Medication

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Addie

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm still fairly new to all this, I'm not on any medication yet but I'm going to see my Neurologist tomorrow to see what is going on.

I'm a bit concerned about medication. In general health I do not like taking medication. I won't take any pain killers or antibiotics if I don't really have to. I have a bit of a fear of becoming reliant on them. I have some nerve damage in my back and I will use Chinses Herbal Patches instead of pain killers.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about Homeopathic remedies or anything similar that could help with seizures that I could mention to the Doctor tomorrow.

I also do have a problem with swallowing tablets. If i can I will crush tablets (I Know your not supposed to) or have the ones that dissolve. Is there anything like that for epilepsy.

Or point me in the direction of another post that might help :)

Addie

Hi Addie. I don't no if of any interest to you. There is a diet called the Ketogenic Diet. I don't much about it so you would have to look it up or maybe someone on here knows something about it. I heard of it because I watched a film on it called First do no harm. Its a true story. Its a very interesting. Does anyone else know anything about this diet? Hope this will help. LOL.xx

Hi Addie! Welcome to CWE. :) There are alot of friendly people here, so feel free to ask questions, chime in , or vent in the padded room. Epilepsy can be frustrating at times, and we all need to vent. :)

As for the meds....Honestly, it's hard to give advice, because each of us is different. What works for one person may not work for the next. Also, we don't know what kind of seizures you're having. I would take the chart that Bernard offered the link to, and print it out and take it to your neurologists appointment. Explain to them your hesitation about using medication, and ask them questions about the different types of alternative treatments available. Also, tell them about the fact that you have difficulty swallowing pills and if you did decide to to go on meds that you would prefer something in liquid or dissolvable capsule form. They may not be available to you, but at least you're letting your doc know that you have difficulties with pills. Also, make sure that you tell them about the chinese herbal pain patch you use. if you do end up on the med route, you may find that you cannot use the pain patches anymore. Epilepsy meds can have interactions with odd things. For example, one of the meds available doesn't interact well with grapefruit or grapefruit juice.

If you doctor is open to letting you try alternative treatment, then understand that your insurance may or may not cover it. And that your neurologist, depending on the type of seizures you have and where you live, may not allow you to drive. As it is, you'll probably be unable to drive for a certain length of time anyway.

Also, seizures are not always due to epilepsy. Sometimes they can be triggered by low blood sugar or thyroid level fluctuations, or other hormonal fluctuations. In fact anyone can have a seizure. For people with epilepsy, it just takes less to trigger our seizures. Good luck at the doctor's!

Be very careful on the medication rollercoaster. In my opinion, try every other alternative that is available before going this route. It should never be made the first line of defense. It is far too easy for the medical community to throw up their hands and say "We do not know why you are having seizures, but we have a chest full of drugs to try to make them stop." Some people don't mind that route, others want to find out the cause of the seizures. I fall into the latter.
If seizures are due to celiacs, low blood sugar, heart related issues (and many others) medication will only cause further problems.

This is said from personal experience.

Robinn brings up a good point. So, to give your doc as much info as possible. Start keeping a journal. Write down everything you eat and drink (when and how much), how much sleep you get, any stress your under, any odd feelings (like deja vu, odd smells, swimmy feelings, migraines, coldness in the fingers or feet, etc...), and if you have a seizure, how long it lasted and what you were doing just prior to it. That may help in figuring out what triggers yours. So if you can remember back to the last seizure you had, try to remember all that info, and write it down. You may find that certain things will trigger a seizure for you.

Hi Addie

I also have a problem with swallowing tablets, I take Lamictal which dissolves instantly in my mouth before I swallow it, I have also taken other dissolveable AEDS such as Gabapentin. I always chew painkillers and antibiotics(disgusting I know) but luckily I very rarely need them.

I was told by my neuro that most AED's are slow release, so when it comes to med reviews and changes, I always cause them extra research. (this is probably why they keep changing my appointment)

Back
Top Bottom