medical alert tag..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

morgan86

New
Reaction score
ok i've decided i'd like to get a medical alers id tag. i have a tiny pendant that just says "seizure disorder" its from a long time ago. b4 the doc finally deemed it epilepsy. so my question is what do i put on the new one'? obviously, my name, epileptic, and allergic to codeine. but i dont know what else.. can anybody give me an example of what they put on theirs? if im suppost to put a medicine down that i take... or leave that out??? do i put my phone number or my husbands name or anything??? and wear can i get one for cheap? oh i'd like to add that im getting the alert bracelet or necklace because its all part of coming to term with the fact that i am epileptic.

GAAA! i feel like im always posting questions on here! but honestly, i dunno where else other than this forum, that would give me the correct answers.

Hello Morgan, :hello:
I have a pretty dolphin wrist bracelet which says epilepsy on it (brought new from ebay) and I carry a small epilepsy id card with me ordered from:

www.epilepsy.org.uk

The id card has on it the recovery position, what to do and what not to do if you have a seizure, what to do in an emergency, an epilepsy helpline number etc. and there is space for you to write down:

* What type of seizures you have and what to generally expect during your seizure (i.e. daydream, fall)
* What usually happens after your seizure (i.e. sleep, problems talking)
* What medications you are on
* Emergency contact person and number
* Your doctor and telephone number
* Your name
* And an area for your address to go (optional)

I hope this helps
Kind Regards
Debbie
:rose:

Hello- I've used Medic Alert company for several years now and it has a file in their computer system that you can change info as needed online. The first year's charge is $35 then $25 each year after that. Its worth it. You get a pendant that has an ID# and their phone number that a person would call if you're unable to talk.
I would suggest writing "takes medication" or "see wallet card" for any other info that can't fit on an ID. Don't write what the name of the meds are because those might change over time. I like sterling silver so all of my IDs are silver. I put my name and last name initial, epilepsy (not epileptic due to personal choice), blindness, hearing impairment and tachycardia then wallet card under it. Then I provide the phone number to Medic Alert and my ID#. They also give you a card to carry in your wallet too.
After a teacher slapped me in P.E. at blind school, I finally realized that I needed to wear a medical ID that says I have epilepsy. Most people don't realise that you zoning out, becoming unresponsive or wandering is a complex partial seizure.
Definitely worth getting. Other companies online sell IDs for cheaper and then you of cource have some that are very nice and expensive. Look into American Medical Identifications. I got my necklace there that is sterling silver and then put Medic Alert's info on it. I got the pendant I wanted but still have the database file.
Anyways good luck on your search.

Crystal

medic alert

i have gotten my kids and my self medic alert braclets for numerous reasons.
i first went to the jewelry store and purchased one. i had all my allergies on it.
what the DIDNT tell me was that it was no way affiliated to the "medic alert" foundation in any way.

through research i realized the difference between the two types of bracelets....
1st (the jewelry store one) it only gives what it says on it. it is small so you can only put so much info on it.

2nd (the medic alert one) has a member id number and a phone number of medic alert and your medical issue. SO that if found non responsive for example the first thing they see is you have a medical issue and what it is, second it gives the phone number ( which is collect) and your member number so call that number and it gives your FULL history, your meds that you may be on (just not the dosage as it changes too frequently for most) and your contact info and your doctors name and number and all your emergency numbers....etc etc etc.

my opinion....go to the medic alert website....just type in medic alert, there is a canadian and US one as well. do your detailed history, meds, family and contacts and such and you are covered!

hope that helps,
jaysmom

Back
Top Bottom