partial seizure status

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MAB

New
Reaction score
I have been in and out of simple partial status seizures since Sat. morning. I am now on klonipin around the clock and increased my lamictial. I am having another EEG that will probably show nothing and MRI and MRA's. She also told me I need to start using MORE salt everyday. Yuck!

I thought having simple partials was no big deal but I am miserable. At least I don't have any phantom odors to deal with this time.

WOW what a bummer MAB!! Those really mess with me and I know how you feel. Did she actually take blood and do an electrolyte level to see if anything else was off?

I thought having simple partials was no big deal but I am miserable.

A seizure is a seizure. I'm sure I don't have to say you want them gone. Try to relax and have an easy weekend.

WOW what a bummer MAB!! Those really mess with me and I know how you feel. Did she actually take blood and do an electrolyte level to see if anything else was off?

Yes, urine and blood work. My sodium level is low. My primary care doc did the same tests two days in row 2 months ago because the sodium level was so low. At that time my feet were cramping so bad I could hardly drive. I would have to pull over and get out of the car and work the cramps out of my feet and they would cramp up again before I could get back in the car. Lamictial levels won't be back until tomorrow.

I have been drinking Powerade (yuck) with 3/4 teaspoon of salt (double yuck). Both doctors told me to use more salt.

Do they think the Lamictal is causing your sodium levels to be so low? Are you on any other meds?

Do they think the Lamictal is causing your sodium levels to be so low? Are you on any other meds?

No my sodium levels are low because I don't like salt and I drink an extreme amount of liquids, 2-3 gallons er day. I am not diabetic. I am suppose to see a nephrologist but I haven't had time.

Last edited:
MAB, they do make salt pills. Over here they sell them off the shelves in pharmacies.

Have you always drunk that much water or is that a new thing? The sodium problems lamictal can cause do make you wildly thirsty, so you would end up drinking a lot. How low are your sodium levels?

When I had hyponatremia (low sodium caused by some AEDs) my doctor told me it was dangerous to take salt pills or increase salt intake, especially without reducing the liquids I was taking in. In any case, your issue is more likely caused by your fluid intake than your salt intake, so it'd make more sense to decrease fluids than to increase salt. If you do have hyponatremia, it'd very likely cause seizures because you might get cerebral odeama. Please clear time to see a nephrologist.

I have always for as long as I can remember, consumed large amounts of fluids. I was suppose to see a kidney doctor last month but had to cancel and haven't had time to reschedule.

I have always for as long as I can remember, consumed large amounts of fluids.

Like Kirsten said, hyponatremia can be brought on by drinking too much water. Plus, since you also have a thyroid problem, that can increase the possibility of hyponatremia. I too, had low sodium from an AED-Trileptal did it for me. And I have hypothyroid, too.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/basics/causes/CON-20031445

Certain medications.
Some medications, such as some water pills (diuretics), antidepressants and pain medications, can cause you to urinate or perspire more than normal.

Heart, kidney and liver problems.
Congestive heart failure and certain diseases affecting the kidneys or liver can cause fluids to accumulate in your body, which dilutes the sodium in your body, lowering the overall level.

Syndrome of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone (SIADH).
In this condition, high levels of the anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) are produced, causing your body to retain water instead of excreting it normally in your urine.

Chronic, severe vomiting or diarrhea.
This causes your body to lose fluids and electrolytes, such as sodium.

Drinking too much water.
Because you lose sodium through sweat, drinking too much water during endurance activities, such as marathons and triathlons, can dilute the sodium content of your blood. Drinking too much water at other times can also cause low sodium.

Dehydration.
Taking in too little fluid can also be a problem. If you get dehydrated, your body loses fluids and electrolytes.

Hormonal changes.
Adrenal gland insufficiency (Addison's disease) affects your adrenal glands' ability to produce hormones that help maintain your body's balance of sodium, potassium and water. Low levels of thyroid hormone also can cause a low blood-sodium level.

They gave me potassium both iv and then twice a day in pills for a week, after taking me off hydrochlorathyazide. It went up fine with the pills. Hope you feel better asap!

I finally feel well as of today. Went to the gym this morning. Of course the EEG I had last week was normal. I see the neuro tomorrow and have MrI and MRA's on Tuesday. I had to cut the klonipin to 1/2 mg during the day when I need it or else I am staggering.

Back
Top Bottom