Painful ictus?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm sure I've asked this before, and I was reading another person's post here who had asked the same thing, but is there such thing as a painful ictus?

I get these headaches. I can usually tell when I'm getting one, but come on in a flash. At first, I feel kinda sick, and my head starts to ache a little. But then the pain suddenly comes on, and I feel like I've been hit with a cricket bat. That lasts (it feels like eternity) probably 30 seconds, and then the pain subsides, leaving me feeling sick and disoriented, my speech and vision blurry. If I have more than one within an hour, I'm shot for the day; I feel fuzzy all day and there's a dull pain in my head--kinda like my brain is telling me that it's in pain when it really isn't.

I used to have nocturnal seizures, but they are well-controlled. I take Lamictal, and that helps with the headaches to some extent, but it's still so bad I can't drive--I wouldn't feel safe behind the wheel of a car.

What do you guys think? I don't currently see a neurologist, but do you think it would be worth it to skip the neurologist and go to an epileptologist? I've seen a neurologist already... Two of them...

EDIT: They happen all over my head. I've been tested for trigeminal neuralgia, but he told me that if that was the case, the headaches would stay in one place. I also have neuropathy in my left arm.

EDIT EDIT: Same goes for migraine: I have had migraines, but this isn't part of it. It wouldn't jump around like that if it was.

Last edited:
Have you been treated for migraines?

That's part of the reason I take Lamictal. It's for seizure and migraine prevention, and like I said, it does control these other headaches pretty well. If I wasn't taking it, I wouldn't be functional. Without it, I have so many of them PER DAY that doing simple stuff like laundry is an incredible effort.

Oh, and as another note, if I don't take the time to let these subside--like, if I try to ignore the pain and try to work through it (I tutor English)--then my speech gets all slurry and I can't think clearly.

I'm sure I've asked this before, and I was reading another person's post here who had asked the same thing, but is there such thing as a painful ictus?

I get these headaches. I can usually tell when I'm getting one, but come on in a flash. At first, I feel kinda sick, and my head starts to ache a little. But then the pain suddenly comes on, and I feel like I've been hit with a cricket bat. That lasts (it feels like eternity) probably 30 seconds, and then the pain subsides, leaving me feeling sick and disoriented, my speech and vision blurry. If I have more than one within an hour, I'm shot for the day; I feel fuzzy all day and there's a dull pain in my head--kinda like my brain is telling me that it's in pain when it really isn't.

I've had post-ictal headaches, but after a bad TC seizure. I've also experienced migraines. Sometimes, before the migraine, I experience an aura, but not the same type of aura as before a seizure. With a migraine, I suddenly see spots, feel dizzy, sick to my stomach and then feel the intense pain on the left side of my head. Sometimes the headache lasts for the whole day. I have to stay in a dark room. The light will definitely make it worse.

That's part of the reason I take Lamictal. It's for seizure and migraine prevention, and like I said, it does control these other headaches pretty well. If I wasn't taking it, I wouldn't be functional. Without it, I have so many of them PER DAY that doing simple stuff like laundry is an incredible effort.

If the Lamictal isn't helping with the migraines, it's time to see a neurologist to prescribe something specifically for migraines.

I always get horrible headaches all over my head after tonic clonics. I sleep for a day after seizures, and minor events make my concentration poor. I've never had migraines, but I do have peripheral neuropathy, which keppra has almost entirely controlled.

If the Lamictal isn't helping with the migraines, it's time to see a neurologist to prescribe something specifically for migraines.

But it IS helping with the migraines. Not with the other ones. I haven't had a migraine in a few months now.

I always get horrible headaches all over my head after tonic clonics. I sleep for a day after seizures, and minor events make my concentration poor. I've never had migraines, but I do have peripheral neuropathy, which keppra has almost entirely controlled.

I have never had a TC but my neuropathy is only partially controlled with the Lamictal. I wish I had something more that would help. I'm already taking 200mg of Lamictal.

but is there such thing as a painful ictus?

I used to have nocturnal seizures, but they are well-controlled. I take Lamictal, and that helps with the headaches to some extent, but it's still so bad I can't drive--I wouldn't feel safe behind the wheel of a car.

What do you guys think? I don't currently see a neurologist, but do you think it would be worth it to skip the neurologist and go to an epileptologist?
EDIT EDIT: Same goes for migraine: I have had migraines, but this isn't part of it. It wouldn't jump around like that if it was.

