New to Epilepsy / Seizures / Aura's?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Miss M

New
Reaction score
Hi to all. I have introduced myself as a newbie and am still sorting out my meds. Started on Kepra, had mood problems, changed to lamictal but had teeth grinding and a rash and sore throat which is supposed to be a danger with lamictal, so was then changed to Topamax which was a disaster. I am now on 1500 Epilim, i have been on 1000 for years as a mood stabilizer.

I had my first seizures back in June, stroke type ones, whole left side went numb so i and the emergency department thought i was having strokes, until they did the MRI and found the brain tumour. Since that has been removed i have not had any seizures......until last night - i think?

I was sleeping soundly and then i felt this really really heavy feeling as though i couldn't move, at the same time right in front of me i was seeing bright colours, really thick bright clouds of colours, i felt as though i had no control. Afterwards i went back to sleep.

Today i feel really strange, very lethargic and kinda dizzy, my bones are aching and i have a big headache.

Is this what happens? In your sleep? Aura's / colours? i dont know anything about them?

I would really appreciate anyones input with this as it scared the hell out of me.

Miss M.

Hi Miss M,

Welcome to CWE! This is an excellent community for sharing experiences and information, asking questions, venting, and getting comfort from others who understand.

What you describe definitely sounds like an aura/nocturnal seizure. For some people the aura is the seizure, for others, it's a warning sign that more seizure activity is on the way. Sometimes post-surgical scarring can leave a person vulnerable to additional seizures, so you should keep a record of what you're experiencing and get in touch with your doctors.

Are you taking and medications or nutrients? Adding B vitamins, and magnesium can help, as well making sure you are getting Omega 3s in your diet -- they are all good for the brain.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom