No side effects?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

xenome

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have no side effects?

I take 2000 mg of depakote ER and 2000 mg of keppra per day and I dont notice any side effects so it makes me wonder if the meds are affecting me at all, for better or worse.

My seizures are uncontrolled.

I am about 50 pounds overweight but I think that it has more to do with me not leaving the house very much and the fast food I eat. My weight is pretty stable too.

I also sometimes get SO mad because of the fact I have epilepsy that I just have to beat the shit out of something. Luckily I have a punching bag here at home that I use.

I dont sleep well either, but I live next to a major street and my neighbors are noisy.

Are these side effects? Should I be concerned if I dont have side effects? Is it possible to build up an immunity to meds?

Well...

Does anyone have no side effects?

I would be surprised.

I also sometimes get SO mad because of the fact I have epilepsy that I just have to beat the shit out of something..//..side effect?

VERY likely...nuerological drugs affect emotions very often!

I dont sleep well either, but I live next to a major street and my neighbors are noisy...//...side effect?

Possible...but sleep apnea may be another cause to look into as it is very common these days.

Should I be concerned if I dont have side effects?

I personally would say 'NO' but I am NOT a doctor and a doctor is who you should ask if you are truly concerned about no side effects. I also recommend you keep a 'good eye' on your routine and behavior so you can truly tell if things are as they seem.

Is it possible to build up an immunity to meds?

I don't know if 'immunity' is technically the correct term, but meds can begin to lose their ability to provide positive impact over time.

Thanks for the reply. It may be too hard for me to notice such things, because they are happening to me.
I should ask my friends too if they notice changes in me.

That's a very good idea!....

:rock:

Peace
Speber

The keppra could definitely be the source of your anger, hence the term KepRage. Talk to those around you and ask them to honestly tell you if they see a difference. I wish someone had talked to me when I started the keppra, because when I look back, I know that I flew off the handle at loved ones way too often.

As far as a tolerance, I started on 200 mg of dilantin and now take 550 mg 26 years later. However, I can't make a positive link back to tolerance because I am heavier now, older, stressed out a lot, and in poorer general health. It may also be linked to the fact that it took this level plus keppra to finally control my tonic-clonic seizure.

My personal experince. :twocents:

I also am VERY GLAD to here you are releasing your anger on the punching bag. I have wrote about channeling my anger away in many of my postings and it makes me feel much better.

:clap: Congrats to you.

When I was on depakote, I gained weight. That was the only major side effect. Now I'm just on phenobarbital. My hubby claims I have a lowered libido. it is a possible side effect. But I think that just comes from being tired. :)

I take keppra and trileptal. I believe that anger and sleep problems are both side effects of keppra. My sleep problems and anger issues are both controlled with Nerofeedback sessions. Side effects of Nerofeedback are clarity,energy,and in my case seizure freedom. In my case my seizure meds along with nerofeedback keeps my epilepsy controlled. Thanks be to God!!!

My daughter takes Depakote and Zarontin, and has side effects from both. I think the upset stomach is from the latter since it started about the same time as she started the drug. I do give it to her at supper instead of bedtime so that she isn't taking it on a empty stomach.

As far as the Depakote goes it is hard to say. There are days that she sleeps for 15 hours, but it isn't an everyday thing. I also question just how well her body is using the drug... We have the sprinkle capsules that I put in either pudding or ice cream and she insists on CHEWING. How one can chew pudding I don't know. :ponder:

Back
Top Bottom