Ok, let's start over. It does sound like an aura of some sort. It could be a seizure or a migraine, as some types of migraines do come with auras. Lamictal is usually used for seizures, so if you're experiencing what you think could be seizures, call the neuro and get both problems checked out again.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/migraine-with-aura/DS00908/DSECTION=symptom
Migraine aura symptoms include temporary visual or sensory disturbances that typically precede the usual migraine symptoms — such as intense head pain, nausea and sensitivity to light and sound. Migraine aura usually occurs within an hour before head pain begins and generally lasts less than 60 minutes before disappearing. Sometimes, migraine aura may occur with little or no headache.

Visual signs and symptoms
The majority of people who experience migraine aura develop visual signs and symptoms. These may include:

Blind spots (scotomas), which are sometimes outlined by simple geometric designs
Zigzag lines that gradually float across your field of vision
Shimmering spots or stars
Changes in vision
Flashes of light

These types of visual disturbances tend to start in the center of your visual field and move outward, or spread.

Other sensory disturbances
Other temporary sensations sometimes associated with aura include:

Feelings of numbness, typically felt as tingling in one hand or on your face
Difficulty with speech or language
Muscle weakness

Or there can be blurred, double vision, dizziness, and difficulty with speech when experiencing auras before a seizure.

From www.epilepsy.com
Early seizure symptoms (warnings)
Physical:
Dizziness
Headache
Lightheadedness
Nausea
Numbness

Huh. Thanks for this info! That's very useful. Raises some question (you may or may not know the answers, but that's alright--I think I'll look into an epileptologist).

Do those types of migraine auras always lead to a migraine?

Same for seizures... Does the one always lead to the other?

I'm almost four months migraine-free and 16 months seizure-free (YAY). But these headaches are just killing me! I have one almost every day--more often I have MORE than one in a day!! I just want to get them under control.... Driving would be nice.

One doesn't always have a migraine or a seizure after experiencing an aura. Sometimes that's all. It could also be a side effect of Lamictal, since you're having a headache every day. IMO, you need to see someone and tell them about these episodes.
http://www.drugs.com/lamictal.html
Less serious Lamictal side effects may include:

tremors, dizziness, tired feeling;
blurred vision, double vision;
loss of coordination;
dry mouth, mild nausea, stomach pain, upset stomach;
body aches, flu symptoms, headache, neck stiffness, increased sensitivity to light

Do those types of migraine auras always lead to a migraine?
In the past I've gotten migraine aura (scintillating scotoma) without subsequent headache. As with seizures, auras don't always lead to more generalized symptoms.

When I first went on Lamictal I experienced the "Lamictal headache". Though it was annoying and persistent, it was much less intense/painful than what you describe. I found it responded to Tylenol. After a few months on Lamictal, that particular side effect went away.

Regardless of whether your headache is seizure-related, migraine-related, medication-related, or something else entirely, I think you should definitely check in with the neurologist. There's no good reason to endure headaches and blurry vision.

One doesn't always have a migraine or a seizure after experiencing an aura. Sometimes that's all.

In the past I've gotten migraine aura (scintillating scotoma) without subsequent headache. As with seizures, auras don't always lead to more generalized symptoms.

Ah! Thanks. :)

It could also be a side effect of Lamictal, since you're having a headache every day. IMO, you need to see someone and tell them about these episodes.

When I first went on Lamictal I experienced the "Lamictal headache". Though it was annoying and persistent, it was much less intense/painful than what you describe. I found it responded to Tylenol. After a few months on Lamictal, that particular side effect went away.

Regardless of whether your headache is seizure-related, migraine-related, medication-related, or something else entirely, I think you should definitely check in with the neurologist. There's no good reason to endure headaches and blurry vision.

I started taking the Lamictal to TREAT these headaches. I've had them for three years (the same time I started having nocturnal seizures). I've been on Lamictal since early this year. I started at 100mg, and now I'm taking 200mg.

Did you increase the Lamictal because the headaches were persisting? If so, then it sounds like it might not be the right med. It can be difficult to treat headaches (as I'm sure you're aware) and it's often a matter of trial-and-error to find something that works. The studies involving treatment with anti-seizure meds show mixed results. You might also want to consider corticosteroids or intranasal Lidocaine to get some relief.

Did you increase the Lamictal because the headaches were persisting? If so, then it sounds like it might not be the right med. It can be difficult to treat headaches (as I'm sure you're aware) and it's often a matter of trial-and-error to find something that works. The studies involving treatment with anti-seizure meds show mixed results. You might also want to consider corticosteroids or intranasal Lidocaine to get some relief.

^^; Man, I sound like a complete contrarian, but I don't mean to.... See, I have a very very rare hormonal disorder, so I DO take corticosteroids, and lidocaine is actually ineffective on me.

I've never heard of intranasal lidocaine, though... that's awesome! :D

I guess seeing a new neurologist or epileptologist is my next step. Thanks, you guys!

(New input is always welcome.)

Back
Top Bottom