My daughter

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Guys, my daughter, my baby. She has described auras and partials to me over the last several months. :( <\3

She has experienced migraines. Spotty/flashy lights before her eyes with no source for them. Things being out of proportion.

I don't know what to do.

Very sorry that your daughter may be having seizures.
If she is having seizures, you do know what needs to happen, talk to a DR, get testing to verify whether it's seizures or migraines (or both) and then begin appropriate treatment.

chargingbird

Sorry to hear about what is happening to your daughter, the fear and other emotions but you know in your hearth what has to be done and you will do it. Take care and I hope all is well for your daughter, let us know how things go.

I know. I do.

Will it be horrible of me to wait a few more weeks? School is almost out. I hate to put it off, but at the same time, juggling two kids homeschooling, my work schedule and everything else....it would be a lot less stressful in a month.

I feel so bad :( I know it wasn't a choice and nothing could be done to prevent it from happening. But, now I know how my dad must feel. :(

:hugs:

I'm so sorry. :(

It's not horrible to wait a few weeks. It gives you more time to observe her behavior and to think about questions you'd like to ask a doctor. Start a diary if you haven't already.

Dealing With Your Chilren

chargingbird,
It is very obvious that you care greatly for your children!
A very important thing that you can't allow to happen is, Don't ever show any kind of disappointment in the child who has E. Many times parents unknowingly do things that their children can see and take in as a fact. If a parent ever says or does something derogatory to a child it may not only be the child being spoken about who is hurt. This could also make other children feel that it is OK to speak about the child the parent spoke about in the same way.
Just try to keep your actions positive around the child you has E.
I would have given anything for my mother to do that same thing for me when I was a child! All I ever heard was derogatory comments made to me by her!

ACsHuman

Have pre-migraine auras been ruled as what your daughter's auras/partials are, charging bird? Personally I would not put it off. Can you take her to emergency the next time she is in the midst of one of these auras? Depending on the size of hospital you are able to take her to there may be a neurologist present (esp if you take her there during the day) or on call at night who can evaluate her and get the ball rolling towards a diagnosis or at least a referral to a pediatric epileptologist.

How old is she.If she 15 I understand with exam situation and you want keep normality but knowing how slow things can be I would take her doc as soon as possible.school subjects can always be caught up with or resat.
if it migraine some people can get odd visual effects and somewhere in pits of my brain I think I read young people get that badly but not 100% sure.
I can only say what I would do and that stay calm for her sake and yours and go to doc.
I have never understood why people with e get derogatory remarks ashuman I had them myself and so has my daughter.

I know. I do.

Will it be horrible of me to wait a few more weeks? School is almost out. I hate to put it off, but at the same time, juggling two kids homeschooling, my work schedule and everything else....it would be a lot less stressful in a month.

I feel so bad :( I know it wasn't a choice and nothing could be done to prevent it from happening. But, now I know how my dad must feel. :(

Yes, watching your child struggle with this is very very hard :hugs:

I suggest calling and scheduling an appointment for her now - it's very likely that the appointment won't happen for 6-8 weeks anyway depending on how backed up the pediatric neurologists are in your area. Then if things escalate you can still follow masterjen's advice and take her to the ER.

Hi charingbird,

Your daughters seizures sound like mine right before I go into a complex partial seizure. My neuro told me that the flashing lights were do to the optical lobe being active and firing up more neurons in the brain. I also had migraine headaches before the seizures started. Tell your daughter the moment she starts to see the flashing lights to tighten up all the muscles in her body and make her hands into tight fists for a few seconds if she does this quick enough it will stop the seizure. I was told to do this back in the early 1970's by the neuro I had at the time and it has stopped many seizures. I wish your daughter and you only the best and May God Bless the both of You!

Sue

Have pre-migraine auras been ruled as what your daughter's auras/partials are, charging bird? Personally I would not put it off. Can you take her to emergency the next time she is in the midst of one of these auras? Depending on the size of hospital you are able to take her to there may be a neurologist present (esp if you take her there during the day) or on call at night who can evaluate her and get the ball rolling towards a diagnosis or at least a referral to a pediatric epileptologist.

I have really just started putting together all the symptoms, we haven't had anything formal or informal with a doctor about this, yet.

I will definitely take her to the er if she has another migraine like her last one. She was so miserable, and we weren't really sure what was going on until after it was over and she could describe it to us.

Our local hospital doesn't always have a neuro present, when I went after my first seizure I had to stay an extra day to see her. I guess she had a big caseload.

How old is she.If she 15 I understand with exam situation and you want keep normality but knowing how slow things can be I would take her doc as soon as possible.school subjects can always be caught up with or resat.
if it migraine some people can get odd visual effects and somewhere in pits of my brain I think I read young people get that badly but not 100% sure.
I can only say what I would do and that stay calm for her sake and yours and go to doc.
I have never understood why people with e get derogatory remarks ashuman I had them myself and so has my daughter.

She's 10. I'm not really worried with her getting behind, and she certainly won't need to repeat anything. But we're wrapping up her first year homeschooling, and our plans for next year are still being settled. It would just be a lot easier to wait another 2 weeks to even make the appointment. It also gives us time to document what we've already witnessed, and ask about it with out making her anxious about the whole thing. When school is actually over, I can be more direct with her about what she is experiencing.

acshuman, that's horrible :( I'm so sorry. :hugs:

Things will get better :)

I'm very sorry about your daughter I started having seizures when I was 7 and they were almost exactly as you describe as your daughter's symptoms.

You are probably doing this already but my mother always a wonderful help when it came to making me feel better. Talking to a doctor is critical but also just letting your daughter know that the aura will pass is a life saver.

My mother would lie me on the bed, and she would have me describe what I was seeing. The flashing lights were always severe but when I explained them, she told me it would get better and it helped me allot. She would describe the auras as nothing more than flashing stars, like you would see in the sky. This always made me feel better.

Eventually the auras would always pass, I was back to myself playing, learning and enjoying life. Just be there for your doctor and make sure you keep your doctor informed about any changes in the auras or meds she will be taking as they do change over time.

I wish your daughter and you all the best,

Dustin

Last edited:
I have a daughter who will be 14, I didn't have my first seizure till I was 26, just wanted to say that I was thinking about you tonight C.B.....my daughter came in the door with a pissed off look on her face at 6:30 in the morning because she knew I had already had one Wednesday morning and I was sitting in my recliner all "wrong" faced, and
"not right"...and her morning was going to be "not routine"....lol....we still have to go on! And I don't know what I will do if I am faced with this situation that you are faced with...as a mother my heart just cries out for you..please know that there are so many people out there thinking about you...prayers for you hun....

Back
Top Bottom