Oil of Oregano-Herbal supplement??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jyearta

New
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has use "OIL OF OREGANO"

When I taken this, I feel better all around, meaning --it heps with my fatigue, mind-concentration/focus just all the way around. it has never caused me to have a seizure.

I have ear and sinus infections constantly, I finished an antiob. from my FP, and as always 5-6 days later, its back.
I would ask my FP, but I don't think they would recommend a Herbal supplement, I feel they would perfer to write a presc

Ingredients, Extra virgin olive oil, vegetables cellulose, beeswax, mixed tocopherols and chlorophyll.

Below is some information I have found on it.

But I still question if I should take it every day.

BELOW is what I found on the internet.
I Oregano Oil is a very versatile herb, which is not only a strong antifungal but also provides many other health benefits and it treats many types of disease and symptoms. As an antifungal it is extremely effective, just like raw crushed garlic.

A word of caution!
If you are taking blood thinning drugs, oil of oregano acts similarly in thinning the blood. If you take oregano oil with blood thinning drugs your blood pressure may drop too low and your blood may become too thin, so please work with your doctor on adjusting your medications accordingly.
Oil of Oregano is not recommended during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
Always dilute oil of oregano with unrefined coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil prior to using it; the usual mixture is 50/50.
True Oil of Oregano
Oil of oregano is a completely natural substance derived from wild oregano species. The plant grows in remote mountainous regions free of pollution. Only the leaves of the flowering plant are used. They are picked precisely when the plant is highest in essential oil.

Being wild, it is grown chemical-free and the oil is extracted via a completely natural process - no chemicals or solvents are used. The oil is the source of virtually all of the plant's active ingredients.

There are a wide variety of plants that are confused with oregano, including marjoram, thyme and sage. True oregano grows wild in Mediterranean regions such as Greece and Turkey. Wild oregano is the source of surprisingly potent oil of oregano.

The key element in oregano is the oil, which Foster points out in his book "In Herbal Renaissance" "contains carvacrol and thymol as the primary components." Foster attributes the "fungicidal and worm-expellant properties" of oil of oregano to carvacrol and thymol.

Cass Ingram, D.O., writes in his book "The Cure is in the Cupboard" "these two phenols [carvacrol and thymol] work "synergistically" and that is the reason "oil of oregano" packs a double punch in antiseptic power and explains why it is infinitely more potent than commercial phenol, in microbial killing power."

Treats Candida and Fungal Skin Conditions
All of this helps make oregano oil a significant factor in treating internal and external candida. Skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema, can be improved with oil of oregano as well. Ingram explains the astonishing discovery that "oil of oregano outright destroys all variety of fungi and yeasts, regardless of where they reside."

Oil of Oregano is a potent antiseptic used both topically and internally. Research demonstrates that it is effective in killing a range of organisms, particularly yeast and bacteria.

Effective Against Bacteria
Oil of oregano at relatively low doses was found to be effective against Staphylococcus bacteria and was comparable in its germ-killing properties to antibiotic drugs such as streptomycin, penicillin and vancomycin. [Science Daily 10/11/2001]

Thanks
jyearta

A friend of mine likes the oil too but for things like colds. I thought it was just a placebo effect since she never really got sick anyway but am suspicious just because it's sold as something that cures so many unrelated problems.

I did do some research & found no scientific studies that showed any benefits but found this.

There is no published evidence to demonstrate that that oil of oregano is effective for any medical condition or illness. The McCormick review notes that that data for every condition evaluated is “preliminary, inconclusive.” There is some very limited evidence to suggest that it might be useful for parasite infections — but given the evidence consists of only one study with 14 patients, and no placebo comparison, we really have no idea if the oregano oil itself was effective.
Conclusion

Oil of oregano, and the claims attached to it, is a great example of how interesting laboratory findings can be wildly exaggerated to imply meaningful effects in humans. A few small studies have been conducted, mainly in the lab, and advocates argue this is evidence of effectiveness. The rest is all anecdotes.

Despite the hype, there is no persuasive evidence to demonstrate that oil of oregano does anything useful in or on our bodies. And while it is popular, there is no science to support the use of oil of oregano for any medical condition. Suggesting that this herb is can effectively treat serious medical conditions like diabetes, asthma, and cancer is foolish and dangerous. If you’re ill, stick to the proven science, and save your oregano for cooking.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/oil-of-oregano/

I use a drop of oregano oil in my nasal wash. I use 8 oz warm water, 1/8th tsp sea salt, 1/8 tsp bak soda, 1 drop OO. Instead of neti pot I use a neilmed sinus rinse bottle. My oregano oil is extra virgin olive oil. I do know people that drink a drop or 2 in a glass of water.

I know someone that applies it to cold sores when he feels them coming on. The sores do not erupt if he does this.

I have used it when I feel a cold coming on. If I start it right away, I do not get a cold. If I am not able to take it right away, I will still get the cold, but the symptom time is shortened.

I say if you are feeling better, what is the harm. Stay in tuned with your body and keep notes so you can refer back to them, just in case.
I happen to use Olive Leaf Extract when starting to feel ill. However, since taking Vit D I have not had a cold or flu in 4 yrs.

Oil of oregano is a popular alternative health remedy for many ailments. I must say if you use this herbal oil properly then it will definitely show a positive results in very short time.

Back
Top Bottom