my son is starting to have seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello friends.
My son is 11 years old and he had his first seizure about a month ago and he was rushed to the emergency room and he had another seizure this morning.

The doctors did a cat scan , blood tests and all was clean bill of health but I am setting him up an appointment to see the doctor again friday because the first doctor said that the first seizure was probably a freak of nature and gave no medications for it but since it happened again , I know there is something wrong.

He does watch a good deal of t.v and he plays on the computer sometimes and then some friends say he may be going thru withdrawels from sodas because i stopped buying sodas and made him drink water , kool-aid or milk and tea and etc... but I find that hard to believe.

His seizures only lasted about 3-5 minutes each time then he is dazed and confused when i awake him to check his awareness and that he is ok and all but during the seizure he curls up real tight and makes weird noises and gags (so i layed him on his side and pried his mouth open to hold down the tounge with a spoon (I tried my finger this morning because i was no where near the kitchen at the time and my finger stil hurts))

I have been reading up on photosensitive epilepsy and I believe this may be the cause for his seizures but i am no doctor but this has got me worried.

any advise?

If you stopped him from drinking sodas, I suggest you take away the kool aid too. Look at what is in the ingredients. I believe my daughters seizures are diet related and mostly are triggered by MSG and other related excitotoxins in processed foods. There is a lot written here about nutrition and diet.

DO NOT PUT ANYTHING INTO HIS MOUTH!
he will not gag, but he might bite his tongue, that is unfortunately a part of a Tonic Clonic that can't be avoided. But it is advised that you do not put anything into the mouth.

The computer and TV is not the cause of his seizures but could be triggering it.
I suggest that you contact the doctor and perhaps get an MRI, EEG, and any other testing done that your Neurologist recommends.

By the way.. Welcome to the forum ... so sorry you had to experience this right before the holiday...or for that matter, anytime.

His seizures only lasted about 3-5 minutes each time then he is dazed and confused when i awake him to check his awareness and that he is ok and all but during the seizure he curls up real tight and makes weird noises and gags (so i layed him on his side and pried his mouth open to hold down the tounge with a spoon (I tried my finger this morning because i was no where near the kitchen at the time and my finger stil hurts))

I have been reading up on photosensitive epilepsy and I believe this may be the cause for his seizures but i am no doctor but this has got me worried.

any advise?

Never ever try to hold a person down while they are having a seizure. They can harm themselves or you. Don't ever put anything into their mouth. It is impossible for them to swallow their tongue. When you do it could cause harm to you or them.

The seizures he's having sound somewhat like mine. CPS (Complex Partial Seizures). You need to have him checked out by a Neurologist ASAP.

And yes, Photosensitive epilepsy is always a possibility. Try keeping him away from video games & movies or tv shows with heavy graphics for a while. See if there is any changes.
Report your findings to the Neurologist.

Hi clarkme3333, welcome to the forum. :hello:

As the others have said, never stick anything into the mouth when a seizure is in progress!

A cat scan and blood tests cannot tell the whole story and don't say anything about epileptiform activity in the brain. If you suspect photosensitivity, you need to find a good neurologist/epileptologist and get an EEG test done to test for photosensitivity.

thanks for your quick replies. All the information I can get is very helpful because I do not know much about seizures and it causes me to lose sleep at night worrying about this but from what i can see in these forums is that there are good peaple assisting each other with valuable information and comfort which is a good sign that everyone here is like a family of friends and I applaud you guys here,

thank you , I will be on here everyday checking in on new information

thanks for your quick replies. All the information I can get is very helpful because I do not know much about seizures and it causes me to lose sleep at night worrying about this but from what i can see in these forums is that there are good peaple assisting each other with valuable information and comfort which is a good sign that everyone here is like a family of friends and I applaud you guys here,

thank you , I will be on here everyday checking in on new information

Don't forget to fire away with any questions, or niggling problems you have which are concerning you....you'll probably find that alot of us are sharing exactly the same problem, and we may have solutions around them. ;)

Welcome aboard btw

Back
Top Bottom