new- twisting with hands tied

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Taschandy

New
Reaction score
Hi everybody, :hello:

Hope can get some direction with this, 'cause right now just running into roadblocks :zacepi:
My wife and I arrived from Russia in October and so far the only employment we have found is filling out endless and repetitive employment applications. My wife has been epileptic since she was 8, has 1-4 seizures a day for 3-4 days every 2nd/3rd month, and has run out of her medication. She has gradually reduced to 200 mg Carbomazapine and 2 pills of bellataminal (belladonna/phenobarbital, not available locally--like a very low-dosage dilantin). We do have sufficient bellataminal to last until her parents ship more from Russia, but she has currently been without carbomazapine for over 2 weeks and it's beginning to show. It will be at least 2 more weeks until we get the care package from her parents.
The problem is that we underestimated the difficulty of employment back here. And what we had set aside to carry us until we were employed is approaching nothing... In Russia, we were much in demand (both taught ESL for major corporations like BP and Novonordisk, and I worked as an editor for a couple of newspapers and some commercial interests); now I honestly hope Pizza Hut will call... the doctors i have run across since getting back, (for all there feigned humanistic virtues), go far toward explaining the medical crisis we find ourselves in... they all know she is not supposed to ever be abruptly without her medication as it is life-threatening, they also are informed of our momentary financial weakness and they all either demand insurance or extended (and expensive) testing before handing her a prescription for something she can prove (in Russian) she has been given for years... Free clinics and state aid are totally out of the question also, in that it is a condition for her eventual citizenship, that she is not entitled to such support..... brrrrr.... and even the questionable and ridiculously-priced Canadian/Mexican onlines require 3-week (or never) shipment.... anyway, open to ideas....:giveup:

Nat and Randy

Sorry, I guess I came on a bit strong and offensive... it's been a tough month...

Tascha had her first seizure of this cycle tonight... strongest in the 8 years we've been together... need 30 200mg carbomazapine to last until prescription arrives from Russia... I will replace them... PM if you can help.... thanx

Have you called the Russian/American Embassy in the city you reside in and asked for their help in your dire situation?

Thanks for the suggestion, Cint, but can't imagine what the embassy could do in these circumstances, and in all actuality, Tasch is Azeri not Russian....

Try contacting the pharmaceutical company that makes her meds..Most have programs for people who cannot afford meds.

You might also try some charitable organizations such as Red Cross, Catholic Charities, etc. -- whatever is in your area and discuss your situation with them.

Thanks Skillefer, but it's not really that these particular meds are so expensive... Walmarts quoted $4.00 (i'm presuming that's for the amount i checked-60 200mgs- and not each)... getting a prescription for them locally is problematic...if a doctor wants to see her at all without insurance, they want to run full evaluation tests.... Thanks to you too, Kansas Educator... I'm gonna try that and let you know what happens... number three for the day with convulsions... really slow coming back....

I know there are clinics in our area that even see illegal aliens for medical treatment. If nothing pans out with the charities, I'd look into that.

Thanx everybody... everything has been taken care of for the time being... ESMC stopped this cycle and prescribed sufficient meds to carry tasch over till the mail arrived... the hospital offset the bill and i've gone to work... becoming a bit more optimistic...

Back
Top Bottom