Nerve Conduction Study... Question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My spine surgeon ordered a nerve conduction study for my spine injury. He explained that I would get several little shocks to check my nerves in my neck and arms. :eek::eek::eek:

I think I'm scared to death of more shocks... if you know what I mean.

Anyone have any experience with this test and seizures? Might it bring on more seizures?

It shouldn't induce any seizures. :)
Think of it like a reflex test, where they tap your knee with that little hammer, only they're going to use a little electical current to stimulate the nerve. Then they'll track the impulse and see if it's being impeded by your spinal injury. :)

Personally, no. But I've a friend who had it done a few times. :)

This video shows a nerve conduction test, and also an EMG (where the needle electrode is placed into the muscle) which you can ignore. You might find that it will set your mind at ease about the procedure:

I've had an EMG done.
The build up for the moment is more than the event itself.
Yes, it does hurt a little.
Yes, it's strange to feel your muscles contract.

More invasive than an eeg but not too bad.
If they are doing your whole spine I hope it doesn't take too long.

Be brave and it will be over before you know it!

I had the study done by a wonderful doctor. It hurt a tiny bit, but what happened next was unexpected. I felt very "electrical" the rest of the day and especially into the night. I had tons more jerks and twitches than normal and I felt amped up all night. When I woke up it had all calmed down. All I can say is that it felt as though the electricity seemed to linger for several hours after the test. Weird feeling.

Very interesting! I remember that after my initial-onset seizures I felt "electric" too. At the time, my watch battery died, and my car battery died -- probably coincidences, but it made me feel as if I was shorting out stuff all around me.

My sister had her arm dangling in a lake when lightning struck on the other side in the far distance. She felt a tingling running up her arm. It continued to occur for the next few days, in a lessening way -- sort of as if someone were playing the notes of a scale on the piano, but getting quieter each time. So I think your EMG was like getting struck by a tiny bit of lightning Julie, not so fun for someone with a lowered seizure threshold.

How interesting :). And it wasn't fun. That evening until about two am I was awake and miserable. It was way worse than the test itself. That's amazing about your sister... wow!

Back
Top Bottom