Looking forward to today (NOT)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

huskymom

New
Reaction score
Hi all....got a bill from my hospital stay for the week long video eeg....not bad, but not what I was expecting either. I made sure to check with my insurance about possible cost. I was assured that the MOST that I would have to pay would be $800.00, or my out of pocket limit. Yeah, right. Not what the hospital is saying. So, today along with usual Monday work stuff, I get to spend most likely an hour or so on the phone trying to work all of this stuff out. Yay me! Of course I ended up having a super stressful weekend. I wonder if I should mention that to my insurance company? I know, I crack myself up too!!

If you're not getting anywhere with the insurance company, you might want to write your state insurance commissioner.
Years ago I was in a freak accident resulting in multiple injuries and spent a week in the trauma ward. The insurance company decided not to recognize the full amounts for my surgeries and hospital stay (they acted as if it were elective surgery and should be discounted).

So finally I wrote to the CT Insurance Commissioner describing the accident, the bills and what the Insurance company was refusing to do and why I thought it wrong. Sent it to the commissioner and a copy to the insurance company. Within 2 weeks the insurance company paid everything they were supposed to, no more hassle. I hadn't expected much results so was extremely surprised at how fast they acted!

Don't know how it works today but each state should have an insurance commissioner so if you don't get the results you want you may want to contact them.

Hope everything works out in your favor.

I don't have any advice to offer, but good luck with it. I hope it goes smoothly for you, and you don't have to have any further stress!

Update....round one to me! They were complaining that it was a private room. I told them that it has to be a private room and they said to have the hospital send a letter. I called my new fantastic doctor (I really mean that, not being sarcastic) and they are sending a letter of medical need to the insurance company and a copy to me. Then I spoke to the hospital billing department to let them know what was going on. They said to disregard this statement, that a new one would come in 30 days and that will be the first notice. I will keep my fingers crossed that it continues to go that well. Thanks Dolores for the info. I am so glad that you were able to work out your issues so fast and with such a great outcome. I love how they don't want to pay for things like surgeries you had to have. Not like you are in there for a face lift after all :)

I would have to pay would be $800.00

I’m shocked you got a number out of the insurance company!!

I have called in the past to ask treatment costs. Every time I get a run around saying “well we set different prices with different hospitals and each hospital charges a different rate.” So I ask if I should call the hospital, and I’m told, “well they probably won’t give you a number and if they do, it’s not the adjusted number.” I then ask, “so I have to get this test and the only way I will find out its cost is when I’m sent the bill”. There was then a long pause on the phone followed by “…..well we are working on improving our transparency”. YAH F_CKING RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! The health care sucks in this country unless you have a silver spoon hanging out of your mouth, otherwise you’ll be buried in dept.

Alright, I feel better.

Last edited:
Just a

tidbit about the Indiana State Insurance Commissioner....I actually DID get somewhere with them when I called a couple of years ago. The problem was solved in less than a week. :) More like 48 hours. My doctor was ticked, so that helped, and the hospital wasn't real pleased either. :)

I called the ISIC, talked with one person for about 15 minutes, and that was it. They took my information, called the doctor, and the hospital, and it was all dealt with.

P-Funk, I feel your pain! Actually, where I work, we have great insurance. We do have out of pocket limits for each calendar year. After you reach that, then they pay for everything. It will readjust at the beginning of the year. My tone might change as time goes by!!

It stinks doesn’t it!

My wife's work had (has) great coverage. Recent changes pushed the deductable up to 2,000 and they stopped covering almost all diagnostic testing. Now each time I get my med levels checked, its 150 dollars minimum. My wife goes to the dermatologist to get two moles with potential melanoma removed and a 400 dollar bill shows up two weeks later. I know I have it easier than some folks but it still doesn’t make the payments any easier.

At the very least, they should be forth coming with a cost estimate. When I get my car fixed I ask for an estimate, why does it have to be different for my body. :D

Back
Top Bottom