MEDS:lowering dose/influencing diets

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aboizd1

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi guys-

I can't really decide what's wrong with me- I lowered my meds 1 week ago.
I started to feel sick about 1 week ago. I get a nauseous feeling without actually ever being sick feeling. Sometimes I get these headaches (that I'm not sure if their headaches) but its more like slight strains of tension in my brain for just a moment here and there. I feel ridiculously fidgety, nothing i do makes my body feel comfortable-it just feels off?

And the biggest problem is that I can't eat. I know that I need to and have to. but I can't. I started eating less before the lowering of my meds but now I recognise that it is a bigger problem...When i wake up I feel nauseous without actually being sick..its just an uncomfortable feeling, but food is a no-go. I take my meds and go. Then lunch comes and go's and I'm just not hungry. I have no appetite at all. Then I guess I feel worse around the time my body needs food in the afternoon...and its when i try to eat that i feel the sickest...without being to graphic, I could honestly vomit the second I eat. I'm currently forcing myself to eat because I know I need to-but it's not alot. In fact it's usually just some juice....I really only eat a small plate at dinner...

My diet isn't huge to begin with, I went from a regular diet, to a smaller one when I went on meds, to now almost nothing. I've lost 25 pounds in 5 months-about 5 a month, and it seems to be continuing. it's stupid. I'm not sure how to make myself hungry? And a guess is that it's possible that my body is getting sick from no food?

I'd love some input...I just don't know what to do with me...Has anyone else experienced meds influencing their diets????????

I don't understand it but my kids have no hunger either. I worry IF I didn't make them 3 meals a day, they would miss many meals. The only thing I try to do is have them watch the time. If they see its 12 or 1, even if they are not hungry they will eat something. Even though they don't feel hungry, they eat everything I bring to them. So I don't think they aren't hungry just seems their internal notification system, not working*
I wish you well.
joan*

...Has anyone else experienced meds influencing their diets????????

diets? probably not... metabolism? yes.

Depakote is infamous for causing weight gain.

When you do eat, what are you eating? What you eat can have a huge impact on your metabolism too.

FYI - if you are sick (ie. flu) and have a lot of mucous in your system, it can also interfere with normal hunger signals (mucuous drains from the nose down the back of the throat into the stomach - causing a full feeling and a sore throat).

When I was on Dilantin, I was nauseous and lost weight. When I was on Zonegran I couldn't eat -- I had no appetite AND my stomach hurt, and I lost weight. Now I'm on Lamictal and I've gained 15 pounds over the past year. The meds definitely mess with your metabolism, one way or another.

Your headaches may come from the meds, but there's also a possibility that they are due to hunger/low blood sugar. I would do what you can to get food in your system -- tiny frequent meals if possible, even if it's just crackers or a half a banana. And give it some more time to see if your appetite resumes as your body adjusts to the reduced dosage. if it doesn't, definitely contact your doctor or neuro to see what they recommend.

I agree with Nakamova that the meds interplay differently with each person's individual metabolism. While I know many many people gain on Depakote, I have actually lost a few pounds -- nothing alarming, but a few pounds nonetheless. I do know that I'm more sensitive to blood sugar ups and downs now that I'm on it though and have found that eating small meals several times a day and including good quality protein in every meal or snack has helped. If that doesn't do it, I'd definitely call the Dr.

AND another med can do it....

When I initially tried Topomax 12 years ago, it made me anorexic. I lost 15 lbs. and became anemic. Nothing was appetizing to me and I had to force myself to eat. Some doctors now use Topomax as a diet pill, also.

Please call your dr. As said before, these meds can mess with your metabolism and need to be checked out.

I lost nearly 2 stone in 8 weeks on topamax, weight stays constant on Gabapentin( but my appetite has lessened, I eat smaller portions now). On all other meds I'VE tried in the past, I've put on weight in varying amounts. If you're on meds, this needs discussing with your GP/PCP.

What exactly

DO you eat? Do you take meds? If so, what meds do you take? The others have made very valid points about Topomax, as well as Depakote in particular. HOWEVER, it is possible that you're developing a food allergy or something along that line that is staying in your system that just does not make you want to eat. Celiac disease is an example of that....and some of the results of that can be quite devastating if not caught in time.

A trip to the doctor is in order, and a serious talk needs to be had, and some bloodwork drawn. Meds & hormones probably need to be checked, as well as some vitamin levels, too.

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

Back
Top Bottom