Medication question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CallMeSam

New
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a worrier, so this is going to bug me until I see a doctor anyway, but when it comes to medications would you suddenly get side effects years after starting the drug?

I've been on Lamictal since July of 2007 and I've never had any issues with it at all. But recently I've developed a rash on both thighs. I'm sure it's just from the heat, it's happened before, but a small part of my brain keeps insisting it's from the Lamictal.

How likely is it that someone over 16 could develope that allergic reaction after nearly 4 years of being on the same drug?

Yep. Sorry, Sam, but a person can develop an allergy to a drug after 1 day or 1 decade. Side effects are that way, too. They can develop after years on a drug.

There's a quick way to figure out what's going on - see your neurologist or a dermatologist. Do it fast - if it's a drug reaction rash you don't want to wait.

I had a drug reaction rash the first time around on Lamictal. It was tiny little pinpoint dots with my skin red, in patches. Or actually in my case, it was in long streaks. It felt like a razor burn, if that makes sense. There are a bunch of people in here who have had drug reaction rashes, and I hope they'll chime in.

Call your doc, okay? It can't hurt, and it may help.

I don't have a neurologist currently, and I don't have a dermetologist either. But I did manage to convince my mother to get me an appointment with one of the doctors at the local hospital, so hopefully we'll figure this out soon.

Back
Top Bottom