panic attack

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ekalina

New
Reaction score
Today my epileptologist diagnosed me with panic attacks and prescribed Cymbalta. I've heard good things about Cymbalta. I'm shocked about the panic attacks. I thought I was having severe withdrawals from Lamictal. I'm a nurse for God's sake. It NEVER occurred to me that I might be having a panic attack. It went on for three days.

Anyone else have problems with anxiety? Anyone with panic attacks that don't feel like heart attacks?

I don't have epilepsy, my son does but I have had many panic attacks, I have also had my fair share of seizures just never diagnosed with anything. My panic attacks did not feel like heart attacks but made me very sick. My heart would race to the point where I would vomit and faint, I would sweat and truly feel like I was going to die. They come out of no where, with no warning and no explanation. I took Klonapin as well as Zoloft and it truly helped. Panic attacks are very scary since your bodies response is as if you were being chased by a pack of dogs. Good luck to you, I hope you find a medicine or therapy that can help you through this. I eventually was able to stop the drugs and although I at times get "panicky" I no longer have panic attacks.

ekalina, I have epilepsy, social anxiety disorder and suffer from severe panic attacks. i can tell the difference between panic attacks and t/c seizures because when i have a t/c it starts on the left side of my body but when i have a panic attack my whole body will shake at the same time. i got cold chills, then the sweats, my heart will beat rapidly, i constantly have to move around, my mind races, i hyperventilate sometimes. its crazy. so i know exactly where you're coming from. however, i do not take cymbalta. my psychiatrist has me on lexapro for the social anxiety disorder and to counteract the side effects of my anti-convulsants and i am on xanax for when i have panic attacks. the xanax is a miracle drug for me. it is a quick acting sedative that really calms me down and stops my panic attacks. but yes, i know exactly you're going through

Thanks for the responses! I only ever hear people talking about panic attacks feeling like heart attacks. The one I went through caused n/v, tingling in my extremities, blurred vision, altered hearing and the twilight zone consciousness I get if I miss my meds or am late. I could barely keep my head on my shoulders and felt like I would have a grand mal or pass out at any second.

It went on like that for two whole days, by the third day I was still having everything except the nausea but the other symptoms weren't as bad and the last two days of the week I would get this pressure in my head, like when you're taking off in an airplane. The "head pressure" started at around noon for two straight days. I would also feel dizzy.

Most of all these symptoms the last few days of the week would dissipate remarkably when I would get up from my desk at work. I thought the computer screen was bugging me. My boss had been gone for a week and I was in charge of the dept the whole time.

I'm not surprised that this happened, I've been under a lot of stress for a long time. I knew it was a matter of time before I crashed and burned. Still, I feel as if maybe I'm a weak person. Like I didn't stand up to the test. I have never thought that about anyone who had panic attacks. I just think that about myself.

Well panic attacks or anxiety is common with E patients. I too suffer with it and have a hard time explaining others why I am so low, so depressed and sometimes lots of tears to get rid of it. lom Yoga helped me a lot. Kapal bhati, anulom vilom and bhramari did magic. Meditation also helps.

It is very hard for me to meditate due to my panic attacks. ekalina, sometimes panic attacks are the worst when you're driving. Because you are confined into such a small space. And if you wear your seatbelt, like I do you feel so stuck. It's a terrible feeling and you REALLY flip out. I always have to pull the car over, get out and walk around if I don't have my pills on me.

And you are not weak. I am far from it, and I have terrible panic attacks. And thes syptoms you named I have as well. It feels as though I am about to have a t/c. One time when my psychiatrist wasn't available I had to go to the E.R. and the doctor there said a panic attack can't throw you into a seizure but I disagree.

Back
Top Bottom