Misunderstanding/Topiramate

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
Do you ever have someone completely misunderstand a question? I asked a nurse what is this? Pertaining to the blanket she laid on me because I thought be something medical and I was curious. She gave me the oddest look and my Dad was on the phone with my sister and he said "Adam doesn't even know what a blanket is. He'll be alright. Don't worry ""
Later that evening we realized I was on a very high dose of topiramate and it was making me "loopy". Although the meds were making me off I really realized when somebody asked me what my name was and it took me a 2-3 minutes to remember. I mean I have trouble spelling words often, BUT NEVER my name.
Dosage:200mg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topamax/Topiramate ("Dopamax") can cause these issues. I'm on 400mg/day. I've been using it since before a generic was available. The word-loss side effect is what I hate the most. I can "see" what I want/need to say in my mind--as if it's written on paper, but my brain and mouth can't connect. Short term memory loss is another annoying problem.

I'm off topiramate now, but I still have horrible short term memory loss. Seizures themselves cause memory loss.

I have horrible word loss. I can be looking right at the object and know what it's called but just can't think of the word. I usually have to describe the thing to someone and play a guessing game until they get it right, I can't tell you how many times I've had to do this. Even when typing things on the computer there are times I'll forget what the word is and have to Google a description of it to find out what it is.

I have horrible short term memory too. Someone, usually my husband, will tell me something that we've done but I don't remember doing it at all. I might tell him I'm hungry for Chinese and we should go get some and then he'll tell me that we just had it yesterday!

Back
Top Bottom