need advice for problems at work

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

draggrif

New
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I managed to get a job in a kitchen after a year of unemployment. Over the whole year, on meds, I had only two or three seizures, and thought I'd be fine. The trouble started almost as soon as I got to work. My seizures are often triggered by persistant, loud, rythmic noise (like loud heavy metal, or once even a broken air conditioner) I was able to cope with the background noise of the kitchen, but not with my coworkers turning the radio on at maximum volume playing hard rock and metal. They've all blasted their hearing, so the fact the radio is so loud it vibrates the air on that side of the kitchen doesn't even faze them. I had a seizure my second day and, once recovered to some degree, explained what was happening and why, and asked them to turn the music down. It stayed down for only a few minutes before being cranked up to it's previous volume.

I have been having seizures consistantly from that radio, and pleas to the management has only resulted in being given 27 decible sound deadening headphones (it has virtually no effect against that volume of noise) Everyone complains about my seizures and I am constantly lectured about needing to take responsibility for my own health. I don't know what else to do. I'm taking my meds, I'm wearing the headphones, I'm even working outside of the kitchen at a small table so the sound isn't quite as loud, but I have to constantly dash in and out of the kitchen to get ingredients and am still exposed to the dangerous noise. I'm having seizures constantly and my coworkers and boss are angry at me. What else can I do? I can't afford to just quit; I can barely pay for rent and meds as it is. Does anyone have any ideas? I sure don't.

I can only think of 3 effective things to do
1. Depending on the size of the company you may have a course of action to correct this with HR.
2. There are always state and federal working laws depending on where you live.

I would have recommended education but based on your comments it looks like a lost cause. I know where is the third item.

3. Find a different job because like it or not any action may create more stress for you than you need.

If you take option 3 hopefully you can tolerate this one long enough to stay employed while looking. Just remember to keep the problems that you are having in mind while interviewing for that next and better job.
It can be a fight sometimes so just hang in and you can find a way out.

Contact the Department of Labor and find out your rights: Sounds like your employer may be breaking the law. If you are unable to work you may also be able to collect Social Security Disability. Sorry it won't let me post the link to the Dept. of Labor.

I would try and wear a small mp3 player with safe sounds that didn't cause seizures during work underneath those large headphones to deaden the outside dangerous noise. I am able to stop seizures from sound sometimes with absolutely alternate sounds than the trigger. Hearing "white noise" would be safer, whatever it may be. Maybe you can listen to the radio.

I like this idea; I've noticed in the past that my MP3 player can be a lifesaver in dangerous places. I'll run it by management. I won't hold out hope, but if they agree I might be able to actually get my work done. Thanks!

Change the radio channel to country music and turn down the volume. :paperbag:

That is the link for Social Security - but not the link to the Dept. of Labor.

There are OSHA regulations against noise above a certain level at work. NO BUSINESS is above that law. The decibles in the workplace will be measured, and if it's as high as you say, it won't be allowed. That is higher than a jet engine. (150db)

I'm guessing the employer will not want to equip their workers with mandated ear protection. You can wear both ear plugs and ear muffs, but the combination doesn't increase the protection that much. Who knows why.

Try http://www.osha.gov

The website is down right now, but I assume they'll fix it soon.

Here's a link to a publication for small businesses: www.*osha.*gov/*Publications/*smallbusiness/*small-*business.*html

It may not make you real popular if you turn them in, but maybe the business owner could use a little education. You have a right to a safe workplace.

Back
Top Bottom