Perampanel or Felbamate

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jann75

New
Reaction score
Has anyone tried either one of these medications? My doctor has talked to me about changing meds and I was just curious to anyone's opinions.
Thx in advance!

Perampanel is relatively new -- I think it only got approved by the FDA last October... be interesting to see how it shapes up.

Felbmate's been around since the 1990s, but it's usually only prescribed for folks with severe epilepsy because of the risk that it will cause aplastic anemia.
Here are a few threads about Felbamate from the CWE archives:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/felbamate-15576/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/new-here-there-any-one-out-there-who-felbamate-5940/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/felbamate-vs-vns-help-please-14505/

I was started on Felbamate about a year ago. No other medications have really helped my epilepsy but Felbamate has been working well. I still have a few seizures now and again but not at all like before. I am also on Lamictal which my doctor says clashes with Felbamate and so I get sick for awhile when I change doses until my body gets used to it. The goal is to completely go off of Lamictal and just take Felbamate.
When we first started talking about going on Felbamate and I read all the warnings about aplastic anemia and liver failure I completely freaked out but those side effects are rare. If you have had liver issues in the past though I would not recommend it. The worst side effects I've had are obviously sickness, dizzyness, tired a lot, and headaches. But again the sickness can be contributed to mixing it with the Lamictal. If you have any other questions I would be happy to talk, I know how unnerving it can be

I took Felbatol back in the '90's when it first came out, but couldn't tolerate it. For me it caused severe migraines. And like Nakamova said, now it is usually prescribed for those with severe epilepsy. It was prescribe to me after a failed lobectomy.

Not to downplay the seriousness of this drug, but it sounds like the side effects are similar to most other seizure meds. I have been on Keppra for probably 10 years now and I can never get enough sleep. I sleep 8-10 hours a night and often catch a nap during the day. I have tried every trick in the book and nothing seems to work. It is one of the reasons I don't like this medication. I also get dizzy and have headaches, not to mention an entire laundry list of other side effects, but I think they may be related to the Zonegran.
I know that every medication works differently on each person, but is there a way to be seizure free without being tired,mean,bloated and having migraines twice a week??

but is there a way to be seizure free without being tired,mean,bloated and having migraines twice a week??

:agree: Same question I'm asking. I've been on Keppra for 10+ years along with trying 10 other drugs, having the VNS and as said before, a failed temporal lobectomy. The drugs that really did a number on me were Felbatol because of the daily migraines + depression. Sabril made me psychotic and suicidal. Most of the AED's do make one tired and have other side effects, unfortunately. So, you will have to weigh the consequences. Do you want to be seizure-free or suffer side-effects of meds? Talk to your neuro about it.

I know that every medication works differently on each person, but is there a way to be seizure free without being tired,mean,bloated and having migraines twice a week??
I'm doing pretty well on Lamictal. There are side effects, but none of the big ones that are on your list.

Back
Top Bottom