'm kind of living with the illusion that my money will last me through August, but in reality I know that once I start traveling, I will likely be tired more often than the average 26 year old and perhaps need more alone time/privacy (hence more expensive accommodations... Meaning I will likely be back stateside sooner than I'm expecting). I suppose I just need to keep my expectations in check.

flats88

Yes you will have to be cautious no doubt there, you are well able to travel and enjoy yourself just like anyone in there 20s, ok you will have to make some adjustments but in reality you are just the same as any other person in their 20s. Yes your travel insurance will cover you but there is the small print believe me. Look into the European medical card and enjoy yourself.

Like the others have already stated you need plenty of your meds. Having emergency medication is always a good idea. You need to have a current Rx for each med you take. A letter from your doctor stating what each med is for is also required.

Here are a few sites that could provide more specific details. Each country could differ
in their documentation requirements. So plan ahead accordingly.

The International Bureau for Epilepsy (IBE)
http://www.ibe-epilepsy.org/

International League Against Epilepsy
http://www.ilae.org/

Epilepsy Action
https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/
https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/travelling-abroad

Epilepsy Foundation
http://www.epilepsy.com/

I hope this can help.

Please plan a safe trip, and enjoy yourself. :)

All good advice above. Just as a real life example that it can be done. My seizures started when I was 22. I'm now 53. In those years I have traveled all over Europe several times, cross country road trips of the US and Canada three times, a month in China, a month in the Caribbean snorkeling, two months in Vanuatu on a conservation project, a cruise from LA to Australia, a month in southern Africa, a month in Tanzania including climbing Mt Kilimangaro, and bunches of other shorter trips.

You say that your TC's are brought on by bad choices. it's good that you realize that now. So, I think that refraining from those bad choices while you are traveling is a good idea. i know it's tempting to drink and be merry while on vacation but, if it means you have a TC and are out of it for several days, it's not worth it.

Relax and have fun!

thanks, that's reassuring! and i hope to have your travel resume someday. impressive. :clap:

I think solo traveling would depend on what type of seizures you have and how often you have them.

I personally would not feel comfortable traveling alone. On average I have at least 7 complex partials a month. I have at least 3 simple partials a month and a few tonic clonics a year.

Most of my complex partials come on with no warning, I don't have a simple partial before it. I wouldn't have time to find a place to sit down and have the seizure. During many on of my complex partials I like to get up and do things. Knowing me I'd end up having the seizure and walking a half a mile down the road leaving my back pack who knows where.

Lack of sleep, being tired and stress are some of my main seizure triggers. You said that these will bring on seizures for you too. I'd try to take it easy and try not to make any of these things happen. If you start to fell tired or get worn out I wouldn't push yourself to go another hour or two before calling it a day, start looking for a place to stay then.

Take more than enough meds than you think you will need just incase you wouldn't get back home when you are expecting to. Keep a list of your meds, dosages and when you take them on you. Have an emergency contact phone number, a family member perhaps, on the list. You might want to make check in phone calls to someone on a regular basis Make sure you have any meds that you are allergic to and if there are any sorts of tests that you are unable to have, like an MRI. I'd put down anything else that you think might be relevant also. I'd get some sort of medic alert bracelet and look into the medical cards that the others have suggested.

Have a good time!

Back
Top Bottom